Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
New to the Forum - contemplating a 25-28 foot Airstream.

I'm looking for an Airstream. I am contemplating a 2000 to 2010 model, 25 foot to a 28 foot. I don't want to restore or rebuild one. I am planning a trip from Dallas Texas to Valdez, Alaska for the Valdez STOL Competition and for 1-2 months vacation driving to and from Alaska.
Everything I seem to find are Bambi's, 22, or 24 foot trailers which I feel are too small to be comfortable. Then there are 30, 31, or 34 foot which Both my wife and I feel are too long. My wife just balks at something 30 foot or longer, and I kind of agree they would be more difficult to tow, back up, & difficult to maneuver.
A 25 to 28 foot seems like it would be larger enough to be comfortable to live in for the 1-2 months I'll be in Alaska. I have found a couple of really nice 30 foot trailers but haven't ventured out to see them as of yet, still trying to find one in the 25 to 28 foot range, that are in my price range. Any inputs?
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes.

First, we love our 27FB, which is actually 28' 1" long (a silly inch longer than the 28).

Second, if you're seriously shopping, maybe post an add at airstreamclassifieds.com under the category "WANTED | Trailers (All Years)" as this is where folks wanting to sell an airstream will be looking.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Let me comment on one of your misconceptions. The longer a trailer is the easier it is to back up.

As for towing there isn't that much difference unless you go real short and then sway can be an issue on a single axle trailer.

You are wise in your date range as Alaska will age the trailer. My last trip was in 2000 and i can still find Alaskan dirt in my rig. The paint was removed from the tongue of the trailer. Now that said I do not limit my travels to paved roads. The Casiar was chip and seal then.

On the paint removal issue. I had made mud flaps for the truck. Thinking of the type of rock here on the east coast I made them quite low to the ground. The rock in Alaska is very soft and crumbles to a fine dust. The flaps acted like a vacuum and swirled the dust up and acted like a sand blaster on the front of the trailer. If you use flaps make them at least 6 in. ff the ground

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
X2. Those extra 2-3 feet are not going to make that much of a difference towing or backing up, but will make a world of a difference while your staying in it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Ditto the comments by HowieE. When going to Alaska you should be thinking about protection like this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1348717664

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we towed our FC 28 to AK & back last summer, & thought it was great. . . We came from a Safari 25, & liked the dinette & shower you can actually get in in the 28.!. . . Put it on the AMHS ferry too, it was a 14k mile trip from AZ. . . going back next year to re-visit & see new places we missed. I recommend NEW tires all round, & service on TV & Rock-tamers. . . p.s., don't pass ANYTHING by, see it all. . . Regards, Craig
Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
New to the Forum - contemplating a 25-28 foot Airstream

Thanks for the inputs, from what I'm hearing a 30' wouldn't be bad either. I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with a 5.0 Liter Cummins V8, that can tow a 12,000 pound trailer. So towing a 30' wouldn't be an issue. Coming and going I have two different routes planned, one up through Seattle, Vancouver, etc, but I hadn't planned on the AMHS ferry. Can a 30' be taken on the AMHS ferry to Alaska? I would bet the ferry is quite Expensive. I might look into that. On the way back I was planning the Alaskan Highway: Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Edmonton. I'd definately put some protection on the front of the trailer. I actually had an Airstream repair guy recommend I buy a cheaper trailer to tow up to Alaska, and then sell it when I get back.

I've been struggling with the idea of buying a trailer. I can buy a lot of hotel room stays for the price of an Airstream, but Hotels have their downside, and sometimes there no room at the inn.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zmann View Post
Thanks for the inputs, from what I'm hearing a 30' wouldn't be bad either. I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with a 5.0 Liter Cummins V8, that can tow a 12,000 pound trailer. So towing a 30' wouldn't be an issue. Coming and going I have two different routes planned, one up through Seattle, Vancouver, etc, but I hadn't planned on the AMHS ferry. Can a 30' be taken on the AMHS ferry to Alaska? I would bet the ferry is quite Expensive. I might look into that. On the way back I was planning the Alaskan Highway: Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Edmonton. I'd definately put some protection on the front of the trailer. I actually had an Airstream repair guy recommend I buy a cheaper trailer to tow up to Alaska, and then sell it when I get back.

I've been struggling with the idea of buying a trailer. I can buy a lot of hotel room stays for the price of an Airstream, but Hotels have their downside, and sometimes there no room at the inn.
You may want to see this if you haven't already.

http://longlonghoneymoon.com/2016/06/alaska-part-i/
Old 09-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
New to the Forum - contemplating a 25-28 foot Airstream

Yes, I have watched LoLoHo's videos. I've read 2 of their books and watched several of their videos. I've been wanting to drive up for several years. I'll be lone wolfing it for the drive, my wife has no interest. She may fly up for a short stay.

A few years back I had heat stroke, ever since I can not take the heat. Once it gets to about 95 Degrees I'm stuck indoors. I'm actually contemplating reverse Snow Birding. Live in Dallas area, escape for the heat of the summer.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I think you're on the right track. A 25' sounds perfect for the trip. We did it in a 30' fifth wheel going up the AH and back on the Cassiar. If I were to do it in our current Airstream, which is a possibility, I'd avoid the rugged back road trips like Top of the World. There's enough rugged driving on poor roads without seeking them out. And I'd make darn sure my axles were in tip top shape. If Alaska were the reason I was buying an Airstream I'd be on the lookout for an older one someone had recently reaxled but the skin was in need of attention. Heck of a trip though, I'd go again in a heart beat in any rig towed by any truck.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
That is unfair. You don't drive to Alaska to miss Chicken and Dawson City for a little dirt. That is why they have high pressure washing stations in Tok after you come off the Top of the World.

You have to remember there are a few different rules of the road up there. You have to stop for a disabled vehicle, you must pull over if there are 5 cars behind you, and you can't shot from the road.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We just made the trip to Alaska. Got home 3 wks ago. The roads are much better then some of the responders encountered in past years BUT there are still lots of long patches of gravel where repairs are underway. We covered the lower front of our AS with carpeting on the trip up. I didn't put it on for the return trip. Going up we did have more gravel roads to deal with. A trip of a lifetime so, by all means, do it. The trip to Dawson City and Chicken does add to the adventure. The road into Valdez was probably my all time favorite drive. Our only happenings along the way were a few stone chips in the truck windshield ( I had them stabilized in Whitehorse, YT on the way back) and one tire repair on the trailer. A few minor trailer issues too but manageable.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
What's the payload on your Titan XD? It's the yellow sticker in your drivers side door jamb. I like the idea of the XD, but I haven't seen any real numbers on payload, just what the advertised numbers are.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
What's the payload on your Titan XD? It's the yellow sticker in your drivers side door jamb. I like the idea of the XD, but I haven't seen any real numbers on payload, just what the advertised numbers are.
X2 !

Checked one at a local dealer and it was 1540lbs
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
length for comfort

If you're going to be living in it for 2 months I'd get the longest you can find and/or afford. We just bought an International Serenity 27FB and love it! It's just the 2 of us and we'll only be camping for a week or so at a time. We considered all lengths and literally spent months going to RV shows and visiting several dealers. We found the 28' (27FB is 28' long) to be the sweet spot. Long enough to be comfortable but not too long that we can't fit it into National or State parks. The layout can be different based on the model and the year you are looking at, so do some research on storage space, seating, kitchen features (stove or no stove?). Some have a convection microwave and no stove in the new ones, but I'm not sure what was in the older models.
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
X2 !

Checked one at a local dealer and it was 1540lbs
Wow, that is surprising! Not much different than the ecodiesel, though I assume it has a lot more engine/transmission weight. Did you get a chance to look at the payload on an XD gasser?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I looked at both the Dodge (I've owned a Ram 2500 with a Cummins), and the Nissan. I was never pleased with the Dodge, the engine was great but the Truck fell apart around the engine, and it road like an old farm tractor. Also, I only wanted a 4 door Crew Cab. I can carry 4 300 lbs people plus 398 lbs of Fuel & cargo. Since the combined weigh of me and my wife is 310 lbs, we can carry 1288 lbs of Fuel & cargo.

Max Payload Max Towing
Dodge Eco Diesel 1600 LBS 9,000 LBS
Nissan SD Cummins 1598 LBS 11,928 LBS

When I purchased it there were no Gas models available, they came out last month. I bought it because it has a Cummins 5.0 Liter V8.

So the Nissan has a whopping 2 Lbs less payload capacity and can has 2,928 lbs more in Towing Capacity.

I drove both the Nissan & the Dodge, I like the ride much better on the Nissan, and the options were much better. Out of the 3 prior Trucks 2 Dodges Truck & 1 Toy Truck, the Nissan has the best ride. I paid about $42,500 with all the discounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NissanTowing.png
Views:	111
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	272391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DodgeEcoDieselTowing.png
Views:	88
Size:	747.5 KB
ID:	272393  

Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the update, glad you like your truck. A little less payload, but a whole lot more motor is probably a good trade off! I bet the gas version has some really nice payload numbers!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
I thought the 2 lbs trade off on payload was made up with it's ability to 2,928 lbs more in Towing Capacity.

If I end up getting a 30 foot AS, they can be upwards of 8900 to 10,300 lbs and the Nissan could tow it. With the Dodge Ram 1500 towing capacity of only 9,000 lbs I was going to have to go up to the Ram 2500 to get a Truck that could tow the larger trailers.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Remember that 10,000 pound number is the max it COULD weigh. If you don't load it up it can weigh a lot less.