Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Tampa , Florida
More newbie questions - 2021 GT

On our first trip in the new Interstate.
Much learning to do.

Questions:
1). While driving we get a random single bi-tone beep at random intervals of 2-4 minutes. Seems to be coming from the dash/Mercedes system. No dashboard warnings of any kind. We have tinkered with the awning (while stopped), step (while stopped), hand brake and various Mercedes screens without luck. Seems to continue after we park while we are in the coach. Eventually it stops (apparently on its own). Any ideas?

2). What is the best way to estimate the state of charge of the battle-born LFP batteries? Normally voltage would be reliable (but insensitive to SOC in LFP batteries). I get 3 different voltages from the inverter/charger, solar MPPT charger and Fusion system (though all within 0.2V, that’s a potentially huge range of SOC).

3). I understand the LFP batteries are charged by the sprinter alternator while driving. Is there any way this charging can be monitored ? Even simple voltage and current measurement would be helpful.

Thanks much!

Peter
Yak-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
for #1, if it's coming from MB side, you should see some kind of warning sign / text on the dashboard. i would find the source of the sound / noise.

#2, there's no easy way to tell the SOC on the Interstate. Airstream didn't install any sort of battery monitoring system. you have to go by the voltage. generally, in my experience, the CZone panel shows 13v-13.6v is about 50-80%. anything below 13v, i would consider it low.

#3, the alternator charges the house batteries via a device "Victron Buck Boost", a DC/DC converter. it's under the driver seat. there's no external monitoring. just watch the voltage.
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Tampa , Florida
Thanks Mike.

Here are some more for the knowledgeable/experienced:

1). When not on city water, our water pump makes a (very) loud chattering sound whenever there is water demand (any tap flowing). Sounds like what I would consider a serious water hammer. Normal?

2). In dealer prep they “adjusted” the sliding door to deal with a step retraction issue (which remains intermittently and may be related to the “beeping” described in my original post). It’s still not properly aligned with the body side when closed (even when the step does retract). Is there a known procedure for adjustment ? AS dealer hasn’t returned calls ... and maybe a MB service center would have more experience here?

3). The igniter is not working on one of our stovetop burners. Anyone know how to troubleshoot it?

4). Apparently there is an Poynting antenna on the roof for WiFi (and LTE??). Anyone know the specific model so it can get more info ? The provided documentation explains in detail only how to install it, not what it is or how to use it.

5). Similar question for the Onan generator. What specific model is it?

6). Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for the house-side of this AS?

7). Our doc kit included info on a Zamp Solar Controller and a BatteryMinder charger. I can’t see any evidence these are installed. Where should I look for them? What do they do?

All of the above posted to the dealer also, who has gotten very quiet since they got our check ...

Peter
Yak-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
1 - it's normal, water pump activates as demand requires it, it's under the floor and it amplify the noise i guess.

2 - if the buzzer noise is what you hearing, look at the "travel warning", to the right of the steering column. if it lights up when you hear the noise, it is either the step, awning or the leveling jacks. (leveling jacks will auto retract as soon as you drop the hand brake)

For MB related issues, always go to MB.

3 - look for the dometic stove manual in the bag, it's probably a simple fix.

4 - this antenna is meant to be used with PepWave LTE router.
this is the one that will utilize dual wifi + dual celluar + GPS signal
https://5gstore.com/product/7865_pep...x_br1_mk2.html
Airstream charges $1k for this device, and is limited to AT&T service.
I bought my own, and added a data only line to my Verizon account.
simple setup. all the wires are in the rear center overhead cabinet, it's tucked to the driver side. plug and play.

5 - it's a Onan 2500 LP , there's a Onan owners manual in the bag

6 - https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/ , around page 110

7 - I think the Zamp is for solar to engine battery, BatteryMinder is shore / gen AC>DC for engine battery. both are under the driver seat. (both of mine are from BatteryMinder) 1 of the 4 solar panels, is for charging engine battery

if you really need some help, call the service dept and speak to a tech directly, they are usually friendly and helpful, or speak to the tech who gave you the delivery walk-through.
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Our push-button 'snapping' piezo ignitor seemed to not work a lot of the time. Finally noticed that it worked fairly well when I had used the stove recently. Concluded that when it was 'not working' there was probably not gas coming out of the burner, so there was nothing there for the piezo to ignite. I think you could replace the snapper ignitor with a battery powered one.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Washougal , Washington
Hello Yak-55,
Had the same problem with our sliding door on our 2021GT. MB did not resolve the problem so we brought it back to Airstream. The screen door had to be adjusted to allow the sliding door to close properly. It works well now and it is aligned perfectly when closed.
Hope that helps.
Blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak-55 View Post

7). Our doc kit included info on a Zamp Solar Controller and a BatteryMinder charger. I can’t see any evidence these are installed. Where should I look for them? What do they do?

Peter
Make sure you download the updated manual from the AS website which references the Victron controller instead of the Zamp.

Confirmed, the BatteryMinders are under the drivers seat.
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote