Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2004, 11:32 AM   #81
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Very cool! About the seafood - we don't actually know! I suspect some will catch and some will stop at fresh fish market and some won't bring any.... it'll all work out!

Can't wait.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #82

We had no idea!!!

Wow, someone on the vintage airstream email list just gave us this link, we had no idea you were out there!!! Way cool to meet all of you!! I wonder if we could actually pull off a trip to Beverly Beach next weekend. Are there still spaces left? I just posted for the first time about our airstream on the other list. Here's a bit about us:

My husband Ric and I have been lurking on this list for several months, asking a question or two, but staying mostly quiet because we know we are way early on the Airstream learning curve. When I met Ric, one of the first things I learned about him was that someday he wanted to own a vintage Airstream. Last spring, his dream came true... one Friday afternoon just before 5 p.m. he called me at work, and said a little too cheerfully, "How ya doin?" "Fine," I replied cautiously, "just getting ready to come home." He told me where he was (a ways out of town) and I asked, "What in the world are you doing there?!" He replied with great glee, "I just bought an Airstream!!"

And the rest, as they say, is history. Of course some would say we did it all wrong, first buying it and then learning about it... It's a 1964 Tradewind Land Yacht, needed pretty much everything redone... We named it Toaster Moon (long story...) Ric spent all summer doing all the grunt work (and hired someone who knew how to work on RVs to help with the stuff that took special knowledge) and I got to decorate it. Yes, it's been a money pit, no surprise there, huh? After we finished the inside, Ric took it to the closest real Airstream place to us (Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon) and got new wheels, tires, and the axle checked and all that, then we took it on our first trip. I would only allow us to go about 20 miles outside Portland Oregon where we live because I was kind of fearful of pulling this really big thing behind us. A special challenge for us is that our son, who is 25 now, is in a wheelchair. He went along of course. We also have to take our two little fluffy dogs everywhere we go.

Anyway, it was kind of crowded, but we had a great time, I made us spaghetti for dinner, we learned a lot (which led me to the post asking about where the grey water is supposed to go, we didn't know it was going to pour out on the ground, which led to us getting busted by the park ranger after he got a complaint, but now we know about those blue tank things, which we will get before spring). So that glorious autumn Saturday evening in our Toaster Moon led my husband, who is a singer/songwriter, to write a song... called In a Toaster Moon. I think it could become the Airstream Anthem. I think it's so beautiful, a very catchy tune that's hard to get out of your head...

If you'd like to hear it for yourselves, you can do so at
http://www.cdbaby.com/ricseaberg4

And by the way, we don't know any other vintage Airstream owners, I've never even seen the inside of one, we would love to meet you and see one another's airstreams... so if you are ever heading to Portland Oregon please let us know. We hope to be able to start making trips next summer. I look forward to retiring someday so we can take long trips and maybe even attend a rally!!

Sorry for such a long post, is there a word limit, guess I'll find out...

Marie and Ric in Portland, Oregon
mailtomaried@mac.com
toastermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:44 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Lightbulb Epiphany

I just realized after reviewing this thread that we will probably be the ONLY non-Vintage AS at the Coast Rally! And from what I've seen on some of your Forum photo posts, the Vintage AS's attending all seem to be great representations of their eras ! We're excited to be in such a group, where owners have spent so much time, $, and effort to revive their AS. It only goes without saying, I hope we have time to do some tours of your "twinkies"! Since we're new at this (RVing), and wanted to enjoy the advantages of Airstreaming ASAP, we opted to purchase new. However, refurbishing a Vintage AS still intrigues me now that I'm retired!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
We'll provide coffee....Starbuck's or equivalent (we have a 30 cup percolator we're bringing for mulled wine anyway) and bring blueberries for fruit (could use for healthy desert Saturday if no one has volunteered on this yet).
BTW....are we catching our own fish, clams, mussels? I haven't seen anyone stepping forward to provide these.
Jim
i will most definitely catch/bring/buy/steal fishy-type things for the stew. have a call in to friends to check on the status of tuna. this is for saturday night, right? i better go back and check the previous posts...i'm a little distracted right now, getting ready for my tow lesson

i too will have coffee and wine on board. and deli/snack items to share. i'm not much of a cook but i know how to buy really good prepared items
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #85

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Jim, you won't be completely alone. Frances, who is a new OR Unit member, will be bringing a brand new CCD Bambi on it's maiden voyage. Having been to a couple vintage rallys this summer, I'm really looking forward to seeing the CCD units in use, instead of just admiring them on the showroom floor

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #86

I spoke too soon...

I got a bit carried away thinking about attending our first rally that I forgot about two obligations we already have for next weekend, so we won't be able to attend...

I'm assuming this won't be the only opportunity...and that we'll have another opportunity to meet you and see your airstreams...

Marie
toastermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #87

1968 17' Caravel
Don't worry, Marie, I'm sure we'll have a chance to run into you at the next one.

What a great story about your Tradewind and your family. It will be great to meet you someday, and to share trailer stories. Sounds like you have done a lot of work, which is what makes you as expert as anyone else around here.

You would definitly have needed a blue tank for this trip as well, so I recommend you get one of those ordered before too long! We use ours a lot too. Seems the best places have no hookups!

I'll have to go check out that song now If you find you can come after all, we anticipate there will be open spots next to our group, so you could always drop by at the last minute.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:32 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I love it!

It's so great how this thing is taking off! Food Food Food! What more could one want? Ok, so I'll bring some extra bacon to grill (I've gotten pretty good at not burning it all!) and a fruit salad. So how many people to supply for? We're a family of four (girls ages 5 & 9). I think the last count was 7 trailers at two each?

