Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
As long as you have no outside pets, Marshmallows soaked in anti freeze work well on many varmints.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My solution would be simple. A 12 pack, pellet gun and a nice evening in a comfortable chair. Unfortunately, squirrels don't learn. And once they start a behavior, they continue. Unless relocation is a long distance, they will return.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
At GTMO Bay, the local critter than can be counted on to destroy the wires and the hoses and pretty much any other soft parts under/in cars is the Cuban Hutia, aka Banana Rat. The solution is low-tech and very inexpensive and ~100% effective: plain *metal* chicken wire placed under the engine compartment and at the rubber brake hoses and any other places with easily chewed-to-destruction parts. Secure the chicken wire with cable ties. Of course, install so as to allow for unimpeded movement of suspension and steering and other moving parts. Even the military vehicles had chicken wire banana rat excluding barriers installed. Lasts for many years even in the salty coastal environment there. Easily removed and replaced whenever access is needed for maintenance, repairs. The chicken wire solution should work to exclude most any other type of chewing varmints.
rsjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Perhaps a bit off topic, but Joemikeb, part of your squirrel combat solution might be to escalate - i.e., plant more tomatoes. This is easily done if you compost your old tomato plants (and kitchen scraps, and most other yard waste minus grass clippings). Tomatoes need specific fermentation conditions for the seeds to germinate and low-volume composting will do the trick (low volume because the temperature won't get too high). Every year, volunteer tomatoes spring up all over our yard because of the home-made compost that I have spread. I weed out those plants that I don't want and keep the rest, producing tomatoes over a widespread area that simply overwhelm the critters (with me it's mockingbirds that are the challenge, not squirrels).

Who knows - with a sufficient number of tomato plants in place, perhaps the squirrels will ignore your Interstate entirely and you will have no more wire chewing. Plus you will have tomatoes like these. I took this pic yesterday afternoon with you in mind. My husband had scolded me for allowing most of our tomatoes to rot on the vine, but we have literally had five Interstate projects in progress simultaneously and no time to tend to the garden this year. So I promised him that I would whip up a batch of Cuban black beans, into which all of these ripe tomatoes went (and several pounds more). Simultaneously I made our new computer table for the Interstate; cooking beans requires the gas stove to be on for 10 hours straight which means I must remain in the house. It's a good time to tackle in situ Interstate projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_5047.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	265620  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I have tried commercial squirrel repellent granules and spray and even fox urine but these little pests are persistent. Any suggestions are appreciated — especially if it also helps keep them out of my tomatoes too.
I've has similar issues on a Toyota but with mice (apparently Toyota in being eco friendly makes some part casings from vegetable derivatives instead of plastic and so the engine compartment smells like a buffet to some critters). Besides what you have mentioned, wire meshing openings is one method, but the one that so far works for me is strategically placing (far from hot engine) peppermint extract soaked cotton balls under the hood. Don't know if squirrels hate the smell as much as mice but so far I have no more mice droppings. I heard about fox urine but didn't want to risk having that smell enter my cabin, whatever it smells like. Also peppermint extract is sold in the baking aisle while fox urine isn't. Also I don't even want to buy fox urine bcc it's forces me to think how a bottle of that is collected anyway. Good luck.
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I had rats feasting on the wiring of my wife's Lexus. I have now wrapped the wiring with "Honda Rat Tape", available on line or at the dealer. The
tape has capsaicin in it and has worked well so far. I plan to wrap the AI wieing as a precaution.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote