Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
'75 Sovereign appliances

THis is probably dumb question but newby to RVs ,when you turn on gas do you have to light all appliances to prevent leakage from pilots.i only need water heater so I assume I need to shut off others to prevent leakage.also hot water heater is straight gas I believe can I buy an electric/gas one to replace and what would y'all recommend.thanks again for such a great resource.
Ofdtruckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey ofdtruckie the only appliance that you will need to actually shut off manually is the stove. The stove has a pilot light which is used to ignite the stove top burners.
If you lift the cover and then lift up the stainelss cook top from the front it will expose the shut off valve which is at the right front corner of the stove.
The water heater, furnace and fridge have gas valves which will not allow any gas to flow until the appliance is actually light.
On your model trailer there will be individual shut off valves to each appliance located outside the trailer mounted to the bottom of the belly pan. Most likely they will be siezed or frozen in place unless they have been used regularly.

The original water heater is a Bowen Model, a 10 gallon one. Atwood makes a 10 gallon version with both electronic ignition for the gas and a built in electric heating element. You will need to run 12 VDC to the control switches which will need to be mounted somewhere convienient inside the trailer, like in the bathroom. You will also need to supply the water heater wilth 110 VAC power for the electric element.
LP Gas Water Heaters from Atwood - PPL Motor Homes

Your original furnace is a Suburban model
This is the replacement for it. Once again it is electronic ignition and you will need to supply 12VDC to the furnace. Suburban NT-30SP. The unit is smaller than original so you will need to fabricate a platform for it to sit on. That way you can us ethe original venting holes in the shell of the trailer. You will also need to rework the ducting sysytem to supply hot air throughout the trailer.
Suburban RV Furnace - NT Series on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

For stoves and fridges there are several options to choose from. None of them are exactly the same dimensions as the originals so mods to the cabinets will be required to make them fit.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Thank you so much for the quick response and the thorough answer you fixed my problem.I'm going up to stay with my two little girls for thanksgiving and want to be safe.i kept smelling gas and so I would heat up water and shut gas off I figured I was doing something wrong but your right valves are frozen so I'll replace soon.thanks again JB
Ofdtruckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign