Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2021, 05:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loudon , Tennessee
Security camera(s)

I am thinking about the possibility of having security cameras to show activity outside my 2017 Airstream Interstate. Would hope to have something small that had solar charging or at least a long battery life that would send info to my phone.
Any suggestions ?
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post
I am thinking about the possibility of having security cameras to show activity outside my 2017 Airstream Interstate. Would hope to have something small that had solar charging or at least a long battery life that would send info to my phone.
Any suggestions ?
You mean while it's in storage? You would need Internet service in the trailer so you could access the camera from your phone. If there is no free or other available service close by you could get something like a Verizon Jet Pack for service and then any of an assortment of wireless cameras available at Best Buy or Amazon. You would be able to connect to the camera from your phone and usually those cameras have an internal MSD card for recording.

Power for both of those is your next consideration. If your AS doesn't have solar then you would need something portable (steal-able) to keep the AS batteries charged. Unless you want to constantly run the inverter you would also have to modify the power supplies for both the Jet Pack and camera to use 12 volt instead of 115 volt.

So the answer is yes it can be done but without onboard solar you take the risk of your portable solar panel getting stolen. You would also have to make modifications to the equipment. If you have just the one camera you get just one view out of the window. If you put the camera outside then it too becomes a target for a thief.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post
Any suggestions ?
Expounding on the reply above --

1. For what purpose(s)? Storage, on-the-road, or both?

2. Are you chiefly concerned with theft, or the safety of your person?

3. Do you want gross warnings only (e.g., "someone is near"), or detail sufficient to identify people? This makes a big difference because it's dictated by camera resolution.

4. With or without recording capability?

5. How much does price matter to you?

6. Do you have technical skills, or would you require a turnkey system?

All these questions are necessary for perspective because the market is woefully underdeveloped in this area. There are systems that can be kluged together to render some degree of information for specific concerns. But there is no easy answer, or cheap answer.

A few historical threads on this topic:

Vehicle Security - What have you done?

Comprehensive DVR and security camera system

Security while boondocking (Class B Forum)

Here is an example of a context-specific solution. We have used a Verizon hot spot coupled with a Canary camera to keep an eye on our dog while she was alone in our Interstate. The video feeds back to my phone, assuming I'm in an area with cell coverage.

This type of solution is entry-level, costing about $75 for the Canary and $50/month for the hotspot, plus this installation required running another branch of DC power for the Canary. Obviously this shows the vehicle interior only, and at poor resolution. Prices rise astronomically from this type of installation.

Here's a screengrab from that Canary (red arrow points at dog):

At the other end of the investment spectrum, here is a pic showing a comprehensive multi-camera DVR security system installed in a vehicle that sells for around a half-million dollars. I have not managed to engineer a comparable system to date (it would take a lot of money and time to design and implement):

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
This worked for me.

We park the trailer in our driveway. My son gave me a set of YI indoor security cameras for my birthday. They were maybe $100 for 4 of them. I put a camera in a window in a bedroom that looked out to the trailer. The camera sees through the glass just fine. The subscription for 5 of the cameras was less than $100 for a year. I run a router in the house year around. I love the system. I love being able to see that the trailer is still there and that no limbs have fallen on it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes - if you are able to base your video system in a structure that has electrical power and WiFi, it becomes infinitely easier to accomplish this goal.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Naperville , Illinois
Any way to utilize the build in Interstate outside cameras for monitoring outside conditions while at a camp site inside your van? Just to be able to see what's going on outside while having your blinds down, etc would be helpful in the case of staying at a rest stop, etc.
Ilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilguy View Post
Any way to utilize the build in Interstate outside cameras for monitoring outside conditions while at a camp site inside your van? Just to be able to see what's going on outside while having your blinds down, etc would be helpful in the case of staying at a rest stop, etc.
Are the Interstate cameras closed circuit or do they require Internet and a phone app? Most cameras do unless they are closed circuit, everything is contained within the camera system
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
There is a security company that offers cameras, and access through cell towers (no WiFi needed) with a $25/mo or so subscription. We have never tried the cameras ourselves. It’s all easy to look up at Simplisafe.com.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
There is a security company that offers cameras, and access through cell towers (no WiFi needed) with a $25/mo or so subscription. We have never tried the cameras ourselves. It’s all easy to look up at Simplisafe.com.
Sure, there are several similar vendors - but how can a stick-and-brick system be adapted to a trailer or motorhome? That one primarily uses conventional glass break and entry sensors, not video monitoring as the OP was asking about.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We added 2 Blink cameras to our trailer shelter (so they're up high and can't be easily reached) after someone appropriated one of our aluminum propane tanks last fall. The Blinks are on batteries, which have lasted so far since October through a very cold spell in February here (minus 25 degrees for a 2 week period.) Resolution is good, we can see from our phones what is happening and talk through them to someone there by the trailer. They can be wired in.

Kay

Minus side: they can be overly sensitive. If we get a very windy day, such as 30mph winds, cameras can be set off.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wichita , KS
Interested in this as well. We just ordered an Inseego Skyus 160 wi-fi router to connect all of our devices to when out in the world. Are going to also order a camera that we would point outside when away from the trailer, or inside if we want to monitor our dog. The camera will send alerts to our phone. The features of the camera are not our concern - the connection is the question.

Mainly - we have solar panels installed; how can we utilize our existing panels when away (say, in storage between trips) to keep the camera and/or router charged. Do we need to keep power on, knowing the solar will keep it charged? Could we/should we wire them directly into the solar power? How is this done?

Using everything when camping is easy - plug them in. It's when in storage that causes the question.

Sorry for the vagueness - we are fairly new and this is somewhat baffling to us.
Sjugar is offline   Reply With Quote