Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
AI MOD Rear TV Mount - Smaller TV, Less bulk & articulation. Enable rotate function

I wanted & needed to find a solution to the bulky rear TV mount for a few reasons :
- sticks out almost 4" into aisle when mounted in the locked position.
- dangles from bath wall, kinda wobbly & wonky looking. Not a big fan
- very dangerous for my small grandson as bottom corner of TV is at his head/eye level.
- locked position is not very secure when in motion. Pops even with locking pin in position.
- the supplied mount is bulky, heavy, adds unnecessary complexity
- too much articulation for my needs. I use less articulation in my residence.
- I need a streamlined mount. In such limited room, a fixed mount works just as good.
- still, kudos to AI for a sturdy & robust mount, if fitted for residential use.

So, what to do? I have found many sturdy but simpler mounts. But they would require either drilling different holes on the AI bathroom wall or mod the new mount with new mounting holes to align with existing AI bath wall mounting holes. Also, the AI mounting holes have threaded metal inserts that accept 10-24 machine bolts. Since that exists, best to re-use.

Since I have no need for this mount inside my residence, I decided to mod it to fit my needs, rather than throwing it away & buying a simpler mount.

I am also substituting a 19" TV in place of the 24" Samsung. That saves 4" in width which effectively keeps the edges/corners that I keep hitting out of harm's way

- Pop out cable trough by pushing from bottom, so the top part pops out.
- Unscrew or cut 2 cable ties. Unplug all cables from TV.
- Remove TV from articulating arm. 4 screws attach TV to VESA mounting plate.
- NOTE: After removing 4 screws, the TV would not separate from the VESA mounting plate. They used an industrial-grade double-side tape holding the bottom of TV to VESA mounting plate. Use a butter knife to slowly peel from bottom or else you can potentially break the TV rear cover.
- Unbolt entire wall plate & mount assembly from bath wall.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1522613274990.png
Views:	120
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	307634

- Unbolt the VESA mounting plate (keep the short arm attached) from the articulating arm assembly.
- Remove 6 allen bolts that attach the entire assembly from the wall mounting plate.
- CAUTION: bolts were either tightened by an NFL lineman or Locktite'd. Be sure to use good allen wrench or you will strip the bolt heads.
- Cut locking tab from VESA mounting plate. This gets in the way of the rotate function of the mounting plate. Plus this tab will be a useless appendage for the simplified mount.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1522613448142.png
Views:	111
Size:	606.8 KB
ID:	307635

- Cut or file about 1/2" off the edge of the arm that is closest to the bolt-head of the rotating mechanism. There is a big reason for this, the pivot bolt lock-nuts will get in the way of the rotate function of the mounting plate (much like the locking tab I cut earlier). See closeup of bolt lock-nuts now clearing the edge of the arm after notch was cut/filed.
- PS: Notch is pretty jagged with the sharp silver edges exposed in order to highlight the area that was cut. I have since smoothed this out & touch up with black paint, so it blends seamlessly.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1522613573552.png
Views:	106
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	307636

- Align the 6 allen bolt holes of wall mounting plate onto the short arm attached to VESA mounting plate. Center holes on arm. Bottom-out the free end of the arm onto the tab that houses the spring-loaded locking pin. Drill the 6 new holes onto the arm.
- NOTE: I am using a smaller 19" TV so that there is no dangerous corners sticking out on the aisle. It is 17.5" from wall.
- NOTE: If you want to use the existing Samsung 24" TV, you will need to drill new holes on the left/isle side (R/S) of wall mounting plate in order to account for the wider TV. It is 22" from wall.
- NOTE: If you need to make full use of the VESA mounting plate's full rotational capability (360į) this requires a lot more modification to both mounting plates and arm that will not be discussed here. Conceivably, one can rotate the TV from landscape to portrait mode, if mounting plate's are installed another 2" further away from C/S wall. However, that put' s the TV edge even further out onto aisle, which I don't want. I am only using the rotate function to make sure TV is at perfect horizontal level.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1522613735535.png
Views:	102
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	307637

- Here's left & right pics from rear. The VESA mounting plate is now installed to the right (C/S) of wall mounting plate's centerline when mounting a 19" TV, so it is as close to wall as possible.
- If using the original Samsung 24", the VESA mounting plate would STILL need to be installed to the left (R/S) of wall mounting plate's centerline.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1522613875097.png
Views:	120
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	307638

Will post final pic of entire assembly w/ 19" TV mounted on bath wall if my wife ever comes back w/ AI from her shopping trip w/ kiddos & grandkiddos.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Since we have a lounge, converted to twin beds, I simply removed the rear TV for use in our house, and put the front TV on a swing-down mount so that it can be comfortably watched from the second-row chairs. The rear TV was replaced by a much-needed magazine rack.

The shot of the front TV was taken before I had policed up the cabling. It is much neater, now.

I could have reused the rear mount, but I did not make the changes at the same time. Our wants and needs change as we use the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171124_123456.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	307640   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170624_161030.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	307641  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
put the front TV on a swing-down mount so that it can be comfortably watched from the second-row chairs. The rear TV was replaced by a much-needed magazine rack.

The shot of the front TV was taken before I had policed up the cabling. It is much neater, now.
I didn't think the cabling was still dangling

I was originally thinking of keeping the rear Samsung 24" and using flip down mount but it would have required drilling into ceiling, which was too risky even if I knew the proper mounting points. Not to metion the a/c.

If it was just me & wife, I would've gone your route w/ mag rack. 2 TV's w/ a 24" in rear was overkill. Would've been faster. But still needed a small TV in rear for grandson. He can't tell the diff between 19" or 24" Though my mod was not hard, just took a long time coz the thick alu tubes took forever to drill & cut.

Just noticed you have the wardrobe. I would've hated it if I had to put up w/ the 24" that much closer to rear lounge/bed
Old 04-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I didn't think the cabling was still dangling
The cabling in the photo is just hanging out in the air to the right of the mount. It is now all in cable ways and pretty much out of sight.

And, yes, the big rear TV was far too close to the couch.

For what you were aiming for, I think you made a very good mod. I'm a strong believer that the coach is mine and I will make it fit my needs and not the ideas of some designer or accountant.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
I wanted & needed to find a solution to the bulky rear TV mount for a few reasons :

So, what to do?
I went with a simpler approach:

- When the coach is in motion, it's locked in place. Nobody should be up walking around so it's not in anyone's way.

- When I'm parked and we're moving around inside, I unlock it and swing it such that the TV screen is flat against the side wall.

I tried messing with the mount (shortening, reversing it, etc.) but found the above "system" to work well enough for us.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post

- When the coach is in motion, it's locked in place. Nobody should be up walking around so it's not in anyone's way.

- When I'm parked and we're moving around inside, I unlock it and swing it such that the TV screen is flat against the side wall.

I tried messing with the mount (shortening, reversing it, etc.) but found the above "system" to work well enough for us.....
This is exactly what we have been doing!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:

You are right, that is so much simpler. But our AI gets used a lot in town as a people mover with about 6-7 family members. So, we end up locking & unlocking all the time. I honestly got the go ahead from wife to remove it completely as PAHASKA did. But grandson requested to keep it there. He likes viewing from the rear sofa when we are camped and forces us to have TV sticking out for his viewing. So was forced to find the best way to get the best viewing distance & viewing angle from rear sofa AND keep it tucked in behind bath wall to avoid hitting. Just so happened to have a 19" in my home office, still in box. So got the best of everything without spending anymore $ . Blew my whole Saturday though

OK, also confession from an OCD person here - I really hate articulating mounts because I can not keep it level through it's entire travel. So, I needed an excuse to mount it fixed. It still pans left/right and tilts up/down as far as bath wall allows. And I can rotate it and lock it in place once I find level

I may still mount back the original Samsung 24", but if I do, I will have the option to just rotate it 90į from landscape to portrait orientation when not in use.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
but if I do, I will have the option to just rotate it 90į from landscape to portrait orientation when not in use.
When I was fiddling around with the mechanism trying different ways to fold it, etc., there appeared to be a way to do exactly that (rotate it 90*). If I remember right, the mount was made to do that, it just couldn't do it because of how it was installed. I was going to mess with it and see if I could get it to work that way, but I realized if I did that, I'd lose the locking mechanism. At that point I just punted and decided to go with "Plan B" and move it out of the way when we're parked.

The front TV, however, may have a very limited future if I bang my head on it again......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
While Alex AVI has already found a good solution, there is a way to change the OEM articulating arm so that the TV mounts flush to the hallway corner.

I had posted this under a generic long thread a while back, but here are those photos again. If you change the direction of the folding articulating arm to a zag-zig instead of a zig-zag, it pulls the TV closer to the wall. BTW, I think my TVs are 22". The latching no longer engages, but my pivot joints are overtightened so it doesn't budge. I suppose a person could lash it if desired.

Since I have a Grand Tour, the front TV stuck out into the hallway, too, so I fixed that obtrusion by drilling new holes and shifting the mount about two inches. Still plenty of clearance between front TV and the wall (last photo).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5489.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	307698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5490.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	307699  

Name:	IMG_5492.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	307700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	307701  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Only 4"? I would have guessed it more.

This was a head-scratcher for me when I first reviewed the TB during an RV show here locally. I wondered what in the Sam Houston (or Sam Hill) they were thinking with that installation. The model on display had the TV sticking WAY out:

Regarding the mounts that don't necessarily lock securely, we get around that with a long piece of Velcro that loops around the entire TV and runs through a hold-down point on the swing arm base plate which attaches to the cabinet. There's no danger of the Velcro scratching the TV face because we cut a piece of black coroplast to serve as a face shield (that after a number of accidental tight-space scratches were imparted to the TV face). The Velcro simultaneously holds the coroplast in place. The coroplast is black so it's not noticeable when the TV is "wearing" it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Contributing Member

I never had the rear TV come unlocked during the time it was in the coach. It only stuck out about 2" in the aisle. I simply decided that I could do more with that space.

With a 2-row coach, our TV watching place is the second row and the drop-down front TV fills that need. Even at 85, I can still duck under it when it is lowered if I need something up front. The locking pin on the drop-down mount is about 1/2" in diameter and takes quite a tug on the chain to disengage, so it is quite secure.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #12

Sorry folks it took awhile to post final pics. Wife insisted I finish my "honey-do" list before finishing this "rv-do" list.

Anyway, here is the final install. It was just as I had thought in my head. No more bulky swing arms, TV safely tucked in behind bath wall, still have ability to pan left/right to get perfect viewing angle from either side of sofa. I pushed TV butt-up into C/S wall, so can't fully rotate, but it has the functionality to do so if I pulled it 1-2" away from C/S wall. But I only use rotate function to level the TV. Best of all, did not have to buy another mount & no more hitting my elbow or grandson hitting his head/eyes. The 19" is plenty big for that space. Also, even with slightly thicker depth of the 19" TV, overall, the front of TV is flusher/closer to bath wall than the thinner Samsung. 😁 Happy camper here.

Name:	PhotoGrid_1522780012842.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	307801
Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Only 4"? I would have guessed it more.

This was a head-scratcher for me when I first reviewed the TB during an RV show here locally. I wondered what in the Sam Houston (or Sam Hill) they were thinking with that installation.
INTERBLOG, actually you are right, it is closer to 5" on mine. I was being nice to AI 😉 And yes, my sentiments exactly WTHeck were they thinking? Maybe had they not angled the bath door, it would not stick out. But then the bath door would hit galley and they would've had to narrow it more or make it a double door. One problem leads to another.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #14

Quote:
The front TV, however, may have a very limited future if I bang my head on it again......
That is the next one I want to tackle. I heard some wiggle room exists up there, but I will start to look closer into that mech this weekend. Thinking of an actual flip-up mech, but I worry about those in non-static installs. Most are not made for moving vehicles. More later 😁
Old 09-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carmel , California
AI rear TV Mount

I am hoping that someone can explain to me how to unlock the rear TV mount? I canít seem to get this to budge. Also there is a Blue Flexible wire that is middle bottom of the tv mount and I havenít a clue as to what this does?
Martinperri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #16
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinperri View Post
I am hoping that someone can explain to me how to unlock the rear TV mount? I canít seem to get this to budge. Also there is a Blue Flexible wire that is middle bottom of the tv mount and I havenít a clue as to what this does?
Welcome to the forum!!!

What year/model do you have?

There should be a strap that you pull to release the monitor mount to allow it to swivel...

Let me see if this photo helps. Circled in red is the strap and mechanism that locks it in place.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Monitor lock.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	379338  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
Alex

Re: Pop out cable trough by pushing from bottom, so the top part pops out.

I’m not quite sure where or what to push. Could you please elaborate? I’m a newbie.

Thanks
jgummoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:47 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carmel , California
Thank you for response I did the change discussed with the articulating arm bringing the TV closer to the side wall and out of the hallway by the zig zag motion. Works better just have to strap it into place so it doesn’t swing around during travel or back to original position locked against wall while traveling. Mount is way overboard for this use I must say.
Martinperri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
FWIW, you can now get a moveable TV mount. Use just 1 TV in several locations!
https://www.organizedobie.com/2311L-...-Locking-Mount