Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2011 Interstate Coach
ISTANBUL , USKUDAR
No electric on aircondition, tv and coffee machine when connected to 110 V shorline?

Hi,
I am using an Interstate 3500.
When I connect the electric system to 110 V Shorline, I have no power coming to ceiling aircondition , tv and coffee machine , even inner lights. Only the electric outlets are working.
But all these devices are working ok with the built in generator , but nothing except electric outlets are powering with shorline.
What may be the problem please?
arifarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have you checked your fuses, and is your invertor on?

Maggie
Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2011 Interstate Coach
ISTANBUL , USKUDAR
Dear Maggie,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I've checked the fuses, they're ok and the inverter is on.
But still have no power.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arifarda View Post
Hi,
I am using an Interstate 3500.
When I connect the electric system to 110 V Shorline, I have no power coming to ceiling aircondition , tv and coffee machine , even inner lights. Only the electric outlets are working.
But all these devices are working ok with the built in generator , but nothing except electric outlets are powering with shorline.
What may be the problem please?
arifarda,

You have a device called a transfer switch that selects power from either the shore line or generator. It is a silver box usually located at the rear of the coach against the wall, inside the rear door on the driver's side. Probably behind the black fabric.

I would think that it is defective as it is only allowing the generator to pass thru power.

If you have knowledge of electrical circuits, PM me and I'll walk you thru testing this device.

Good Luck!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Are you sure that you have power? What is your power source?

Did you plug into a receptacle at home? Or a camp ground?

Is it a GFI?
If so it might have tripped or the fuse in your home panel might have tripped when you plugged it in..

Your power cord might be bad..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2011 Interstate Coach
ISTANBUL , USKUDAR
I am using the motorhome in a country where using 220 V shorline.
So I bought an 220 V to 110 V adaptor, regulator and using the shorline with this adaptor.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
So I bought an 220 V to 110 V adaptor, regulator and using the shorline with this adaptor.
If you're in a different country, that brings up another possibility. Your appliances require electricity at 60Hz, so if the country you're in provides electricity at some other frequency such as 50Hz, those appliances will not work properly, or possibly not at all.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I think that's your problem...

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/overseas/
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
I think that's your problem...

Will My Electronics Work Overseas?
Even if that doesn't help the op, I appreciate the info, very interesting.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Does this adapter reduce the 220 To 110? I'd start at the 220 VAC pedestal and start checking voltage at each step along the way.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
Lew...regarding my 2015 AS Interstate GranTour...I received a factory recall notice about a bonding wire that must be relocated or else it
Could create a fire hazard.
We live 40 miles north of you and at this moment are on a Christmas trip to North Carolina. The local dealer in Florida performed the recall and we were going to leave the next day but
The auxiliary battery wasn't charging properly and we were getting strange battery readings.
I advised the dealership and they said to keep charging the battery and proceed with our trip.
By the time we arrived NC we had lost ALL of our 12 volt system unless we had main engine running. Could not operate heater at night and outside temp dropped to 35 degrees and we froze in Asheville.
Only after begging big time was I able
To get the NC dealer to examine the problem. They spent over SEVEN hours and exclaimed it was putting out 24 volts rather than 12 volts! We ended up with a hotel and rentacar.
It seems to be fixed but I was NOT given an invoice description for the work and I am wondering if damage can occur to the batteries and other systems due to running 1000 miles on
24 volts rather than 12.
You are the guru. What thinkest you?
Jeff
jeffbec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbec51 View Post
Lew...regarding my 2015 AS Interstate GranTour...I received a factory recall notice about a bonding wire that must be relocated or else it
Could create a fire hazard.
We live 40 miles north of you and at this moment are on a Christmas trip to North Carolina. The local dealer in Florida performed the recall and we were going to leave the next day but
The auxiliary battery wasn't charging properly and we were getting strange battery readings.
I advised the dealership and they said to keep charging the battery and proceed with our trip.
By the time we arrived NC we had lost ALL of our 12 volt system unless we had main engine running. Could not operate heater at night and outside temp dropped to 35 degrees and we froze in Asheville.
Only after begging big time was I able
To get the NC dealer to examine the problem. They spent over SEVEN hours and exclaimed it was putting out 24 volts rather than 12 volts! We ended up with a hotel and rentacar.
It seems to be fixed but I was NOT given an invoice description for the work and I am wondering if damage can occur to the batteries and other systems due to running 1000 miles on
24 volts rather than 12.
You are the guru. What thinkest you?
Jeff
WOW!!!! Incompetence at it's best!!!

The only way you would be getting 24VDC into your coach is if someone rewired your house batteries in series rather than parallel. You should have 2 -12VDC Lifeline Group 24's. One wire at the batteries would do it, unless you have the aux. battery under the hood and they series connected that to your start battery, but that would have taken out your engine's 12VDC systems.

If indeed they did this, I would suspect that most of your 12VDC appliances are toast, but can't be certain. Things like your inverter/charger, furnace motor, A/C control board and t/stat, fridge compressors, etc. Possibly the control on the BIM. Most of these are not dual voltage units and would fry with that much DC being sent into them.

PM me for more info.

THANKS!

How much stuff isn't working????
Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Lew

If they did in fact have 24 volts on the 12 volt system I would have assumed that any interior light would have blown the second they turned it on.

Like wise if there is no isolation between the coach and TV systems what would 24 volts have done to the TV computer and associated electrical systems?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Since the new Interstate coaches use LED lighting, they usually have an operational range of 9-30 VDC, do I didn't include them in the potential carnage. They also use 120 VAC TVs so they wouldn't get blown out either.

But in reality, ya just never know!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 12-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Lew,
Could the BIM have been potentially damaged to the point that 24v could have had an impact on the chassis electrical system i.e.; DDE, alternator, battery and other control units?
Road Jager
P.S. Most tasty oranges I must say.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Lew,
Could the BIM have been potentially damaged to the point that 24v could have had an impact on the chassis electrical system i.e.; DDE, alternator, battery and other control units?
Road Jager
P.S. Most tasty oranges I must say.
If the house batteries were indeed wired in series for 24VDC, I'm not sure what the impact on the BIM would have been. It's operational scheme is to combine the 2 battery systems when one is below 12.6VDC (If I recall) AND there is a charging source present.

In this scenario, IF the chassis battery was low (below 12.6VDC) AND the BIM saw the voltage of 24VDC (it probably would have been more like 25.6+), then it's entirely possible that the solenoid would have closed and combined the 2 battery banks and everything you listed above would have fried! I would hope that the sensing circuitry of the BIM would have been blown out by the high voltage input from the improperly wired house bank and NOT combined the 2 banks.

This is a great question for Precision Circuits Inc. to answer, or to have someone capable start poking around with a meter in the OP's rig to do some forensic investigation.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The PCI BIM also has logic to turn off the relay if either battery goes above 15.5V for 30 seconds.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Good to know. That would potentially save the entire chassis 12VDC electrical system.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 12-25-2015, 03:58 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext