Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bedford , Texas
digital tv antenna

My TV's tell me the digital signal is too low and will not tune to a station. Understandable if in the mountains, but in the middle of DFW metroplex it doesn't make sense. Advice? Thanks in advance.
GFtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
digital tv antenna

The signal booster in the locker above the drivers seat needs to be on (green light on) and the TV settings should be set to antenna "over the air". Then run the auto channel seek on the tv. It then ought to find a few stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I am almost within shouting distance of you, ten miles from Bedford in East Fort Worth near the peak of the highest terrain in Tarrant County (less than 2 miles from the channel 5 transmitter tower) and even with the signal booster on, the TVs in my 2013 Interstate can lock onto several of the digital channels but some still have insufficient strength to produce a usable signal. Digital stations are on a subcarrier from a regular broadcast station and their signal strength is often pitifully low, apparently nowhere near as high as the analog channels. I have found atmospheric conditions and even the time of day can make a difference in whether or not a given digital channel will lock in.

I have also found there is enough signal loss inside the Airstream that the front TV, the one nearest the signal amplifier, will get a usable signal from channels the TV in the rear reports as insufficient signal strength. I have checked and double checked the coax connections at the signal booster and on both TVs and all of the connections appear to be good. The next thing for me to check would be to see if the is a signal booster with higher output, but I don't watch enough TV while camping to goad me into investigating further. I am more concerned about internet connectivity.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I just came across this article on digital channel strength you might find instructive.

— Navajo saying
Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I am surprised if the signal is that weak, that when you scan for channels, it will even pick it up.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I am surprised if the signal is that weak, that when you scan for channels, it will even pick it up.
It appears there are two different things going on
  1. a marginal signal that fades in and out due to external factors — even leaves blowing on an overhanging tree.
  2. The Television set detects the sub-carrier and locks onto that, but the data part of the signal is too weak for the audio/video to synch.
Even with shore power, so battery strength is is eliminated as a contributing factor, I have been in the middle of watching a show only to have the signal fade and lose the picture but still have audio or lose both picture and sound. Frankly the content of most of the digital channels I have seen, is not all that great so it is generally only mildly annoying.

— Navajo saying
Old 10-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I think if you can't get stations in a signal-rich environment, there is something wrong in your setup. My 2001 had the original older Sensar antenna and it would receive all the Orlando stations around 75 miles away from my house. I added the "wingman" UHF attachment and it does even better. I got Charleston stations from Orangeburg. If the green led is lit on the switch panel you may have a bad cable somewhere, perhaps the one that connects to the antenna up on the roof.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My 2012 Interstate with Winegard omnidirectional antenna picks up 22 stations in the parking lot of my apartment complex in the New Orleans metro area. By comparison, a Winegard Razor antenna in my second-floor apartment just 200 feet away picks up 18 stations.

But if I try with the antenna amplifier (AKA signal booster) off, the televisions in the Interstate pick up exactly ONE station. That amplifier makes a big difference!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #9

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I think if you can't get stations in a signal-rich environment, there is something wrong in your setup. My 2001 had the original older Sensar antenna and it would receive all the Orlando stations around 75 miles away from my house. I added the "wingman" UHF attachment and it does even better. I got Charleston stations from Orangeburg. If the green led is lit on the switch panel you may have a bad cable somewhere, perhaps the one that connects to the antenna up on the roof.

Al
How about this one. One broadcast station in our area has five digital sub-channels. It is not uncommon to be able to pull in three or four of those sub channels but not the remaining one or two. The outermost channels are the most likely to not synch in. Another anomaly is I am less than two miles from one stations transmitting tower but the digital channels from another station whose tower is over 25 miles away are much more reliable.

— Navajo saying
Old 10-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
One thing to check could be the connections between the antenna and the booster in your TT.

One or more could be corroded, or just plain loose. Yes, even on a 2013.