Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2022, 06:10 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Airstream is not known for electrical design excellence - a sad commentary on their expensive vans.

I too rebuilt my complete electrical system in 2015, back then I chose to stay with Lifeline AGM batteries. They have served me well over last 7 years.
Hi

The E1 is a drop in system that they get from somebody. We have guesses about who, but I've not seen anything that proves who it is. Just who they went with and what the problems are ... who knows.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The E1 is a drop in system that they get from somebody. We have guesses about who, but I've not seen anything that proves who it is. Just who they went with and what the problems are ... who knows.

Bob
Know need to guess - it is a Volta system.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/upgra...he-e1-package/

If Airstream techs are having problems with a Volta system, they must have made some installation errors. Or perhaps the problems with the E1 package could be the Timberline part and not the Volta electrical system.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:00 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Massachusetts
boy I was tempted on that E1 but way too much money for me. Of course, being a newbie, I take it on face value that things will work - sadly that seems to be asking too much.
Indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:25 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCMD View Post
We were at Airstream Factory and I asked some technicians about the E1. Told me to avoid it because they were having problems with it. Too new; too many bugs. Hope this helps anyone thinking of E1
Yup, that’s no surprise to many here. Expect a hiccup curve in the beginning. This is a major change for them. If they had some issues with a simple Lithium upgrade, can’t imagine a smooth E1 implementation.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:35 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats and enjoy ! (I always like having a spare)
Old 09-27-2022, 06:15 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Know need to guess - it is a Volta system.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/upgra...he-e1-package/

If Airstream techs are having problems with a Volta system, they must have made some installation errors. Or perhaps the problems with the E1 package could be the Timberline part and not the Volta electrical system.
Hi

Part of it is from Volta. There are a lot of bits and pieces in there. Some are identified with vendors and others ... not so much.

Bob
Old 09-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1

Techs at Jackson Center did not tell me what the problem/s were with E1 other than to avoid it. I was surprised AS uses the Volta batteries instead of Battle Born that are used in their other units. I have no problems with my generator, propane, or furnace. Plus, the propane stove has 2 burners instead of the 1 burner induction on E1. Only issue I have is the 4 270ah GC3 Lithium batteries do not last as long as I expect. They are drained after 5 days with only the 3000W Victron inverter and WeeBoot active. Will take the coach back to Tampa Airstream that installed the system to be checked. As a "newbe" maybe I expect too much from 1200ah battery system.
CRCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Only issue I have is the 4 270ah GC3 Lithium batteries do not last as long as I expect. They are drained after 5 days with only the 3000W Victron inverter and WeeBoot active. Will take the coach back to Tampa Airstream that installed the system to be checked. As a "newbe" maybe I expect too much from 1200ah battery system.

I’m curious, how is your battery bank being charged up besides shore power?

That is a big bank to charge up when not tied to shore power. A few hundred watts of solar is a drop in the bucket.

Are your batteries not charging or is it that your running your AC regularly off the inverter and the batteries are being depleted?
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:07 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Techs at Jackson Center did not tell me what the problem/s were with E1 other than to avoid it. I was surprised AS uses the Volta batteries instead of Battle Born that are used in their other units. I have no problems with my generator, propane, or furnace. Plus, the propane stove has 2 burners instead of the 1 burner induction on E1. Only issue I have is the 4 270ah GC3 Lithium batteries do not last as long as I expect. They are drained after 5 days with only the 3000W Victron inverter and WeeBoot active. Will take the coach back to Tampa Airstream that installed the system to be checked. As a "newbe" maybe I expect too much from 1200ah battery system.
Hi

If the inverter is on all the time, it will likely be pulling a couple amps. If you have the same fridge as the X, it can pull about 5 to 7A on average under warm conditions. This time of year, the furnace might be running. It uses 12V power for things like blower fans.

The WeBoost gizmo will pull a couple amps. Exactly how much depends on which unit you have. Lights in the van also pull more than a bit of power while they are on. Usually the water pump is not a big contributor to drain.

So:

5 days is 120 hours. If you are pulling 10A, your 1200 AH bank goes dead. That assumes it was fully charged at the start. ( Yes, charging is worth looking in to ).

Roughly half of your 10A would go into the fridge. If the inverter and the WeBoost each pull 2A, that's about it. If they each pull 1A you have 3A left over. Lights likely average in at about an amp.

Depending on the furnace you have, it could easily average out in the couple amps range. Run the microwave for a while on the inverter, same thing. Watch TV for a couple hours each night.....

Bottom line:

Not a really big surprise. One of the nice things about a shunt based monitor like the BMV 712 is that it shows you what's going on. One came stock on the X. If you have one on your van, it's worth loading up the app on your phone.

Bob
Old 09-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
E1 Large batteries Spare tire

I believe you are correct about drained 1200aH batteries after 5 days just powering the inverter and WeBoost cell booster. I called WeBoost today and they said my booster draws 3amps@12V. I don’t know what the 3000W victron inverter draws, maybe around 4-5amps. That would likely deplete the batteries in 5 days. I’m going to look into a secondary alternator.

I had an Owl ladder/tire carrier and Sherpa rack/external storage box installed. Feel much better with a spare tire available
CRCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Well we are now investigating a 19 4x4 with E1. Currently we have a Rangeline with Pop Top on order but are thinking of going a little smaller with more luxury for the quick trips we will take. Definitely more expensive but getting a little nervous about the Rangeline…

Will search though here and see if I am missing something.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
About how long to get a 4x4 with the E1 package?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:26 PM   #53

2023 Interstate 19
Northern NJ , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoorsy View Post
you're all amazingly helpful and i am soooo grateful. I had no idea there was a new chassis coming re: the sprinter. When I read the messages it was on the fly and I thought what you were suggesting was to wait until the new chassis was available and go for that ... It wasn't until I took a few minutes to re-read that I learned you're suggesting exactly the opposite and that surely makes a lot of sense.

I've been sitting on it and not making a decision - got a call today from Colonial with a very welcome bit of news. They are offering a unit that just came in (new 28 miles), same price as already discussed ($20k more than the used one) -- it's a 2023 AI19 4x4, but instead of Modern Greige, its Tommy Bahama interior (which I really love). So the deal is done!! just seems like it wasn't going to get better than this and I am happy to have the decision behind me.

And like I said when I started this message, you're input was SO helpful! thank you so much.
Indoorsy - congrats on your purchase. What was your MSRP and what did you ended up getting it for from Colonial? You now have owned it for some time - how do you like it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
RV-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:48 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-newbie View Post
Indoorsy - congrats on your purchase. What was your MSRP and what did you ended up getting it for from Colonial? You now have owned it for some time - how do you like it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi

Not 100% sure if the OP is still around. Last post here was in January. Folks do come and go here on the forum. That's fine, and not a knock on anybody ....

Looking at the market today vs a year ago, now is a *much* better time to go shopping for a new RV. (and back then was much better than a year earlier).

With any purchase like this, head over and spend some time in several "candidate" RV's. Don't rush, sit here, sit there, see how you fit. Work out how the space available will be used (or used up .... ). Spending a day over at Colonial is not at all out of the question for this sort of "deep dive".

The MSRP numbers on all the models are posted on the AS web site. They typically don't change over the year. There may be "last year's models" discounts in the fall. Past that, a 10% discount off MSRP is not uncommon in "normal times". Anything over 20% (not including those end of the year discounts) is unusual.

We bought our X the day it was announced. When you do that sort of thing, you don't expect a lot of discount. That said, they (Colonial) did knock a bit off MSRP. This also was in a "up" market for RV's (so a double whammy ....).

Bob