Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Bonaventures

2021 Interstate 24GT
Amherst , New York
Wire Splice on Airstream Connected Router

Looking for some feedback to determine if I have a dealer problem, a manufacturer problem or potentially both.

We recently took delivery of a 2021 Interstate Grand Tour EXT. Well before delivery, I ordered (through the dealer for installation prior to pickup) the Airstream Connected router. At delivery, the router was “installed”. When I went to activate the Airstream Connected service, I discovered that the router was not getting power. Upon inspection, I noticed that the power into the router was not wired to the power terminal block, but rather, through a spliced connection to the 12V-28V DC Jack. To my amazement, the spliced connection was wrapped in black electrical tape without even a wire nut. When I contacted the dealer about the lack of power and the janky wire splice, they indicated that the splicing was done at the factory by Airstream and all they did was connect the router to the antenna cables.

Wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with a factory black tape wire splice or am I getting a line of BS from my dealer?
tgilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgilbride View Post
Looking for some feedback to determine if I have a dealer problem, a manufacturer problem or potentially both.

We recently took delivery of a 2021 Interstate Grand Tour EXT. Well before delivery, I ordered (through the dealer for installation prior to pickup) the Airstream Connected router. At delivery, the router was “installed”. When I went to activate the Airstream Connected service, I discovered that the router was not getting power. Upon inspection, I noticed that the power into the router was not wired to the power terminal block, but rather, through a spliced connection to the 12V-28V DC Jack. To my amazement, the spliced connection was wrapped in black electrical tape without even a wire nut. When I contacted the dealer about the lack of power and the janky wire splice, they indicated that the splicing was done at the factory by Airstream and all they did was connect the router to the antenna cables.

Wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with a factory black tape wire splice or am I getting a line of BS from my dealer?
I believe you are getting a line from your dealer. Airstream uses square clear connectors to do splicing. They hold very well and you can see the splice. These are the same connectors used in cabinet lights.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Not sure, I highly doubt Airstream is responsible for that. I will never visit my local service department ever again!!! They were awe full...both times. It was so ridiculous, I will not give them a third attempt.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgilbride View Post
We recently took delivery of a 2021 Interstate Grand Tour EXT. Well before delivery, I ordered (through the dealer for installation prior to pickup) the Airstream Connected router. At delivery, the router was “installed”. When I went to activate the Airstream Connected service, I discovered that the router was not getting power. Upon inspection, I noticed that the power into the router was not wired to the power terminal block, but rather, through a spliced connection to the 12V-28V DC Jack.
Did the Dealer give you the key to the powered "Wi-Fi" switch in the DC panel which turns power off and on for the router? If not, I'm guessing they didn't have the key and may have bypassed that switch altogether. If they did, then that router really is plug and play, and powered by that keyed switch, so I'm not sure why they would wire it anywhere else.
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Bonaventures

2021 Interstate 24GT
Amherst , New York
Thank you!!! I tried all the keys that came with the coach and fortunately 1 of them worked on the "powered Wi-Fi switch" on the panel you referred to. That powered up the router. It might've been helpful if the dealer had explained that on the delivery walk-through. Now my only issue is the quality of what looks to be the dealer's shoddy wire splicing, which I'll end up fixing myself. Very much appreciate your cluing me into the keyed switch.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Frisco , Texas
I just took delivery this past weekend; April 17th. Your splice job sounds exactly like mine: a dc jack attached to two, spliced wires sobered by black electrical tape. Mine do appear to have crimp connectors under the tape, so it’s a functional connection, I just wished it would have been shrink wrapped.
bassplayrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
bassplayrr and tgilbride, what you guys need to do now is confirm that you have the upgraded Magnum MMS1012-L inverter/charger and the Magnum ME-RC-L remote designated for lithium batteries. Many of the new interstates with the lithium battery package came from the factory with the older, non-lithium Magnums. There's a thread below were we've been discussing this. If you don't have the newer versions, it's a trip back to your dealer to get them to change it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2431243
Old 04-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Bonaventures

2021 Interstate 24GT
Amherst , New York
Angry

Thanks. Looks like I have the older (non-lithium) versions of both. Back to the dealer I go ...
Old 04-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Frisco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
bassplayrr and tgilbride, what you guys need to do now is confirm that you have the upgraded Magnum MMS1012-L inverter/charger and the Magnum ME-RC-L remote designated for lithium batteries. Many of the new interstates with the lithium battery package came from the factory with the older, non-lithium Magnums. There's a thread below were we've been discussing this. If you don't have the newer versions, it's a trip back to your dealer to get them to change it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2431243
10-4. Thanks. It’s off getting PPF and ceramic coat now but I’ll be sure and check when I get it back next week.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Frisco , Texas
The RV is still at the detail shop, but checking the owners manuals, the remote is not labeled as -L. However, it's listed as revision 2.9. Searching on that a bit, it appears to have the desired functionality for lithium: the 2.9 revision includes LFP presets and compatibility.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayrr View Post
The RV is still at the detail shop, but checking the owners manuals, the remote is not labeled as -L. However, it's listed as revision 2.9. Searching on that a bit, it appears to have the desired functionality for lithium: the 2.9 revision includes LFP presets and compatibility.
Best way to confirm that both your Magnum Remote and Magnum Inverter charger are the correct Lithium versions is through your Magnum Remote control panel. When you get your RV back, select the "Tech" button on the right of the control panel, then rotate the knob to "2 Revisions", then rotate and capture the version numbers of both your Remote and Inverter/Charger. This process is listed in your Magnum ME-RC Remote manual, page 37.

If it shows v2.8 for your remote, and v1.6 for your MMS1012 inverter/charger, you have the non-lithium versions. if it shows v2.9 and anything after v1.6, then you're good.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:44 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Wapakoneta , OH
That is a dealer problem. If they installed the router, they should have known that it needed power. The power cable should be in the same location as the communication wires for the router. They just didn't look hard enough. It shows in the 12V Main Schematic a 14a that is supposed to power the router.

As for the tape wrapped around the connection, I wouldn't say that is a manufacturer problem. I think they were probably just trying to better protect the wire if it wasn't being used.
wiseguy2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:41 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Frisco , Texas
Can confirm: the correct, Lithium capable units are installed. Ours came off line the 1st week of April, as a point of reference for others awaiting delivery and wondering what they’ll receive.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #14

AUSTIN , Texas
Where the hell is the access to the interior wiring harness for a 2021 27’ Flying Cloud. No where to be found. A week now searching everywhere for it to connect interior router to antenna on top. Please help. Dealer nor factory are any help. Drcalvo@me.com or 5125635915 if easier that way. Thanks

Dave
calvod28 is offline   Reply With Quote