Newsflash.... my MOTHER-IN-LAW is coming too???

Sigh,
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #89

1968 17' Caravel
14 people total on my list, 8 trailers. Oops, 15 people if your MIL is coming I actually wish I could get my Father in Law to come camping with us. I think it would be great if he'd take to trailering, then he could buy an RV and hit the road and we wouldn't see him but once a year...it just sounds too good to be true!

Thanks for pitching in with more food. What fun to have everyone eager to help out!

Old 11-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
14 people total on my list, 8 trailers. Oops, 15 people if your MIL is coming I actually wish I could get my Father in Law to come camping with us. I think it would be great if he'd take to trailering, then he could buy an RV and hit the road and we wouldn't see him but once a year...it just sounds too good to be true!

Thanks for pitching in with more food. What fun to have everyone eager to help out!
Uh, there may be a couple more. A friend of mine has offered to ride shotgun as moral support....unless her husband talks her out of it (what??? he doesn't trust me! but never fear, we will bring lots of goodies to share.

now that my first towing experience is behind me i have some questions/thoughts so i'll find the appropriate spot on the forum to post them.
1997 E350
Old 11-14-2004, 07:12 PM   #91

1968 17' Caravel
No problem, I don't think they will turn you away if my paperwork was wrong

Old 11-14-2004, 07:29 PM   #92
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Does she cook???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
It's so great how this thing is taking off! Food Food Food! What more could one want? Ok, so I'll bring some extra bacon to grill

Newsflash.... my MOTHER-IN-LAW is coming too???
Sigh,
Marc
More bacon is always good! And thanks for the fruit! I understand that if you eat fruit first your arteries are protected from bacon..???? or was that merlot..?? hmm...

AirForums Custom Search
Old 11-15-2004, 09:38 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Thumbs up Weather Report for the Week end

Just checked with NOAA on the weather for the Newport Oregon area.
Chance of rain 35% Thursday into the night.
Friday through Sunday 10% chance of rain.
Temperature should be in the 50's to mid 40's at night.
Bundle up it will be cool, but it looks like it's going to be a good weekend.
Please bring your outdoor propane heaters if you have one, for the Saturday night get together.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Just checked with NOAA on the weather for the Newport Oregon area.
Chance of rain 35% Thursday into the night.
Friday through Sunday 10% chance of rain.
Temperature should be in the 50's to mid 40's at night.
Bundle up it will be cool, but it looks like it's going to be a good weekend.
Please bring your outdoor propane heaters if you have one, for the Saturday night get together.
Gary,
I don't have a propane heater....are we allowed to have a campfire pre/during/after dinner at our group site?? Won't that be sufficient for keeping our tootsies comfy?

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 11-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #95
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Gary,
I don't have a propane heater....are we allowed to have a campfire pre/during/after dinner at our group site?? Won't that be sufficient for keeping our tootsies comfy?

Jim
There are fire pits at every site - shouldn't be a problem.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 11-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #96

1968 17' Caravel
Important Information for all Attendees...

Ok, we're getting pretty close now. Officially we should not arrive before 4pm on Friday, but I believe some people are going to get there a day early so they will be waiting for us.

When you get there know your spot assignment
NettiePDX in pull-through #G28
Coastal Me in #G29
Janet & Gary are taking #G30
3Ms75Argosy are taking #G31
Stefrobrts in #G32
JordanDVM in #G33
Frances (not on the forum) in #G34
71Safari in #G35
CampCollector finding his own spot

These are all next to or across from each other in the G-Loop.

Know how to get there and find your spot.
Here's a link to the park site which has the maps online - look at the park brochure for details

Beverly Beach State Park

I talked to the park ranger and he said the booth will be closed because it is off season. So that's why it's important to have an idea of where you are going.

They also want you to know - If you're coming from 101 S of Newport be aware the Cape Creek Tunnel is closed after 8pm until 6am Sundays through Thursdays until December for construction.

We will be there Friday Afternoon, and we have the final paperwork and the receipts to put on your dash for the day-use areas. So when you get parked find us and we'll finish up the signing in then.

If anyone else decides to join us at the last minute, find your own spot and self register. There should be open spots next to our group.

I think that's everything, can't wait to see everyone there!

Old 11-18-2004, 08:53 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Ok, we're getting pretty close now. Officially we should not arrive before 4pm on Friday, but I believe some people are going to get there a day early so they will be waiting for us.

When you get there know your spot assignment
NettiePDX in pull-through #G28
Coastal Me in #G29
Janet & Gary are taking #G30
3Ms75Argosy are taking #G31
Stefrobrts in #G32
JordanDVM in #G33
Frances (not on the forum) in #G34
71Safari in #G35
CampCollector finding his own spot

These are all next to or across from each other in the G-Loop.

I think that's everything, can't wait to see everyone there!
Stef, thanks for all your work on this. I'll be internet-less in about 20 minutes so.....see ya on the coast!
1997 E350
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #98
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Be sure to take lots of pictures.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Pics of Beverly Beach Forums Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Be sure to take lots of pictures.

OK.....here's some pics....albeit a little late (I even duplicated some pics somehow, and can't figure out how to delete them). We had a great time (thanks Stephanie)!They are on my Forums Photos section (key words: Beverly Beach). Hopefully this will wet your appetite to attend another Forums Rally in the Pacific Northwest.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Jim - that was fun! I enjoyed looking back at the pics again. I can't wait to get together again. Where did you go on your maiden voyage? I'm sure you're enjoying the space of the new 28ft'r. How's it tow - and do you notice the additional width?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote