Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Adventure Gypsy

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Phoenix , Arizona
Electric Auto-Drain dump valves

Has anyone out there had problems with either their black or gray electric (Auto-Drain) valves? My black tank electric valve opener gets stuck open and does not fully shut afterward. This in turn will not allow me to open and drain the gray water side because you cannot open both drains at the same time. I replaced the Auto-Drain and it closed, but when I went to open again to flush tank, it opened and would not fully shut again. The indicator light remains on showing it is still not closed. When I removed the original control, I checked the blade valve for any binding. It was very smooth both opening and shutting. I do not believe there is anything preventing the blade to fully close, such as toilet paper. I am starting to believe it is the switch and not the valve that maybe the issue. Any other ideas?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
Same thing happened to our Interstate. I disconnected the motor from the valve shaft, then manually opened and closed the valve. It felt like something was jammed in the valve when I tried to push it in. Pulled it open and pushed it closed with some force and it popped free and opened and closed easily. Put it back together and it has worked fine since. It is easy to access and remove the nut that connects the motor to the shaft.
Aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
A couple of years ago, my black tank valve light (on the switch) wouldn't come on although I could empty the tank successfully. I suspected there may have been debris on the valve preventing it from fully opening. So I repeatedly flushed it through with the black tank flush, opening and closing the valve each time. Eventually the problem went away. Why not try that. The blade may be clean but not the seal.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
Adventure Gypsy

Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks

It is at the dealer right now, to check on whether it is valve, switch or electric mechanism itself, but if they can't find the issue I will try manually opening and closing valve numerous times as well as flush the tank several times to see if the valve starts to work properly again.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I forgot, so I should add to my previous post that I did refer this to the dealer who told me the bulb in the switch had blown and blown bulbs are not eligible for a warranty repair. But I subsequently noticed the light did very occasionally come on. That's why I persisted with the cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Adventure Gypsy

Phoenix , Arizona
UKDUDE, the bulb is good in my case. My problem is the opposite. The bulb comes on when I open and will not go out since valve does not close fully. I am with you that it is most likely something stuck in the valve itself. I am going to start emptying the toilet chemicals out of the drop-in little bags until I am done with the ones I have now. Then I will go to something else that does not use the plastic bags. I also saw online a comparison of various toilet papers. Oddly enough the test showed Charmin Ultra Soft to be even better at dissolving than the Thetford Aqua Soft, which I am using presently.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Well, our trailer is not an Interstate, but, after a number of years of black-water tank valve and drainage problems, we found the plastic disk which had been cut out of the tank at the time the drain pipe was installed. The disk's shape helped it move around quite freely without ever fully blocking the drain and valve.

We later heard about similar problems with other trailer brands.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Adventure Gypsy

Phoenix , Arizona
Larest

Just got a call from dealer saying it is not the Auto-Drain valve, but rather the switch. Here's the kicker, they want $475 to install a new switch. I inquired as to why Airstream warranty did not cover it and they said because the system was not an Airstream product, which is covered under it's own manufacturers 1 year warrant. Which in my case has long gone. I asked whether the entire panel that includes the black, gray, macerator and retractable switches had to be replaced for this as it came as one unit and could not have just the single switch replaced. Still waiting to hear back on this. It's time for an extended warranty. I thought I had a 3 year Airstream warranty and was waiting till next year to take one out. Any suggestions on this front? Thanks
Old 06-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupchu9702 View Post
It's time for an extended warranty. I thought I had a 3 year Airstream warranty and was waiting till next year to take one out. Any suggestions on this front?
Extended warranties are a crapshoot. Chances are, the extended warranty wouldn't cover items like this either, unless it's specifically an all-inclusive bumper-to-bumper warranty. Since the original Airstream warranty didn't cover installed components manufactured by third parties, there's a good chance that any extended warranty also wouldn't.

And even if third-party items are covered, the extended warranty isn't free. Carefully evaluate the cost of the warranty versus the estimated cost of repairs to see if it's worth it. For a significant percentage of owners, it's not worth it, because warranty companies are in business to make money just like anybody else, and the way that happens is for collections exceed disbursements.

I decided in my own case that the extended warranty wasn't worth the money, and subsequently I was proven right. The money I would have spent on an extended warranty would have been more than the cost of repairs I ended up paying for.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I checked around for extended warranty prices shortly after buying mine and they were insanely high. $3K-$4K. So far after five years, I've spent about $25 to replace the Maxx fan gear box and lifter arm. Like Protag, I think I made the right choice.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
That's odd... If you can hear the motor partially shut the valve, then the switch is working, which I assume is the case because you say the valve does not fully shut when you hold the switch. If you don't hear the motor run when you push the switch in the close direction, then the dealer's diagnosis is correct. If the switch is indeed bad, a replacement double pole double throw momentary switch runs about $5.00. It might be pretty straight forward as a DIY project. Don't know for sure as I have not taken mine apart, yet.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
Adventure Gypsy

Phoenix , Arizona
You are correct, there is no motor sound or activity when you try to close. It's like one side of the switch the close side has a short and the open side is still functioning correctly. Is say short because every now and then it catches and closes. I would replace just the switch myself if I could find where they are sourced from. I just wanted to keep the same look.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I say short because every now and then it catches and closes. I would replace just the switch myself if I could find where they are sourced from. I just wanted to keep the same look.
Actually I believe the switch contacts for closing are remaining open, not shorting. Quite possible you could remove the switch and disassemble (if possible) and clean the contacts to see if it could be made functional again.

FWIW, my lites never worked and since it's easy to tell audibly when it completes each operation, I never worried about it. Not sure if it was the bulbs/LEDs or the switch contacts at the valve.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Quote:
Has anyone out there had problems with either their black or gray electric (Auto-Drain) valves? My black tank electric valve opener gets stuck open and does not fully shut afterward. This in turn will not allow me to open and drain the gray water side because you cannot open both drains at the same time. I replaced the Auto-Drain and it closed, but when I went to open again to flush tank, it opened and would not fully shut again. The indicator light remains on showing it is still not closed. When I removed the original control, I checked the blade valve for any binding. It was very smooth both opening and shutting. I do not believe there is anything preventing the blade to fully close, such as toilet paper. I am starting to believe it is the switch and not the valve that maybe the issue. Any other ideas?
Yes, I am having a similar problem with the black Autodrain valve on my 2020 Atlas Motorhome. except in my case, I can open the valve with the switch and drain the black tank but I can't fully close it. It makes a clicking sound as if a gear was slipping and the light stays on. Consequently I can't drain my gray tank except by crawling under the rig and opening the valve manually.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? BTW do you know if the black Autodrain is the 3" model on the Atlas?

Much obliged for guidance.

Krikati
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
As a last resort on my 2013 model you can remove the actuator shaft from the motor and open and/or close the valves manually. Unfortunately you need to get underneath to do so.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
I had this issue and resolved it by running hot soapy water through the black tank and valve.
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
Same Problem

2020 Atlas - I've noticed the black tank valve light doesn't go off all the time lately. I just keep playing with the switch and it eventually will go off so that the gray tank can be emptied. I like the soapy water idea, plus earlier post of not using the dissolving deodorizer packets. Thanks for the ideas.
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote