Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Also note, GREEN handle is NOT a universal sign for DIESEL.

I came back from IRELAND, and I had a sedan for DIESEL, went to the pump, surely it was the GREEN handle, grabbed it, and it looked to my left with a BLACK handle that said DIESEL. Good thing I looked before I pumped.

So now, regardless of color, I will always look at the sign on the pump just to be absolutely sure.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Why were you running the motor while fueling? In most states, it is against the law. You got very lucky by not advancing the gas into the injectors, this could have cost you $800 plus! I would highly recommend running a couple of bottles of diesel injector cleaner through a our motor just to be on the safe side. Lucky you!
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Well I put diesel in my diesel and it blew up my motor.
I was completely empty, filled up the tank, drove down the on ramp, limp mode and smoke.
Station wasn't any help, company wasn't any help.
Ended up State Farm payed ~25K for the repairs (new engine, turbo, etc.) under comprehensive due to bad gas claim.
itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Kudos. I literally almost just did the same this weekend. Went to a BP. All handles are green. I had my credit card in, approved, and only when I needed to select “grade” did I realize none of them were diesel! The diesel pump was behind me. Also green handle. Just wasn’t thinking. Sounds like you cleaned things out well. Kudos!
I did exactly the same thing! The stars aligned, and the pump misread my credit card and saved me from pumping 80 gallons of gas into my diesel MH!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I don't like stations with the 3 + 1 fuel dispensers (gas and diesel combination pumps).

A stand alone pump keeps people from getting mixed up.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Fuel angel misfuel prevention device

FUEL ANGEL MISFUEL PREVENTION DEVICE

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-29-14-06-45-1.png
Views:	87
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	347964

https://m.yout-ube.com/watch?v=B4QQ5FJBbAQ
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Idling while fueling: Diesel trucks do it all the time. Nothing harder on a turbocharger ($2000+ device) then shutting engine off while it is hot. Worst scenario is a scenic overlook at the top of a mountain. I always let the engine idle a couple of minutes before shutting it off.

Running a small percent of gasoline: Agree it was OK years OK. Am not sure now with the tighter clearances of the fuel injection system (gasoline has less lubricity) and am not sure how the aftertreatment and sensors would like it.

Injector cleaner: I use it all the time at 1 oz per 10 gallon. Engine ran rough after it was sitting for several months. No problems since using the cleaner.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Nothing wrong with fueling a diesel while idling. Diesel is not as volatile as gasoline. In cold weather we used to leave them running some nights.

Putting gas in is bad. DEF is worse, very corrosive. Glad my diesel doesn’t use it.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
For all to know. I did a worse thing, I put Diesel Exhaust Fluid in the Fuel tank. Could have been a junked truck, 8000 in repairs or just a outlandish bill for $2000. Fortunately this accident was covered under my automobile insurance. Out of pocket costs were just my deductible. Thanks for SAFECO INS.

Happy Streaming

I also put DEF in my diesel tank. Insurance company would not touch it even though I have comprehensive. Tow, drain. Replace hp fuel pump, lp fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, 6 injectors, and two fuel filters. Labour, and four nights free camping in a dealers lot. And a new top for the fuel tank inlet. Jeep does not come with a top. $13,000. It costs a lot to be inattentive. Jim
Old 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Not to be snarky but I have never seen a blue diesel pump? And all DEF caps I have seen are blue?
And to be fair I have to confess I misread the pump handles and language in France...put 65 Euros (about $100 US at the time) of gas into a Renault TDI. Drove 5 miles major black smoke.....found a rest area on the Autoroute....called the tow truck (75 Euros).....14 year old son and wife excited they have never been in a tow truck before.....taken to the garage where they disconnected the fuel line and drained the tank (150 Euros giving us 4 hours of walking around a cute town in wine country. Filled the tank with diesel....85 Euros because a small town. They drove it like a bat out of hell up and down the town streets until the black smoke stopped handed me the keys and said Au Revoir!!! (Side note they kep the gas in tanks and I am sure resold it once the diesel settled out)
Yeah, the devil is in the details or you pay the price one way or another.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Always check for the right diesel handle and follow the hose back to make sure someone hasn't switched the handles.Only takes a second to be sure.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Manchester , New Hampshire
Been there, done that.

Some years ago my wife and I were sent to Stuttgart, Germany and we took our diesel Jetta with us. I hadn't been there long, maybe a coupe of days, and the time change lag had definitely NOT gotten better. So when I went to fill the Jetta I accidentally started putting unleaded in. I had about two gallons in it when I snapped to the mistake. My heart sank as I realized I now had to find a way to communicate with the mechanic at the station and explain the problem. Luckily he spoke amazing English and took my news like it happened all the time. He verified how much room I had in the tank and how big the tank was. Then he said "It is no problem. finish filling with diesel, and have a nice day." Until I ran that tank off and filled again with nothing but diesel I was jumping at every little noise the engine made. But he ended up being correct. The car never seemed worse for the wear and we ran her another 30,000 mile before selling it to get a Volvo.
I agree with those here who say that today's diesel engines may not be as forgiving, so better to err on the side of Drain, rinse, repeat.
To this day I still love diesels. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Jeep GC with the 3.0 diesel. And I have a 14 Jetta Wagon in diesel as well.

Airstream on my friends!

Jim
MacCoroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Not to be snarky but I have never seen a blue diesel pump? And all DEF caps I have seen are blue?. . .
The DEF cap on my 2013 Interstate on 2012 Sprinter is black. The common use of Blue for DEF tank caps is a fairly new standard.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
gasoline in diesel tank

With the blue DEF cap off ready for a fill, and the big Diesel hole available, it doesn’t take too much effort to stick the DEF nozzle in the wrong hole. Now, in addition to the new green cap I purchased for the Diesel nozzle, my forgiving wife supervises my every fill. Problem solved. Maybe.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	348252
Old 08-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Learn something new every day. But my statement is still accurate....all I have ever seen are blue DEF caps. I wonder if I would get in trouble going around asking "Hey, wanna show me your DEF cap?"
Old 08-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Not to be snarky but I have never seen a blue diesel pump? And all DEF caps I have seen are blue?
BWEYBRIGHT - Yes, Blue diesel pumps exist. And Black & Red & Yellow diesel pumps. You've been to France. Surely, you seen these (Blue & Yellow)?

Name:	jpg.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	348253

Name:	diesel-fuel-pump_100484920_m.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	348254

Name:	xinFFgB.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	348255

Name:	20190801_171408.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	348258

The best Diesel/Gas pump differentiator I have seen is in Shell Malaysia. I wonder why they put a quasi-lock mechanism on the pump. It does not really lock the pump, it is just a visual & tactile reminder that forces a different series of motions to jar one's tired brain after a long drive.

Name:	Fuel.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	348257
Old 08-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
BWEYBRIGHT - Yes, Blue diesel pumps exist. And Black & Red & Yellow diesel pumps. You've been to France. Surely, you seen these (Blue & Yellow)?
Attachment 348253
Attachment 348254
Attachment 348255
Attachment 348258

The best Diesel/Gas pump differentiator I have seen is in Shell Malaysia. I wonder why they put a quasi-lock mechanism on the pump. It does not really lock the pump, it is just a visual & tactile reminder that forces a different series of motions to jar one's tired brain after a long drive.
Attachment 348257
Yep, and as you clearly read post #30 where I fessed up to a brain dead moment. And quite honestly stuff happens....especially as I age. So I now do only one function at a time. Fill diesel, close tank, fill DEF, close tank. And since the commercial DEF fill nozzles won't fit my tank opening I am usually doing it in my driveway or at a campground where there is no diesel to try and put in my DEF or otherwise.
I do like the one you show from Malasia!!! Now here in Oregon where they pump for you it means you have to keep your wits about you AND make sure the gas jockey is pumping the right stuff.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Surprised at the DEF-diesel misfuelling issues being discussed on this Sprinter forum. My Sprinter has a 5.9 gallon DEF tank. If I let it go from full to empty (which I don't!) it would need refilled once every 13,000 miles - longer than the oil change interval. In typically top off the DEF just before a long trip, and only one time (8500 mile trip to/from Alaska) did I add DEF mid-trip. On mine the DEF fill is under the hood, not too far from the oil fill cap. Both the DEF and oil fill caps are black with white writing on them. So on my Sprinter it is far more likely for me to mix up oil and DEF than DEF and fuel. Do other model year Sprinters have DEF and fuel fill in closer proximity? Or are this DEF-fuel discussion on the Sprinter forum not relevant to Sprinters?

I can see DEF-fuel mistakes on Class 8 trucks - where a small DEF saddle tank is right next to the larger fuel saddle tank and where the DEF tank needs to be filled with some regularity.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
All Sprinters have the DEF tank fill in the engine bay. Those in this thread showing the DEF fill near the fuel fill are not Sprinters. The new Sprinters have blue DEF fill caps. The DEF-fuel discussions on the Sprinter Forum are from people who wrongly think DEF goes on the fuel tank, a common misconception.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #40
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Surprised at the DEF-diesel misfuelling issues being discussed on this Sprinter forum. My Sprinter has a 5.9 gallon DEF tank. If I let it go from full to empty (which I don't!) it would need refilled once every 13,000 miles - longer than the oil change interval. In typically top off the DEF just before a long trip, and only one time (8500 mile trip to/from Alaska) did I add DEF mid-trip. On mine the DEF fill is under the hood, not too far from the oil fill cap. Both the DEF and oil fill caps are black with white writing on them. So on my Sprinter it is far more likely for me to mix up oil and DEF than DEF and fuel. Do other model year Sprinters have DEF and fuel fill in closer proximity? Or are this DEF-fuel discussion on the Sprinter forum not relevant to Sprinters?

I can see DEF-fuel mistakes on Class 8 trucks - where a small DEF saddle tank is right next to the larger fuel saddle tank and where the DEF tank needs to be filled with some regularity.
TITUS - I am barely at 1,000 mpg of DEF while yours is over 2,000 mpg. Awhile back, I was reading RVTECHMAG.com about DEF usage and they said this:

"Numerous sources make statements as to what your DEF usage will be but the fact is that it will vary. One common statement is that DEF will equal 2% of your fuel usage but this is a generalization. A lighter RV with a smaller engine that is driven more leisurely may consume as low as 1.5% while as heavier coach with a large 15 liter diesel engine that is driven more spiritly may have a DEF consumption ratio as high as 4% of the fuel rate."

Since my avg diesel usage is 17 mpg, then my avg DEF usage of 1,000 mpg puts me at 1.7% which puts me dead smack between that 1.5-2% range. Based on this, I feel good my DEF usage is within norm. But I still very jealous of how stingy your van uses DEF. Your van must've received the best engine and best emissions components from the lot. I feel I run mine pretty hard because of our altitude, heat, and our open roads here in the SW have wicked cross winds. Also, with many roads having 75 mph limit, I find myself creeping above 80at times only the limiter is holding me back. The AI drives so eas at these speeds, it esy to creep up. I should probably use my cruise control to stay closer to 65 to better my diesel & DEF mpg. But cruise control makes me sleepy

BTW - On mine, the DEF fill cap is also in engine bay and is bright baby blue. If you look at this pic, it is very obvious which is the DEF fill cap (sarcasm here). But at least, if I get confused, I dont put DEF in engine & blow it up. Rather, I end up using DEF as a winshield washer and crystallize my driver field of view while driving and crash my rv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-02-14-18-52-1-1.png
Views:	51
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	348328