Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Which CG do you want to go to for New Years Eve? (only vote if attending)
Normandy Farms in MA 6 100.00%
Danforth Bay in NH 0 0%
Strawberry Park in CT 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Camping for New Years Eve?

Has anyone else ever camped in their Airstream over New Years Eve? If so, tell us more about your adventures.

It seems that the New England Unit is on a roll this year and aren't letting the cold weather keep them away from camping.

rgesch had a great idea about seeing if there is any interest in camping in New England for New Years Eve. I thought the idea was so good, it deserved its own thread!

We love to try different things every year for New Years Eve so we would be up for considering a camping trip. Anyone else interested?

I posted this as a forum rally event so all would be welcome to join us.

Let me know if you know of any other New England campgrounds besides Normandy Farms and Danforth Bay that are open that time of year.

We New Englanders would really show a good time to any "beachbirds" from Florida that might want to join us (along with anyone else from other states)!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
That would be awesome. Unfortunately we'll be returning from Smugglers Notch on New Years. I'm thinking a lighted ball could drop from a flagpole at midnight to ring in the New Year.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Sounds like a great idea although I don't know how much I'd enjoy pulling in the snow if it should fly. I guess we'll see how this weekend goes...totally new to colder weather camping and I can't wait. Going to get the down comforters out! It's gonna be nice and cozy I hope! I'm all for trying something new on New Years...We could drop a Silver Ball!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Any thoughts on location?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Any thoughts on location?
Not yet ... let us know if you know of any CG that are still open that time of year. As I indicated in my earlier post, I only know of two in NE area.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Sounds like a great idea although I don't know how much I'd enjoy pulling in the snow if it should fly. I guess we'll see how this weekend goes...totally new to colder weather camping and I can't wait.
That's me and my dog in my Avatar back in the mid '70's at a January Metro NY unit rally always run by Herb Gross who is still very active in the WBCCI. It snowed at least a foot that weekend. No hookups or bath facilites. This was at Macedonia State park in Kent CT. Dr. Gross pulled everyone out with the winch on the front of his 4wd TavelAll. Note the TV of choice was the family station wagon or sedan. Only the DigIts had trucks with 4wd back then. The term SUV or mini van was still a few years away. It's been my goal to get out in Jan/Feb, but this great opportunity to go with a great group will have to wait for another time.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
All the campgrounds are open in sunny Florida that time of year.. Too cold up there for this beach bird I live about 5 miles from the beach yall come on down to the beach.....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
New Years Camping!

Hello all -

Saw the New Years camping question.... and it rekindled the memories of last year. We went to Carlsbad NM the last week of 05, and then did a New Years Eve cruise on the Pecos River - the banks are decorated by every home up and down the river. Came home the 4th or 5th as I recall.

It was LOVELY! It did get cold - near freezing on the 31/1st (I know, I know!!! Wussies!). Grew up in Chicago so I DO know how good we have it here.

Anyway, I can heartly endourse the idea of the New Years camping trip. Always plenty of room at the CG's and NO lines at the attractions that are still open.... Hot Toddy's or your favorite beverage keep the mood festive no matter the weather!

Hope that you have as much fun over this New Years as we did last New Years.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Last year my wife and I spent New Years Eve in our Airstream at a campground over near Washington, D.C. We were married on New Years Eve, 25th years ago, and celebrated our anniversary by returning to where we went on our honeymoon. It was all we could afford at the time. We plan to do it again.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
All the campgrounds are open in sunny Florida that time of year.. Too cold up there for this beach bird I live about 5 miles from the beach yall come on down to the beach.....SAM
How many rigs can you fit in your yard?

Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
New Years Eve Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Not yet ... let us know if you know of any CG that are still open that time of year. As I indicated in my earlier post, I only know of two in NE area.
I have several in mind depending on how many interested parties And the activitiys. Meredith Woods for one and Crows Nest Campground as a second. Danforth Bay is perfect but I think they are booked already.

I would be interested in the number of serious takers on this!!!! Then I would list the attributes of both and then the potential attendee's can decide. How about that?
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
One year my wife and I spent New Year's Eve in Jackson Center, OH. Check out my web page, Travels With Chummy, for the complete story.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
I have several in mind depending on how many interested parties And the activitiys. Meredith Woods for one and Crows Nest Campground as a second. Danforth Bay is perfect but I think they are booked already.
Can you tell us where abouts these sites are?

PS: We're 99% in!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch

I would be interested in the number of serious takers on this!!!! Then I would list the attributes of both and then the potential attendee's can decide. How about that?
BTW, Danforth Bay is not booked. I called them yesterday and they indicated that all upper level pull thru sites are open and available as are all the cabins.

Go ahead and list the attributes of all. By doing that you potentially increase the number of serious takers!

Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
BTW, Danforth Bay is not booked. I called them yesterday and they indicated that all upper level pull thru sites are open and available as are all the cabins.

Go ahead and list the attributes of all. By doing that you potentially increase the number of serious takers!
We spend every New Years Eve in Center Ossipee, NH - 6 to 8 miles from Danforth Bay. Let us know what is decided, If it's Danforth Bay we would be able to join in on the fun during the day and New Years eve/night. We'd just need to go back & forth between the campground and our vacation home to keep the woodstoves running (as this is the only way we heat the place) so our cats stay warm! We have four.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Has anyone else ever camped in their Airstream over New Years Eve? If so, tell us more about your adventures.

It seems that the New England Unit is on a roll this year and aren't letting the cold weather keep them away from camping.

rgesch had a great idea about seeing if there is any interest in camping in New England for New Years Eve. I thought the idea was so good, it deserved its own thread!

We love to try different things every year for New Years Eve so we would be up for considering a camping trip. Anyone else interested?

I posted this as a forum rally event so all would be welcome to join us.

Let me know if you know of any other New England campgrounds besides Normandy Farms and Danforth Bay that are open that time of year.

We New Englanders would really show a good time to any "beachbirds" from Florida that might want to join us (along with anyone else from other states)!
We will most likely be spending it in our cabin with a bonfire out side. Keep us posted tho!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
If my sister invites us to Ossippee (hint) we would love commute back and forth also. Scatterbug will be winterized and snuggled in MyBoyBurt's barn for the winter.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyo
If my sister invites us to Ossippee (hint) we would love commute back and forth also. Scatterbug will be winterized and snuggled in MyBoyBurt's barn for the winter.
Of course you are invited.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Cool. A summer of poor Rick working 24-7 I am looking forward to some socializing!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we went camping in S Fla for N Years our first year as Airstreamers. The weather turned and it dropped into the low 30's. Surprised everyone, and we froze as I had not gotten the furnace working yet.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote