Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
No antenna signal with digital TV

We have a 2003 Sony digital TV which is factory installed. We also had the factory install a dome king dish on the roof. On our last two trips out we've had problems acquiring a satellite signal. Our service provider told us we were receiving a signal, it just wasn't getting to the receiver. We also could not get reception using the antenna with the boost on. On our last stop on the way home we hooked up to the RV Park's cable, after not getting a satellite signal again. Once the cable was hooked up we had satellite reception as well - I forgot to check to see if we could get reception using the antenna.

As we have all learned, the Factory makes a good trailer but they don't know squat about electronics. My question is could this be a problem in the switch box, or do I need to look for another problem? With over 50 days of 100+ days so far here in Texas, we aren't looking to camp any time before October. Then we'll test the antenna, cable, and satellite once again.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To receive a signal off your roof top antenna you need a digital converter box as of June of this year.

As far as the satellite is concerned there has been no change. If your selector box is set to satellite and your antenna is aimed at the satellite and you have tuned in a signal with the satellite set up system you should have complete satellite programing. Hooking up to campground cable should have no effect on satellite coverage. In fact they are 2 different selections on the selector box.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Bad news: Digital TV signals don't reach as far as the analog predecessor. Plus, campgrounds usually are located far away from the urban center (or the signal towers).

At a campground I stayed over this summer, I used get signals from all the stations at one site, but when a better space (only a few hundreds feet away, shaded by trees, better views) became available and I moved, I then no longer receive signals from majority of the stations.

Good news: when you do receive signals, the picture and audio quality are crisp and clear.

Check out Wineguard Wingman (I haven't tried it yet, perhaps waiting for something better)

Winegard Wingman - Item - Camping World
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...man-48742.html
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We bought a new tv. Works fine without satellite or anything more than a small antenna.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks for the input guys. I thought that as long as I had a digital TV that the original antenna would work. The distance from the broadcast towers may have been a factor, though. We were camping on the banks of the Mississippi on the Arkansas side and the towers were somewhere on the Tennessee side around Memphis, but we had clear skies and no trees to speak of close by.

The satellite still puzzles me. The dish will lock onto a signal, but is unable to relay to the receiver - except for an error message. Then I go out and hook up to the Park's cable, and when I get back inside there's my satellite reception. This is what still has me thinking that there is a problem with the switch box - kind of like a short in a wire.

I'll look into replacing the antenna, but I'm not sure I'd need a converter box when I have a digital TV.

Thanks again.

________Tom

Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Tom,

This statement confuses me: "Our service provider told us we were receiving a signal, it just wasn't getting to the receiver."

How can they say you are receiving a signal if the receiver isn't getting it? Did they hook up a different receiver to the antenna? Your antenna may well lock onto a signal, but it may or may NOT be the channel that your satellite service provider is sending for you...

Also, your 2003 Sony TV: have you been able to receive digital signals without one of those converters in another set-up? Not all digital TVs have a Digital tuner, IMHO, and 2003 was early days for that technology, I think. Look for ATSC and /or QAM capabilities in your owner's manual.

However, the fact that connecting the park cable turns other things on leads me to go along with your assessment that something relatively simple may be bad in your connections. Maybe just a bad or missing ground somewhere.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Right now, we're in Salida, CO and receive digital CH 13 from Colo. Spgs. 100 miles away. What I don' get is I also receive 3 Denver stations, 160 miles away, on analog, a little snowy, but viewable. We're using only the factory Winegard antenea.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
We bought a new tv this year, an LCD Digital TV but id does have a digital receiver built into it, using the old antenna on the trailer we receive digital broadcasts just fine, a converter box is not needed unless your TV does not have a digital receiver.
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Did you do a scan for your TV for local channels?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I get 3 more digital channels with my batwing on the Bambi in my yard than I get with the new antenna I have affixed 38 ft. up an oak tree. The tree mounted antenna has a rotator and a clear shot to the majority of the local stations, and the batwing is on the opposite side of the house. It's always been that way, even before I upgraded the antenna up the tree.

Go figure.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
[quote=Aage;737454]Tom,

This statement confuses me: "Our service provider told us we were receiving a signal, it just wasn't getting to the receiver."

How can they say you are receiving a signal if the receiver isn't getting it? Did they hook up a different receiver to the antenna? Your antenna may well lock onto a signal, but it may or may NOT be the channel that your satellite service provider is sending for you...

Also, your 2003 Sony TV: have you been able to receive digital signals without one of those converters in another set-up? Not all digital TVs have a Digital tuner, IMHO, and 2003 was early days for that technology, I think. Look for ATSC and /or QAM capabilities in your owner's manual.

Aage,

My provider is Direct TV. The Dome King is programmed to search for D TV satellite signals. After it locked on it would display an error message. I contacted D TV and they would confirm that a signal was being transmitted to my receiver, and that I should be receiving the transmission. I don't understand the "how's" of it anymore than how I can talk to our daughter on the phone with her in China. Both are just magic that I just accept.

I'll get out the manual for the Sony and confirm the set is digital or analog.

Thanks.

________Tom

Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Did you do a scan for your TV for local channels?
Yes, with no results.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

The regular Sensar antena on your 2004 Classic will receive digital signals and does not need changed(you can add a Batwing extension). Your Original Sony TV would not be digtal ready and does need a convertor box to convert your signal.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Directv has started a shut down on the receiver card if the TV has not been used for a couple of weeks. If you are getting an error message when you first go on satellite you may have to call them to reinstate the card. I have this and it is a pain in the ass. Not sure why cable could kick start the Directv.

As for your TV I would call the manufacture with the serial number in hand and ask if that TV has a digital tuner in it. Like I said above I doubt it.

There is no reason to buy a new antenna with the current problems. You may want one latter depending on the distance you are from the local stations. The NEW SIGNAL does not travel as far as the old analog signal. This fraud was to sell cable and satellite and get lost of money for the government from the sale of the old bandwidth. It had nothing to do with quality of service to the public.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Digital channels are transmitted in the "old" UHF range and as such are line of sight only. Analog transmissions are VHF and had a much longer range.

On the sat signal, I would check the connections from the reciever to the TV (and make sure you have the TV set to the right input!).

Good luck,
Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
The tree mounted antenna has a rotator and a clear shot to the majority of the local stations, and the batwing is on the opposite side of the house.
Your tree needs upgrading
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
Aage,

My provider is Direct TV. The Dome King is programmed to search for D TV satellite signals. After it locked on it would display an error message. I contacted D TV and they would confirm that a signal was being transmitted to my receiver, and that I should be receiving the transmission. I don't understand the "how's" of it anymore than how I can talk to our daughter on the phone with her in China. Both are just magic that I just accept.

I'll get out the manual for the Sony and confirm the set is digital or analog.

Thanks.

________Tom
OK, I get it now, you have one of those "smart" antennas. Don't know about pricing of those in the US, but up here the one I saw, the dealer wanted ~C$1,500.

I'll stay dumb for that much
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Directv has started a shut down on the receiver card if the TV has not been used for a couple of weeks. If you are getting an error message when you first go on satellite you may have to call them to reinstate the card. I have this and it is a pain in the ass. Not sure why cable could kick start the Directv.
I'm very familiar with the error message you're talking about. I should be on a first name basis with the D TV people who have reinstated the card over the past 5 years for me.

The only thought I could come up with to explain the cable thing is that there is a problem with the switch box.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

_______Tom

Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Anyone having this problem with Dish Network?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote