Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #601
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
By the way, I trimmed my shelf with Corner-Mount Adhesive-Back black Trim from McMaster-Carr.. Click on adhesive-back and go to the bottom of that page.

The trim I used is #2 at the very bottom of the page. I had previously ordered the same trim in a 10' length for some mods to my former trailer and really liked it. This time, I ordered 25' which did 3 lengths across the shelf, the window covering over the galley, and there is still close to a 2' piece available for some future mod. The stuff sure isn't cheap, but it bonds like glue and will take a lot of abuse and still look good.
I was thinking of using the same laminate for the side trims... but I have never worked with laminates... I have a router and the table... and the bits... but no experience. Would be fun giving this a try.

Thank you for the additional information in the install in the previous post. That really helped a lot to understand how you actually got it installed.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #602

Orlando , Florida
Since we can't go back and edit our post , consolidating all the post on the ACR install... and correcting a mistake on a post I made where I said that the Isolation Brown was not connected when it was actually the Orange (Isolation #3) that was the one left unused.

I wanted to have the switch in the front... I reuse the cable that goes to the exiting switch. Red (Terminal 2) wire from ACR connected to Gray/Black wire that goes to switch. And then I had to run 2 additional wires from the back to the front, to complete the install of the switch as per the install diagram (Terminal 7 for the yellow wire, and Terminal 8 from House battery).

Let me try to consolidate the updates from my thread in one post...

Response from Blue Sea (which is what Pahaska and FlyFishinRVr said )

Quote:
Ah, OK.

Yes, it is possible for the ML-ACR to do that. You would use 2 of the SI lines. If two of the SI lines see battery voltage, it will hold the unit off and in stand-by for as long as both lines are energized, so it won’t combine the batteries.

The best way would be to wire one SI line to the Engine Ignition system, so it see 12V when the engine is running. Run a second SI line to the generator, so it sees 12V when the generator is running. What will happen is this: Assuming both batteries are fully charged at 12.9V and the ACR is closed (batteries paralleled) both engine and generator are off.

1. You turn on one of the engine

2. The ACR will sense the starting and turn off, isolating the batteries for starting. While the engine is running, ONE (1) SI line is energized. This will hold the ACR in stand-by for 3-5 minutes.

3. After 3-5 minutes the ACR will check the remote position and return to normal function, so in automatic mode, it would then combine both batteries to be charged from the alternator.

4. If you then started the Generator

5. The ACR will sense the start and turn off, isolating the batteries for starting. At this point TWO (2) Si lines are energized. This will hold the ACR in stand-by, until one of the sources turns off.

6. Say you turn off the engine, and leave the generator running.

7. Now ONE (1) SI line is energized, the unit will wait 3-5 minutes then resume normal operations. In automatic mode, the batteries will be combine to both be charged from the generator.

Best regards, Avery Stiles

My Blue Sea ACR was installed in the following way (remember to install the 2amp inline fuses!! ):

Terminal 1 - I ran a cable from chassis battery negative/ground post to here...
Terminal 2 - I reuse the cable that goes to the exiting switch. Red wire from ACR connected to Gray/Black wire that goes to switch.
Terminal 7 - Yellow one that goes to the switch in the front... ran additional wire for this.
Terminal 8 - Ran an additional wire from switch to house battery. Also with a 2amp inline fuse. I connected this to the terminal A in the ACR since the house battery connects there as well.
Jump Terminal 8 and Terminal 3
Used the Isolation #2 (Green) for the Gen-Stat wire - remember to place a 2 amp inline fuse.
Isolation #3 (Orange wire) - left without any connection.

I might be repeating my self. But for clarity. Here is matching to old Battery Isolator:

Dash Switch - Goes to Terminal 2 on ACR switch - I reuse the cable that goes to the exiting switch. Red wire from ACR connected to Gray/Black wire that goes to switch.
Ground - to ground block in that area
Gen-Set- Connect to the Isolation #2 (Green wire) - remember to place a 2 amp inline fuse.
Coach Bat - Terminal A on ACR
Chassis Bat - Terminal B on ACR
Ignition - Connected to Isolation #1 (Brown wire)

So connection ends up being as if you had two engines (one is the Sprinter engine and one is the Generator):

I was going to order a new trim to get rid of the trim with the hole where the stock switch was... Rather than ordering a new lower dash trim , I took out the switch, remove the label it had and installed that on the inside (to not lose it)... installed switch back and trim back in place. And now it looks factory and there are not labels to confuse that with anything else... it is just there disconnected.

I hope it is clear now for those doing the Blue Sea ACR install... This is one of those "Must do" modifications.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #603

Orlando , Florida
These came in. Thank you for the recommendation. Worked like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	307646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	307647  

Name:	IMG_1803.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	307648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	307649  

WBCCI #26769
Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #604
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Curious how you and the family liked the teak shower mat. Got mine in and put it in the AI. Need to do some adjusting on the base as it rocks side to side. Also are you just taking out the drain plug when parked? I like that it covers it up from a aesthetic but it covers it up. My son was already too tall for the shower (6'1') so would have to sit anyway but does take up some valuable space.

Love the look of it though.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #605

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Curious how you and the family liked the teak shower mat. Got mine in and put it in the AI. Need to do some adjusting on the base as it rocks side to side. Also are you just taking out the drain plug when parked? I like that it covers it up from a aesthetic but it covers it up. My son was already too tall for the shower (6'1') so would have to sit anyway but does take up some valuable space.

Love the look of it though.
Yes. I just put away the plug when we get to our destination.

We love the feel and the looks of the mat... but we are all short... tallest of the four of us is my son and he is only 5'10"... I am 5'7"... so no issues hitting the ceiling.

For the rocking, I added some rubber strips they sent me. Others have just placed some rubber feet held in place with stainless steel screws to do the same... felt so stupid going through so much work building up these spacers when a rubber feet would have done the same in seconds

WBCCI #26769
Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #606
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
I ordered the pool cue stops from your post above. If there is enough room I might try to countersink them a bit and maybe sand the middle cross bar down a little.

I am 5'10 and the wife and daughter are 5'3. The son is the outlier at 6'1 but I did DNA tests...
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #607

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
I am 5'10 and the wife and daughter are 5'3. The son is the outlier at 6'1 but I did DNA tests...
hahahahahahahahahhaha
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #608
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
I hope it is clear now for those doing the Blue Sea ACR install... This is one of those "Must do" modifications.
It is clear now, UNTIL I am ready to do the upgrade 2 months from now. Which is why very thankful for the clear docs. I will need these later. Oh, and the diagrams help so much when the words start to get complicated 👍Thanks again.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #609

Orlando , Florida
Cool

On other news...got a hitch carrier and a toad ... well, not a toad, but this:

Silver so it matches the AI...now we can wonder around without having to move the AI from base camp. This is a 2016 Vespa 150, new with zero miles, that the dealer had...so saved a few $...

Got an inexpensive carrier from Harbor Freight. Worked like a charm. Good reviews on their site so for the price, it was a no brainer. Used it to tranport it from the dealer using the BMW X5.

Will post a photo of everything once all is installed and loaded in the AI.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEA8E0BC-B57D-4291-B0AA-4BE3C9BBE04E.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	308146  
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #610
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Nice! I have a buddy who hitch-carries a small tri-moped. Will have to post you a pic of that later.

So, will you tint the front windscreen and Xpel front end on this? Oh, never mind, forgot it will be behind AI
Old 04-08-2018, 03:24 AM   #611
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
On other news...got a hitch carrier and a toad ... well, not a toad, but this:

Silver so it matches the AI...now we can wonder around without having to move the AI from base camp. This is a 2016 Vespa 150, new with zero miles, that the dealer had...so saved a few $...

Got an inexpensive carrier from Harbor Freight. Worked like a charm. Good reviews on their site so for the price, it was a no brainer. Used it to tranport it from the dealer using the BMW X5.

Will post a photo of everything once all is installed and loaded in the AI.

I thought you had your buying privileges and credit card revoked some time back 😂
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #612

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Nice! I have a buddy who hitch-carries a small tri-moped. Will have to post you a pic of that later.

So, will you tint the front windscreen and Xpel front end on this? Oh, never mind, forgot it will be behind AI
Hahahahahaha I might still get some side rails to protect the sides in case of a drop... so used to regular motorcycles that I kept looking for the right side foot brake and the left side clutch lever, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
I thought you had your buying privileges and credit card revoked some time back 😂
And that still correct... This was all Mara... I would have like to use the money on the self-leveling system... but it goes to show you who has the control at home Happy wife, happy life...

We have a trip, just the two of us, to celebrate our anniversary. She wanted something to go out to a restaurant (I know, would have been far cheaper to call a cab or Uber)... fact is, she wanted a scooter...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4052.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	308165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	308166  

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	308167  
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #613
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
You two will look great pulling up to the valet parking at a fancy restaurant on that scooter !!
Happy Anniversary
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #614

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
You two will look great pulling up to the valet parking at a fancy restaurant on that scooter !!
Happy Anniversary
Thank you.

I just look at the photo and can’t help to think about this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3BD670EC-BE61-47DA-8051-EB593AD91B8C.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	308199  
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #615
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I just look at the photo and can’t help to think about this...
As Larry the Cable Guy would say -

Name:	9253c5b2e9520394d06ef32b9764c42b71939dc83beca8333814a4bbed6265ab.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	308242
And Happy Anniversary!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #616
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I put lights on my motorcycle carrier, since the bike blocks much of the brake and turn signals.
Just power them off the trailer outlet.

We are bringing a vintage Honda 100 on our trip- it is very gutless, but should be fun for putting around.
(Some of my bikes have had right side shifters and left foot brakes- actually my preference).

I’ll have to take a picture of the little bike on the back of the Interstate.
Although it is heavier than the bikes I usually ride! (It is about 190lbs, my others are 142, 158 and 163lbs.)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #617
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
WACHUKO - I was at my buddy's place to check out his new bicycle rack and took pics of his tri-scooter hitch rack. Long ago, he originally only had it mounted on the main receiver.

Name:	20180412_174503.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	308579

But he welded a receiver to the left and right of main. Makes for a very stable rack. He will do something similar to my AI, not for extra carrying capacity but just to have my step or bike rack or cargo carrier rattle free. He already figured out a way to do so and still allow hitch cover to snap-on when not in use. You think your scooter can benefit from the extra setup?

Name:	20180412_174439.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1,004.3 KB
ID:	308580

Name:	20180412_174408.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	763.7 KB
ID:	308581
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #618
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
WACHUKO - I was at my buddy's place to check out his new bicycle rack and took pics of his tri-scooter hitch rack. Long ago, he originally only had it mounted on the main receiver.

Attachment 308579

But he welded a receiver to the left and right of main. Makes for a very stable rack. He will do something similar to my AI, not for extra carrying capacity but just to have my step or bike rack or cargo carrier rattle free. He already figured out a way to do so and still allow hitch cover to snap-on when not in use. You think your scooter can benefit from the extra setup?

Attachment 308580

Attachment 308581
I like the double receiver design.

I designed a similar multi receiver device for our van at one point. The design requirements given to me from Interblog dictated a contraption that would hold a yeti cooler in front of the left door so as not to block access to the right rear door and it had to swing to the right, away from traffic, when access to both doors was required. That dictated the hinge be on the far right corner of the van with a 6’ extension arm to get the cooler all the way over to the left corner of the van. When extended, that put a 9ft moment arm on the receiver. A fully loaded cooler was heavy enough but I had to assume that some idiot would try to sit or swing on that arm or it would become just another way to break down on a trip.

I didn’t like seeing a static torque of over 2200 ft-lb on the receiver so I purchased 2 additional receivers to weld on either side of the receiver mounting brackets. I also purchased the mother of all hinges which weighed in at just over about 30 lbs for the hinge alone. All in this contraption (before adding the cooler) was going to weigh in at well over 200 lbs. This put us very near our gross vehicle weight and resulted in a descope of the swinging mechanism requirement and the requirement that we must be able to open both doors without unhooking the Yeti cooler. The new design requirements cut about 160 pounds off the project and resulted in a wonderful single receiver mounted hitch platform/basket/step/thingie.

If anyone wants a couple spare receiver tubes or a monster hinge send me a pm.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #619
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post

If anyone wants a couple spare receiver tubes or a monster hinge send me a pm.
Not necessarily. I said we might use a receiver on the front.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #620
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
I like the double receiver design.

The new design requirements cut about 160 pounds off the project and resulted in a wonderful single receiver mounted hitch platform/basket/step/thingie.
Sorry you had to pare down the design. But 160 lbs. is huge savings. That's more than I weigh. Definitely worth the compromise, given our limited GVWR. That's one reason I have minimized my rear tv articulating mount to a simple fixed mount and my hitch-step to a bare minimum single-bike mount. Every pound adds up.

Do you have a pic of when you had the double receiver mounted on AI or was that only in design stages?