Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
Wally's classic gold AS up close & personal

Well, we rolled into the factory for some work this coming week. We were here about a month ago for some warranty items and had a great time getting to know some AS history and more about the iconic larger than life Wally Byam. His little classic gold trailer that he and Stella shared was off in the distance behind locked gates. Imagine our surprise when we saw it just outside the service center this morning! Looks like they are finally going to refurbish it and put it where it belongs with some other vintage classics in front of the factory. It also happened to be open so we popped our heads in for quick look and even got a few pics. Given that rig's travel history, the factory should really put it up on a pedestal out front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallyAS.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	87353   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallyAS2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	87354  

Name:	wallyAS3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	87355  
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have never seen the inside. We have seen it at the factory but only from the outside. Thanks for the pictures!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Thanks for the pictures. Is it painted, anodized, or what?
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow! It needs a sign that says 'Wally slept here'!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The trailer skin is anodized gold, but not holding up very well. The interior looks much better then when PeeWee described the condition. The folks at JC must have done some work to it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
This is Not Wally's Trailer!

Unfortunately this trailer was designed for his loving wife, Stella. Put this in your notebook. I have an innitial drawing made by Wally in 1956 on the 1st European Caravan. The sketch is Stella's dream trailer. The only difference between the sketch and the original floor plan is the referigerator is on the roadside in the original trailer, and on the curbside in the drawing.

Today the trailer has undergone extreme color changes. Annodized aluminum just doesn't hold up.

I owned the trailer for seven years. I sold it when I found that it would have to sit on a lot and not be used. This creates the rotten wood, rats in the floor and whatever other syndromes you wish to image.

Unfortanely the person who bought the trailer, really want to brag about the "Gold Trailer" and he did. Sadly he gutted the trailer, ruined the original custom floor plan and striped the sides. A real sad course of events.

Today it sits at Jackson Center. I recently went through it. There are a few original cabinets, but the floor plan has changed. The outside has been commented on by just about everyone visiting the plant. The cost of restoring it is probably more than any restoration ever done by any vintage owner, including the very wealthy movie stars.

Having said that, it is still a classic memory for me.

Here is a pic from the past when I owned it.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jul (396).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	951.2 KB
ID:	87957