Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2004, 06:47 AM   #21
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
Polybagging

Polybagging (the plastic bag option Jcanavera mentioned) costs about $700 for 8,000 magazines, including ink jetting a mailing label onto the bag. 8,000 is roughly the number of Blue Berets mailed monthly. This is from our printer's most recent quote.

We will be polybagging Airstream Life.
Airstream Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:56 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Polybagging

Quote:
Originally posted by Airstream Life
Polybagging (the plastic bag option Jcanavera mentioned) costs about $700 for 8,000 magazines,
We will be polybagging Airstream Life.
Hmm that figures out to about $.09 per copy. Heck I'll pay $1.08 more a year. This would seem to be a no brainer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:16 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Blue Beret

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
I am trying to figure out the delivery schedule for the Blue Beret.

Does anyone know the schedule?

Also, what condition is your magazine when it shows up?
Mine is typically tattered. I am wondering if it is my mail person or are the magazines tattered prior to departure from WBCCI.

I wish they would package them like some other magazines do.

Smily
Ken... nice article. Well Done!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #24
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
BB Packaging

Talked to WBCCI this morning and mentioned this thread.
They are looking into packaging pricing and practicality.

They were not aware of damaged mags prior to today and this forum.

See they are listening, you just gotta speak.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #25
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
My copy of the BB comes in a big white envelope ... is it the same way for everyone else?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nope...when the did arrive, they arrived like a plain old magazine.

The must send them in envelopes to the "Classic" owners!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:05 PM   #27
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

Hmmm... I've got a Classic... my comes without wrapping... should I feel slighted? <whimper, sniff>

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #28
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Maybe its a Canadian thing. My Blue Beret comes in a large white envelope too. Never had a problem with shredding, torn, etc. Must agree, though there isn't much interest for those of us who are gainfully employed. I wonder if I could convince my boss that I need to take 50 days off to go on an Airstream Caravan - not bloody likely!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
They really need to revamp the Blue Beret. I agree with what was said above, if you are not going to caravan, then it does not mean too much and will just get tossed.

They need to put in a wide variety of articles, especially how to, tips, and advice articles. If you compare to the Escapees mag, you will see what I mean. That mag gets a serious read from me every time. I especially liked the article from an executive of a trucking company on RV driver tips. Learned a lot from that one!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Malcolm & Katalin,

In this modern day of electronics, maybe we could convince our management teams of the value of telecommuting. What with wirless connectivity, laptops, PDAs etc, It wouldn't matter if we where in our Airstream overlooking a flowing stream in some remote spot. Actually, I did do this last year. My spouse wanted to attend a church meeting in Knoxsville (we live in Daytona Beach area)and I had pressing work that couldn't be put on hold. I convinced my Manager to let me go and I would telecommute during the day and be with the wife in the evening. It was great! We stayed in a park right on the little Pigeon Forge River and I used my wireless and cell phone to do my business. YOu could really get use to that!!!!!
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #31

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:

Buzzzzzzz....I'm sorry sir but your answer is incorrect. Now on the serious side I was getting it in an envelope prior to me becoming a member. I guess they did that because maybe the magazine was being packaged at Jackson Center for non members as a recruuitment issue. Whereas once you belong your address is printed on the cover and it is maybe drop shipped by the publisher so Jackson Center folks aren't involved.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-05-2004, 03:32 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

update format content

I do enjoy my mag but the content being broadened in scope and updated would be more important to me than the roughed up condition they sometimes arrive in. Not to say they shouldn't be in better shape but content is the biggest deal.

I saw where the factory had a 4 month backlog, so sales are up but I also saw where Airstreams represent around 1 percent of RV'sout there nationally according to cable tv, but have about 50 percent in name recognition....this leads me to think management could capitalize on the name and revitalizing the mag is one of many steps in doing that....jem

p.s. This is meant in a consructive manner.
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:33 PM   #33
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

Buzzzzzzz....I'm sorry sir but your answer is incorrect. Now on the serious side I was getting it in an envelope prior to me becoming a member. I guess they did that because maybe the magazine was being packaged at Jackson Center for non members as a recruuitment issue. Whereas once you belong your address is printed on the cover and it is maybe drop shipped by the publisher so Jackson Center folks aren't involved.

Jack
Sorry, but Richard Dawson's buzzer is suspended....

I can't believe I am going to say this, let alone admit it.........and without my flame suit on.......

Survey said!

Ding!

I was a member. I have numbers....mine never came in an envelope.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
They really need to revamp the Blue Beret. I agree with what was said above, if you are not going to caravan, then it does not mean too much and will just get tossed.

They need to put in a wide variety of articles, especially how to, tips, and advice articles.
We just joined the WBCCI this week and I got a Dec.'03 Blue Beret from one of the members. I was reading it today, our one and only, but was disappointed at the very narrow scope outside of the caravans. Maybe that's where Airstream Life will fill the void.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #35

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
I was a member. I have numbers....mine never came in an envelope.
I think Eric you were one of the folks who got the first year free. Maybe they didn't send out the recruitment copies like they did with me. I missed the requirments for the free first year membership by three weeks so I had to be recruited. Maybe in that case you get the enveloped copies.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Davydd,

We signed onto the WBCCI as well to join the VAC. The Blue Beret is different now, than when I was a kid 25 years ago. There were entertaining and informational articles by George James and others.
We have yet to see a VAC Newsletter. Been in contact with the powers-to-be, but am getting discouraged now. Our dues check for the VAC was sent in August 2003, cashed November 2003.
I realize all the offices are voluntary, but I am wondering how we keep falling between the cracks.
Anyone wish to loan theirs so we can copy it?
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can see some of the old VAC issues on line at the VAC website. I think the issues go through 2001

Ken J
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Davydd,

Thanks for the insight on the VAC website. However, while infomative, its just not like having an original. Many have received past copies, as well as current. I have been contacted by Scot S who has taken over VAC membership, but he has no more copies of the newsletter past or present to send out.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb zip code driven

smiley
Quote:
I am trying to figure out the delivery schedule for the Blue Beret.
I'll bet you it a zip code driven thing..in other words, the lower # your zip is..the sooner you'll be likely to get your copy first..
Just a thought.
The other side of the coin says this to me..There's only 10k in total membership..Might not make any differences at all..
I just got mine, Feb 4th and, my zip is 03031..If that's any help.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I just received my copy of the Blue Beret. Nice work smillie. I have started to read through it and I see that yes it is geared to the retired crowd. But what "Working stiff" has time to caravan?? Yes the WBCCI is for people that are retired. OK, I will be too one day and when the time comes I hope that my wife and I can go on some of the caravans. I guess it is the newbee in me coming out, but the WBCCI is an exclusive club and that is kind of cool. There is always something that can be learned from everyone you meet and everything you do.

Think about it, there are 60% of all Airstreams built still on the road. I hope to add to that figure soon. Airstream represents what was it, 5% of the "RV" market. That makes Airstream owners a special groupe. Now of that 5% only 1% are WBCCI members..... that makes them a little more rare. They are the elders of the group. Learn from them, they may know something you do not, or have tried something and failed. Or see what they are doing that you do not like and learn how to not do that.

Like Tin-hut said, look at the Shriners, or the Freemasions heck the Loyal order of the Moose. Funny hats and different dress. It sets you apart from the crowd.

Airstream owners have more in common than first meets the eye.

I for one am going to live through the others out there camping with the functioning trailers till I can get mine on the road. Then take what I have learned and try to apply it as best I can.

Off the *soap box*
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote