Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Diesel or Gasoline?

Considering the best option for the AS plus backup for the house, in the range 6 to 8 KW.

For easy reference, I number some basic items to consider.

1. Heavier unit is harder to steal.
2. Diesel is safer to transport, non-explosive.
3. Trucks offer toolboxes with Diesel tank incorporated, easier to refill genset.
4. Could not find gas tanks built into toolboxes.
5. The fuel transfer kits from toolbox to genset that I found are for diesel only.
6. Diesel allows for more electric generation per gallon (?).
7. Diesel engines (cummings, kubota, yanmar, perkins, etc.) are simpler mechanically and more reliable (?).
8. IF the TV is also Diesel, the additional fuel on the auxiliary tank could serve to refill both, the TV and the genset.
9. A draw back is that unless the diesel tank is full, condensation on the sides of the tank will create water that drops to the bottom of the tank. That water, if injected into the genset, can damage it. A RACOR or other water separation filter (as in boats) needs to be placed between tank and genset.
10. Hondas and Yamahas gasoline powered gensets are proven, reliable, silent, available most anywhere and so serviced.
11. Carrying jerry tanks (red plastic/metal) around is a pain, they bounce around, often leak and smell.

Any ideas?
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Line 9 applies to both gas and diesel so ignore that. Also most gas contains ethanol which causes big issues in small engines and doesn't store well.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've yet to find a less than highly expensive and very heavy diesel generator comparable, overall, to the 3000W gasoline sets.

I might want enough juice to steadily run a pair of AC units as I can't much see getting less. So, call it 5-7k capable.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Farm/Boat Diesel Fuel - Cheaper?

In some places you can purchase fuel for non-road use that is dyed red and use that in your truck bed auxiliary fuel tank. It is sometimes cheaper as it does not have road tax. However, don't use it in your truck as if your are found with the dye in your truck fuel you will receive a hefty fine.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Another option may be a propane generator. You already carry propane on your trailer and propane is easy to store at home. You can store it for several years without it going bad. Champion makes "dual fuel" inverter generators in the 2800-3500 watt range that can be paired together to get double the output. That would give you something in the range of 6-7kw. A side benefit is if you never run gas through them (only use propane), you shouldn't have to worry about the carburetor getting gummed up. I have found a standard 20lb propane tank fits perfect in the old milk crates and then transports great in the bed of my truck. This would even work for an SUV without having to deal with gas fumes.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Diesel or Gasoline?"

Go with propane and erase most of your negatives.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Propane? How does it compare with gasoline or diesel in terms of power generation or ability to fuel hours running the genset? I tried to search online but got no info I could understand. Thanks.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Propane is a great fuel but it does put out less btu and well use more fuel than a diesel generator. If it's only used a couple times a year great if not then a diesel might be a better choice.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
I tried to search online but got no info I could understand. Thanks.
Lots of info in the Generator - Solar subform. Click on Search and then Advanced Search and type in the keyword Propane. Limit the reach to the Generator subforum. I don't own a generator but when I buy, it'll be converted to propane and will be run off of the low pressure port.

You'll find these threads useful.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...se-153363.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-120706.html
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote