Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Auxilary Fuel (gasoline) Tank?

In the process of going through a 1973 Tradewind (25') for floor/frame rot. Located under the trailer, in the front is a fuel tank. The tank looks like a fuel tank from a pickup truck and is held in with straps. Based on the service manual this is where the optional spare tire bracket mounts. Centered on the front exterior exterior, right above the floor there is a SS opening labeled fuel - very similar to fuel fill port on a boat. As I'm in the process of removing the belly pan I've yet to find any lines exiting the tank.

To the best of my knowledge the trailer is all original and the tank appears to have been installed at the the factory as wiring harness passes through the hole in the floor for the fill tube - this tube connects port on front to tank beneath.

With fuel shortages of early 1970's was wondering if this was an option from factory.

Dennis
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Never heard of such a thing on an Airstream.

There were all kinds of auxiliary fuel systems sold in the early 1970s, including ones designed to be installed in place of the spare tire. In general they would be set up to pump fuel into the main tank when needed by turning on a switch. Federal law now makes such modifications unlawful in most cases.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGJackson View Post
In the process of going through a 1973 Tradewind (25') for floor/frame rot. Located under the trailer, in the front is a fuel tank. The tank looks like a fuel tank from a pickup truck and is held in with straps. Based on the service manual this is where the optional spare tire bracket mounts. Centered on the front exterior exterior, right above the floor there is a SS opening labeled fuel - very similar to fuel fill port on a boat. As I'm in the process of removing the belly pan I've yet to find any lines exiting the tank.

To the best of my knowledge the trailer is all original and the tank appears to have been installed at the the factory as wiring harness passes through the hole in the floor for the fill tube - this tube connects port on front to tank beneath.

With fuel shortages of early 1970's was wondering if this was an option from factory.

Dennis
In 73 Airstream had a 12 volt generator, as an option, but it ran on LPG.

The never installed what your describing.

From your description, I would say that you have an explosive situation, with a gas tank held in place with straps.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
The straps are metal straps and are very similar to straps used to secure the gas tank of F-150 trucks. I pulled the tank on and off my 1977 enough trying to patch leaks/ combat rust. Every 6-8 months in the mid-80's i'd get a "new" one from junk yard and swap. I'll try and get some pictures and post tomorrow of the tank in the trailer.

Dennis
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote