Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

It's a sad thought but, locks only deter the honest

There are numerous ways that almost any auto can be broken into in under 30 seconds without the telltale breaking of a window. A safe tells a crook where all the valuables are. And many of us bring tools for the crooks to borrow.

A good hiding spot that takes time for even you to get to, seems like another option. Crooks are in a hurry. But yeah, a safe would slow them down too, besides showing due diligence to insurance companies. I get it

Another thing that I am up against, is that most little girls could break my trailer door lock, trying to open the door when it is locked. ( don't ask how I know ). They won't get in, but I end up locked out, with a broken expensive lock. So I don't always lock it.
I try not to travel with hard to replace and expensive items.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

P.s.

I should get a deadbolt. I should do a search on a deadbolt that will fit an Airstream. ( although the search engine doesn't like me )
Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Sad but true, an alarm system is only a theft deterrent to the casual thief. To a determined thief, it's just a theft detector.

For Interstate owners who want a bit more security, I recommend a high-end alarm system. If you have a smart phone, get one that has a smart phone interface instead of a key fob remote. The smart phone interface will tell you when the alarm has been triggered even if you're a thousand miles away, as long as the vehicle is parked where it is in range of a cell tower, and you're also in range of a cell tower.

The alarm system with smart phone interface basically turns the whole vehicle into a light-security safe. It won't prevent determined thieves from breaking in, but at least it will let you know there has been a break-in more-or-less in real time, so you can take immediate steps to minimize the adverse effects of the loss.

The only real protection against your Airstream being burglarized is to have insurance that includes contents protection in sufficient value to cover the loss of anything that's not attached to the vehicle, along with dated photographs of those items inside your vehicle to prove they were there. For example, if you normally store your laptop in a particular cabinet, open the cabinet door and take a picture of the laptop in the cabinet, then take photos of the laptop separately with attention paid to the data plate with the model and serial number. Store all of the photos on a flash drive hidden someplace safe (in an Interstate, taped under the dashboard is relatively good), with another copy of the flash drive at home. Then in the event of a burglary, take photographs again after the fact, so that you have before-and-after comparison.

That bit about the photographs is actually a lesson learned from the Hurricane Katrina evacuation, for homeowners and renters, but it's equally valid for RVs. People who had their belonging photographed like that had their insurance claims processed much more quickly, and usually got more money than those who didn't have similar documentation.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I beg to differ from some of the expressed opinions: everyone knows an RV is a home from home, and as such contains a myriad of valuable items such as money, credit cards, cameras, iPads, etc, etc. So if it's parked in a State Park with lots of site cover (bushes and trees) or at a trailhead where there's no one else in site - and here in the southwest we have thousands of remote trailheads - then you're seriously exposed to the opportunist who will break a window for a quick grab of what's inside.
So a good alarm system such as fitted by Protag, plus a quality and secularly fitted safe seems essential to me.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

I agree that an RV could be a target. But I don't think an alarm will do you much good in remote areas. Thus the point of this tread to consider a secure safe.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I agree that an RV could be a target. But I don't think an alarm will do you much good in remote areas. Thus the point of this tread to consider a secure safe.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
The two obvious challenges with remote areas are, of course:

(1) No cell phone coverage
(2) No law enforcement presence even if you do manage to get a cellular signal.

Been there, done that, many times. If you want a good test of your back country skills, try the Arizona desert. None of the above plus no trees to attach bits of survey tape to as waypoints. We ended up giving associative names to large saguaro cacti as memory aids (cairns don't always cut it because you can't see them from a distance).

It works both ways though, because remote areas often have:

(3) Fewer thieves, as fewer people will bother going in that far, unless they know there's something valuable there.

I had a camping buddy who left his Lexus LS for several days in deep east Texas. I think the only reason that thing didn't get stripped is that nobody could find it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

The only real protection against your Airstream being burglarized is to have insurance that includes contents protection in sufficient value to cover the loss of anything that's not attached to the vehicle, along with dated photographs of those items inside your vehicle to prove they were there.
I have photos but I also always take cell phone videos, and if I'm going on a trip I take them literally minutes before I leave my house, with the cell phone staying with me.

I also upped my Interstate insurance coverage over what was quoted to me as the contents default, which would not even cover camping gear let alone any valuables.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
When I was still working, highly confidential materials in my car were the rule, rather than the exception, as was true for thousands of fellow worker bees, their supervisors, etc.

Locked up and out of sight kept things secure, and there was never an issue presented by anyone as to anything more that needed to be done.
Maggie
In my case the liability profile is a bit different, because I'm the one who owns the company. The buck doesn't just stop here - it gets sued for here.

For those of you who intend to carry personal papers (re: the person who raised the issue of ID theft), I do recommend the encrypted external hard drives rather than paper copies where possible. I have a 300 GB older Apricorn drive with a six-digit push-button code, and a newer 750 GB Thinkpad with an eight-digit code. FWIW, the reviews say these things are basically impossible for all but the most sophisticated user to break into. I like them because they conform to the K.I.S.S principle - no software to learn or install, no mess - just a code you have to enter manually by pushing actual buttons to unlock the drive (in the past, I tried encrypting external HDs via software alone, but I had a software corruption and I lost the drive contents... fortunately it was just a back-up drive). I tend to put scans and vendor-supplied PDFs (e.g., IRA statements) of my personal and business stuff on these and then papers themselves remain in my bank box.

An example here... military-grade encryption, they say.

APRICORN Aegis Padlock 1TB USB 3.0 2.5" External Hard Drive with 256-bit AES Encryption A25-3PL256-1000 Black - Newegg.com
Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Oh my gosh…… I get it but…..it's kinda funny

When we start talking military grade software, and Bond….James Bond, are we missing the point. We are campers, sitting by the campfire, singing Cumbaya, eating hot dogs and smores, and drinking beer, with our cell phones turned off.
Just joking around, I know full timers needs are different from mine
Old 12-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Reno , Nevada
slick hidden solution for you rifle/shotgun(s)

Here is a dandy solution to carry a shotgun/rifle safely in my 2012 Lounge model:

BSR « Big Sky Racks
($69 on Amazon)

Model BSR-1 holds a shotgun nicely - bracket is securely mounted up behind the Lounge rear overhead cabinet (in that space that I have yet to see anyone use on their rig - see photo of that area - not my rig, though)
I have a cloth cover over the whole assembly, too, so it isn't obvious what is there with the rear doors open.
I can reach up from the inside of the vehicle (rear doors still closed) and remove the shotgun in case I need to confront a bad guy at the door.

I'm not sure the if 2-gun model would fit up there, but i might.

Also, if you want a super secure, 50-state legal method to carry your pistol and ammo, but still readily available to you in a jiffy (when the bad guy shows up), this Titan pistol vault can't be beat:
https://www.sonomadesignapparel.com/...onalSafety.asp

I'm looking for a more hidden place to mount this pistol box...any suggestions for a hidden spot, but not too buried?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dont_copy.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	626.0 KB
ID:	228213  
EddieTheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #30

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheWire View Post
Here is a dandy solution to carry a shotgun/rifle safely in my 2012 Lounge model:

BSR « Big Sky Racks
($69 on Amazon)
Even for people who don't carry a gun, the BSR rack looks like it would be good for carrying a proper axe for chopping that firewood down to size.
Quote:
I'm looking for a more hidden place to mount this pistol box...any suggestions for a hidden spot, but not too buried?
Behind the passenger-side second-row seat, vertically, against the front wall of the wet bath. Relocate the fire extinguisher to a vertical mount on the inboard side of the gun safe (the fire extinguisher bracket is designed for vertical mounting anyway, not for horizontal mounting as installed). Between the seat (pushed all the way back against it, pull seat forward to access the safe) and the fire extinguisher, it should be relatively well hidden from casual view. Paint it to match the interior wall panels (light camel or dark onyx) to further make it less obtrusive— nothing says "Important" like being the only black anodized item in the whole van.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
When we start talking military grade software, and Bond….James Bond, are we missing the point. We are campers, sitting by the campfire, singing Cumbaya, eating hot dogs and smores, and drinking beer, with our cell phones turned off.
The point is different for different people. There is an idealized, romanticized version of the experience that involves Cumbaya, yes, and that suits some people perfectly. But not everyone. I made a decision some years ago to start my own business. It was simultaneously the most liberating and the most restricting lifestyle choice I've ever made. If you decide to become the captain of the ship, then there is never a moment when you are NOT the captain of the ship, so my sextant generally has to stay with me whether I'm singing Cumbaya or not.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Well, we are talking about Interstates here. Last time I talked to Rick Foley, owner of Foley RV in Gulfport, he estimated that less than half of the Interstate buyers he deals with ever intend to use theirs for camping. An Interstate is a perfect "soccer mom" vehicle for hauling a passel of kids to a sporting event. It's a decent mobile office. The local Hard Rock Café was looking into buying one to serve as a limousine (I'd guess with the galley converted to a wet bar).

There's plenty of room in the wide wonderful world of Interstate ownership for people who need to have their Interstate kitted out by Q Branch.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
...Behind the passenger-side second-row seat, vertically, against the front wall of the wet bath. Relocate the fire extinguisher to a vertical mount on the inboard side of the gun safe (the fire extinguisher bracket is designed for vertical mounting anyway, not for horizontal mounting as installed). Between the seat (pushed all the way back against it, pull seat forward to access the safe) and the fire extinguisher, it should be relatively well hidden from casual view. Paint it to match the interior wall panels (light camel or dark onyx) to further make it less obtrusive— nothing says "Important" like being the only black anodized item in the whole van.
Pistol box is an interesting predicament because, almost certainly, if the time comes when quick access will be needed, that time will be in the middle of the night. So the choices would seem to be:

(1) Mount it within arm's length of the bed (difficult due to space restrictions)
(2) Mount it in an another location and remove it for immediate access each night (hassle; not an option if children are present).

Concealed carry was a P.I.T.A. in the back country; we found that the only minimally-aggravating way to do it was to augment a standard backpack with a fanny pack worn facing forward. But the good part is that every tent has a little mesh storage hammock at the very peak of the roof line, and that was the obvious place for the piece once one was bedded down for the night. But I've yet to work out a satisfactory management scheme for the Interstate.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Pistol box is an interesting predicament because, almost certainly, if the time comes when quick access will be needed, that time will be in the middle of the night.
Then attach it to the driver's side rear door, so that the top of it is just about flush with the made-up bed. On the non-extended models, there's a space between the bed and the door that's just large enough to eat a pillow during the night if I don't block it with the foam armrests. And the driver's side door can't be opened until after the passenger-side door is, so you're not going to obstruct a door latch.

When the sofa is made up as a sofa, the gun safe would still be accessible by reaching down behind the seat, and the safe itself would only be visible when the driver's side rear door is open. How you disguise it so that no one recognizes it as a gun safe when the door is open is up to you, but as before, painting it something less obtrusive than black anodized is a start.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheWire View Post

Also, if you want a super secure, 50-state legal method to carry your pistol and ammo, but still readily available to you in a jiffy (when the bad guy shows up), this Titan pistol vault can't be beat:
https://www.sonomadesignapparel.com/...onalSafety.asp

Oooooh, I like that box. Here is a less-pricey but potentially less-sophisticated version:

Amazon.com: Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe: Home Improvement

Related question: Many Interstate owners travel to Canada, where possession of handguns is not legal. From having watched a Canadian version of "Cops" on hotel room TV, I understand that the procedure is to declare them when crossing the border. Have them unloaded and zip-tied to indicate non-usable status. The border agent takes possession and then you pick it back up when re-entering the U.S.

Has anyone actually done that to the point where they can confirm that's all there is to it and when you show back up at the border, your weapon is still there waiting for you?

I don't know what the procedure is for rifles. Surely that issue has been well-solved, though, because so many people travel north for hunting.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Unless you have small and unsupervised children along, why is a gun safe necessary or even desirable?

Doug always kept his hand gun in a soft sided carry case in the top cabinet that was his. Right next to his high-powered flashlight.

Perfectly legal, out of sight, but easily accessible.

Maybe Brinks Armored Trucks will start doing B Van conversions....everything in one package.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #37
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
For a 50 state gun safe I installed two NanoVault NV 100 gun safes on the interior sidewall of our wardrobe. I couldn't buy them keyed alike so I picked up two keyed alike cabinet locks at a hardware store. I keep a 380LCP in one and the magazines in the other. Not elegant but they work and you can get them on Amazon for under 20 bucks apiece.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #38
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I dont want to start a gun thread here, but I think it is important to note that there is no such thing as a 50 state legal handgun. Be careful on the east coast, particularly if staying over night in MD, NJ, NY, CT, and likely others. Federal gun transport laws will not help you.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Unless you have small and unsupervised children along, why is a gun safe necessary or even desirable?

Doug always kept his hand gun in a soft sided carry case in the top cabinet that was his. Right next to his high-powered flashlight.

Perfectly legal, out of sight, but easily accessible.

Maybe Brinks Armored Trucks will start doing B Van conversions....everything in one package.

Maggie
We do end up at some destinations where children are present. We also have more than a dozen very young, very active children on our cul-de-sac. They know that they are NOT supposed to go into the motorhome as I am running back and forth to the driveway loading or unloading it, but children are children and self-control doesn't always happen as planned and more than once I've found a curious someone inside of it. It was just part of my original arms training that if there is ANY chance of a child being present, the guns are locked up.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #40

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I dont want to start a gun thread here, but I think it is important to note that there is no such thing as a 50 state legal handgun.
I don't think they're discussing a handgun that's legal in all 50 states, but rather a gun safe that meets the minimum requirements for firearms transport in all 50 states. In other words if you— because of training, licensure, and/or legitimate need as defined by the state— are duly authorized to carry a firearm in your vehicle, you can carry it in this safe because it stores the unloaded weapon separate from the ammunition, both locked up. But to truly be 50-state legal, the safe also has to be mounted in a trunk or other position where it cannot be accessed by any person inside the vehicle. And if you don't have a trunk or other inaccessible location, as in the case of an Airstream Interstate, then there are some states where even a gun safe of that kind will not be legal.

SCOTTinNJ raises a perfectly valid point. It's your responsibility as a gun owner to become familiar with the gun carry and transport laws for every state you intend to visit. In some of the more draconian states, only a registered firearms dealer can transport a privately-owned weapon. I know the owner of a shooting range in New Jersey (he used to be my neighbor in New Orleans) who stores guns on-premises for several of his regular clients so that they can avoid the legal hassles of schlepping their pistols back and forth.