Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Attack of the Squirrels!

Our poor cat, Toro, has been suffer under the relentless attacks of 2 young squirrels. Kimber has videoed the episodes.

Warning! These videos contain graphic scenes of animals lashing out against other animals. No animals were hurt in the filming of these videos – but I think one cat’s pride has been damaged.

Watch at your own risk!!

Tim
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I looked, there must be a glitch somewhere. No pictures, no movies.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Brave squirrels!

Ha! Not too afraid, are they!
Cute, thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Neat videos, but a word of warning - don't let those squirrels become too familiar around your home, and for goodness sakes do not feed them! Remember, they are really just fancy rats with bushy tails and I'm sure you wouldn't be posting video clips of a couple of sewer rats running around on your deck! Squirrels really are as bad as rats if not worse. They are amazingly athletic, fiercely territorial, can chew through just about anything and are unbelievably difficult to kill. (big rat traps don't even slow them down) If they get into your attic or eves you are in for a battle royale. I could tell you horror stories about the damage caused by squirrels and the problems convincing them to move out and stay out. Calling them vermin would be too kind IMHO. Suffice to say any squirrels that make thier way anywhere near my house develop a sudden acute case of lead poisoning. Just my 2 cents. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
attack of the thieving magpies!

These birds were fearless scavengers. I counted 5 lined up behind Baron until he had enough and ran them off from his dish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thievingmagpie.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	27066   Click image for larger version

Name:	lookma.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	27067  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Too cute - the look on his face seems to say, "Are you just going to stand there and let them get away with this?"
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You need Real player. Which I am just not going to install.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Squirrel haven

I've had it with squirrels. They're everywhere. I am amazed at places they find to stash my nice ripe apples. I find apples hidden in flowerpots, deck railings, and doorways.

That was cute, until they left an apple perched in the wheel of my Airstream. I guess they figured it hasn't moved in three years, it'll still be there next spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Squirrel 004.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	27072  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Another Animal Wildlife Encounter

I took the following pictures at Yellowstone where my cat, Athena, had the most amazing encounter with a raven. My boyfriend and I had just returned to the truck, he from walking around a geyser and me from taking pictures of an old tree. Just as I slipped into the driver's seat a female raven landed on the hood. We sat quietly and the raven walked right up to the windshield. Athena jumped on Bill's lap and crept up to the window. She knows big birds because I have a psychotic Blue Front Amazon parrot that each cat has messed with just once. As she got up on the dash I grabbed my camera set it on al servo and held down the shutter. I got about 30 amazing pictures and the raven and the cat checked each other out, often nose to beak right thru the windshield. Then the raven hopped over on the side mirror. As she did her mate landed on the taneau cover of the truck. She enjoyed checking her self out in the mirror. Athena moved over to look thru the side window. Slowly, Bill rolled down the window. Raven and kitty checked each other out, each getting ever closer. They actually touched beak to nose (much more pleasant than her encounter with the parrot). The raven checked herself out in the mirror, shook her feathers and flew off. Another magical Airstream moment. (Too bad the trailer didn't show up in the mirror pic)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Athena & Raven.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	27078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raven & Mirror.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	27079  

Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
the best one didn't make it

Squirrely attachement uploads....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Athena & Raven1JPG.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	27080  
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Squirrel or Chipmonk Damage???

Yesterday I went on my roof (of my house) for the first time in quite a while and was suprised to see a large hole gnawed into the back side of my Chimney. I had to take a day off work today to fix it, because inclement weather is coming. I removed what was left of one side trim board and a couple of clap broads before thinking to take the "before" photo, but you can see the holes gnawed into the OSB. I'll spare you the "during" photo's, but as I removed the clapboards, several were rotted, and so was the OSB in places. Turned into a bigger project than I planned. I went the easy route and eliminated the clap boards for my final solution since it is not visible from the ground, and used prefinished (if you like the color) exterior paneling. Just need another nice day to put on a coat of paint or two (and Rustoleum on the Chimney Cap.).

My advice, beware the rodents. This damage was totally hidden from the ground, the only way to see it was from the roof. Good thing I ventured up there before winter!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Closeup.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	27088  
Attached Images

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tree rats that's what they are, shot as many as 6 in one day on my roof and in the yard.
Big fox squirrels always getting into the attic eating through the walls and making lots of problems. I used to poision them but couldn't stand killing the birds so got myself an air rifle and went hunting.
Once I reduced the population I only shoot the ones that get on the roof
only 2 so far this year. They leave me alone I will leave them alone.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The raven pictures are amazing. I love those birds and look for them every time we go to Death Valley. Nice you had your cat on the leash, just in cast the raven decides to make a quick snack of her.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My dog, a Field Springer, will sit a and stare at the squirrels, allow chipmunks to eat his food and not chase the deer which come into the campsite. However, the Canada Geese are another story, he runs with his head looking up to try and find them before they land and heaven help them if they do.