Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Memphis , Tennessee
Water pump strainer cleaning

What is the secret to removing the strainer? I am afraid to break it. I have a 2016 AI Lounge. Thanks in advance.
Tnsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Houston , Texas
If you are talking about the windshield wiper pump, my experience is that you disconnect the electric connector by squeezing the pin and pull, once the connector is out, you can pull the pump straight up, water will come out, if the strainer is clogged, no water or little water will seep out . You can pull the rubber seal which is a strainer out and clean it, I would suggest you flush the reservoir with bleach to kill all algae, before put everything back, there are two pumps, you need clean both of them
Top69dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
If it's like ours, it helps to have the tank empty so that you don't have to manually hold tight over the exposed opening, lest a geyser erupt. But ours simply twists off. It's fairly robust - we've removed it many times. I'll post a pic if I can find one, so that you can compare to your model year and see if it's the same equipment.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
GROSSSSSSS!!!! OH MY GAAWWWDDD!!

Ahem. This is what our pump strainer looked like repeatedly, just after we had purchased our Interstate from a previous owner who had obviously let stale water sit in the fresh tank for too long. Believe it or not, there are folks on Air Forums who claim that they drink directly from their fresh tanks, no questions asked. I'd like for someone to look at this pic and tell me that they'll keep on doing that in the future without first checking its condition.

Anyway, my bad for failing to say welcome to Air Forums! And if the filter to which you refer looks like this, I would not expect you to have any issues with removing, cleaning, and re-seating it.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Memphis , Tennessee
thank you, all, for the responses.
Tnsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
GROSSSSSSS!!!! OH MY GAAWWWDDD!!

Ahem. This is what our pump strainer looked like repeatedly, just after we had purchased our Interstate from a previous owner who had obviously let stale water sit in the fresh tank for too long.
Where is is this strainer located on yours?
There is nothing in my 2006 between the tank and pump (I'm replacing wirh flex hose, so have it it my hand)
Perhaps outlet of pump?

Thask
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It's visible as soon as I drop down the lower cabinet door. To the left of the water tank in front of the pump. I'll post a pic next time I fetch the rig.

During my Houston RV Show Class B evaluation tour, I noticed that the manufacturers are still using this same filter device. Here's how it's configured in the Pleasure Way Plateau FL. Presumably the strainer is in the line coming from the fresh tank to the pump. I didn't pull stuff apart to see how the tanks were situated.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mine doesn't have that. After looking at the installation, I can see why.

Perhaps a good time to just replace the pump, add strainer and use some hose similar to the picture you show. What would be pretty easy (I'd use different clamps).
Plus I could clean up the whole mess and wires at the same time. Maybe add some boxed storage also. And a winterizing valve.
I'd like to get it right, it is a pain to work on, since the tank won't drain all the way, invariably I water gets all over. (ok- I use towels etc, but still a mess)

Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
What the...

As you can see below, our assembly looks different, even though our rigs are very close in age and lay-out. The yellow arrow points toward the filter/strainer.

I hear you on re-doing this whole area - it is definitely on our list, and if you do yours, please post pics. This has been on our list since Day One, two and a half years, but it's always been a lower priority as other mods and projects have moved up in urgency.

My eyeballs shoot daggers through that water pump every time it comes on - it is so ungodly loud, an awful noise. I can't wait to be rid of the miserable thing. Every time I read a glowing blog post about yet another Class B owner who swapped out their obsolete noisemaker of a water pump and were thrilled with the results, I say, "One day, that will be us."

There is a large dead space to the left of the water tank which is ideal for development, if only the lines and wires were instead placed into a neat package as they should be. The black-and-white soft-sided bin is where we place dirty laundry, and I have to be really careful not to hook any of the mechanicals as I'm adding to, or removing from. One day, this area will be neat and appropriately engineered.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
My strainer also simply unscrews. I completely agree with InterBlog and only drink bottled water while travelling. I do not drink water from my fresh tank or from city water hook up. I have cleaned my fresh water tank several times and have been disgusted each time. When I bought my trailer the scale in the tank was so severe that water couldn't pass through the nipple to the pump. While i have replaced all of the original copper lines with pex, i cant help but think about how fast the scale can develop in the tank, I bet the pex lines are just as bad. Yuck!
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The strainer is (or should be) located between your fresh water tank and the pump. An important role of the strainer is to keep bits of material from getting into the pump. Even a small grain of dirt/sand can cause your pump to fail to maintain pressure in your water system.

It is pretty common to see gook in fresh water pipes. If you've ever done plumbing work on an aging home -- or an RV -- you'll know what I mean.

Lynn
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Don't forget to clean aerator on galley faucet. I bought mine new, have always used an external filter on the hose, sanitize tank often with Clorox and when I removed aerator, I almost gagged. It was truly disgusting. Soaking in vinegar now! I now wonder if the winterizing fluid creates a film that slimes over time.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
The aerator on my 2006 was clogged.
I bought a new one online for not too much. Airstream didn’t have it, but the local dealer did point me to one for sale online.

I always filter and regularly sanitize, but I have no idea what the previous owner did. (The freshwater tank looks spotless)