Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
WBCCI doesn't own the forums

I thought this was very important to read! Seems what we thought, is indeed true.

Quote from: Tom Collier
I received your email regarding your conversation with Mr. Gibson. I regret that the exchange was not polite.

One of the items you mentioned was WBCCI's association with the forum. We are linked to the forum only as a customer and have control only for the rules of our site. WBCCI receives the service, at no cost, as a benefit for our membership. Proceeds from the classified advertisements go to the owner of the forum and not to WBCCI.

Our grievance policy states that a grievance is filed between WBCCI members. Again, I deeply regret that Greg Gibson was rude to you. We would prefer that all our members have good manners and public relations skills. I ask that you please not judge our organization based on the actions of one member.

Sincerely,

Tom Collier

This letter was not sent to myself, however, I was able to see it on the savewally.org forums. I felt the members should know who own the forums!

See more at SAVE WALLY
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Exactly why I don't participate

wow - I'm so anti this new WBCCI forum.. there's been just something about it since it opened.. and now I know why... does this mean that Greg is the owner? If not owned by the club... then I'm not participating to give someone an income!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Very True Rob. Well put!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Just remember folks, Andy makes money on this site, look at all the ads here. I say kudo's to Andy, to be able to make money and give us a great forum. I agree, the WBCCI should own their site. I talked to the International V.P. last week about it and the reason they didn't go with starting their own was cost. This was a way of getting a better forum then they had at no cost to the club.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That's is not correct ..cost?

They are soooo out of touch with the Internet, advise was offered.

This forum software that we all use cost $180

If the club needs to worry about that cost we all need to know where our dues go.

Gibson is their pet, you always love your pet no matter what they do.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The decision was a very unfortunate and uninformed one. It would seem to violate the conflict of interest requirements of the club's bylaws. The donation of the service should be canceled immediately and the club should pay the $500 to own their own forums. Our new forums would be free of ads that benefit only one member and should be moderated only by people who are members.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
right!

Any money made by the forums should be going to the club... not one member.... oh well.. maybe the IBT is using it to pay for their "in the red" costs of International... I won't be paying for that... I'll remain a member, to stay with the WDCU, but not for an International.. until changes are made. I offered some changes to the leadership, but was told I was cheap, and that if I was truly into it, I'd find a way... WRONG answer!
Courtesy parking

Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Meh, its just the internet folks, who really cares who owns it as long as it promotes the club. I suppose I'm just too young to care.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Just remember folks, Andy makes money on this site, look at all the ads here. I say kudo's to Andy, to be able to make money and give us a great forum.
Some of the ads here at AIR are rally ads. They are FREE to AIR members - heck we'll even design them for you. The classifieds are also FREE. The key here is to have content that is valuable to members and remembering why we all log in. It's about Airstreams, camping, nice people and having fun.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The decision was a very unfortunate and uninformed one. It would seem to violate the conflict of interest requirements of the club's bylaws. The donation of the service should be canceled immediately and the club should pay the $500 to own their own forums. Our new forums would be free of ads that benefit only one member and should be moderated only by people who are members.
Actually - The Charlie Burke had a "Zero Cost" option in front of him and he turned it down. I had offered to set up the whole thing for free in lieu of using Mr. Gibson's hosting - all for free in the interest of the club having and owning the whole thing.
The cost - Free. Software - free. Cost of a classified ad to the member - free. Number of "cooperative links to the vendor providing the service - zero. Number of banner ads that help the club - well, that depends of what the club wants.

Here is a question - for those of you actually using the forums, how many of you are getting blank pages or server timeout messages? Well, I as well as a few others are. A very clever girl may have found the answer. Apparently - there is a nice little hack that can target individuals and make them get blank pages, make them wait a long time for a page to load, make the "Server Busy" message pop up and all sorts of nasty things.
I can't prove it, but I suspect that the powers that be over at those forums may have installed that hack and may be using it to target certain users.
The info is HERE.
I have asked Cindy Reed to look into the matter and have given her all of the information.
BTW - If you ARE having trouble using the forums, please let me know by PM'ing me. I am compiling a list of others like myself who may be blocked or otherwise prevented from viewing the forums. I am a member in good standing in the WBCCI - If this is a "member benefit" and if I am indeed being blocked or otherwise screwed with, should I tolerate this?
IF........
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I am a member of that forum and check it many times a day. I have NEVER had trouble accessing it or received a "server busy" message. It was down several hours this morning for "maintenance and software upgrades"
I hate to think that any member of the public or of the club would be blocked from viewing the public pages however it appears to be happening. This appears to be round 2.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yes - and I have just received some more information that the Miserable Users hack is indeed probably installed. Awaiting the proof... What users are attributed, and more importantly, what IP addressses are attributed to those members will be the important key. You can add a user to the forums with any name - say that it was a spammer of sorts and add that to the Miserable users list. And for that user, attribute any IP address - like mine or another outspoken user of the forums - and press the save button. Bam - user effective blocked.
If that is the case, i would be asking for the server logs - the admin logs, the users logs for the forums and I would ask the simple question - why use this hack when you can just ban the IP address? Why screw with people??? Oh wait - I think I know that answer.
I can use a proxy and do to view the forums. It is pretty hard to block them, but there are ways to try. Problem is that eventually, you block the very people you actually WANT to see your forums.
Bottom line is this - it is still Gibson's forums and he can block whomever he wants. What say does WBCCI have?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I thought this was very important to read! Seems what we thought, is indeed true.

Quote from: Tom Collier
I received your email regarding your conversation with Mr. Gibson. I regret that the exchange was not polite.

One of the items you mentioned was WBCCI's association with the forum. We are linked to the forum only as a customer and have control only for the rules of our site. WBCCI receives the service, at no cost, as a benefit for our membership. Proceeds from the classified advertisements go to the owner of the forum and not to WBCCI.

Our grievance policy states that a grievance is filed between WBCCI members. Again, I deeply regret that Greg Gibson was rude to you. We would prefer that all our members have good manners and public relations skills. I ask that you please not judge our organization based on the actions of one member.

Sincerely,

Tom Collier

This letter was not sent to myself, however, I was able to see it on the savewally.org forums. I felt the members should know who own the forums!

See more at SAVE WALLY
WBCCI not owning their own forum is about the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. This is what happens at all levels of the club when a handful of people need to keep absolute controll.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Only if

Only if I could go on there, and click, and click, to get a percentage off my annual dues based on utilization rate and $$$ I make...... only if.. I know, I'm dreaming, or make the IBT their money back on all their loses.... what a shame.
Courtesy parking

Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
WBCCI not owning their own forum is about the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. This is what happens at all levels of the club when a handful of people need to keep absolute controll.
No one ever said the folks that run the WBCCI/IBT where or are in touch with the internet world or the members.
Sadly the new website is as useless to me as the Blue Beret magazine.
But as long as we have units like the 4CU I will just keep having fun with them and let the one that run the WBCCI have their fun thinking they are running the WBCCI.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Achy Breaky Blues There's plenty of activity from Gibson's forum now.

WBCCI Forums are not WBCCI's

photography
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I knew there was something wrong from the very beginning. I was contacted by Greg back in June - before the website was launched to the public- to start a virtual unit via the new forums. I of course said that I was a happy member and officer of the WDCU and had no reason to charter another unit. Then I posed the question: Wouldn't a new unit have to be chartered through headquarters? and got the response: no we could just start a virtual one via the forums! At this point I severed communication with this individual.

The whole thing is bad news- we have a great forum here to talk about everything Airstream- not just WBCCI- and let the units of WBCCI develop their own forms of communication (facebook, yahoo groups, ect).
Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Bordentown , New Jersey
Just to let everyone know this is why I dont belong to WBCCI and any other "you do as we say" organization. Quit or shut up... this is lame and getting no where. Stop whinning and get a life!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are a few bad apples in any organization. It is up to the members to let the leaders know that there should be some corrections made. If the leaders do not do it, then the general membership should make a bigger noise so the leaders are aware how many members are upset. To crawl under a rock is no way to solve the problem.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Uh...I actually prefer forums that aren't owned by the organization in question. I find them to be much more impartial. For example, if you're on a forum owned by XYZ Corp, and you say something bad about a product, sometimes XYZ Corp will delete the posts... quite stifling for discussion. Not every "independently" owned forum is better, mind you - some will bow over to demands from the organization in question - but usually they are.

And I doubt he's making money on it. He's lucky if he is breaking even. I say this as someone that runs his own forums for the B-van (which I don't have ads on - I pay for it out of my pocket, because I know I'd never sell enough ads to make it worthwhile) along with two other websites. I pay about $200/year for my hosting, and my sites aren't even that popular - something like the WBCCI forums, with more users, would certainly cost quite a bit more.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com