Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Atlas Outside Storage

New Atlas owner in addition to our existing 2009 27Fb International. Love the Atlas so far but got really spoiled with all the extra storage our pickup/tow vehicle allows with the trailer. Atlas storage is weak at best. We can't fit decent size chairs, portable gas fire pit etc. Anything of any size.

We had always intended to use our receiver bike rack with the Atlas but really feel like a receiver platform storage would give us what we need that doesn't fit in the outside Atlas storage areas. But we do want to bring the bikes.

We are looking for a receiver platform storage that includes a bike rack for 2 bikes. ETrailer has one but it's $2000. Another we saw specifically says not for Trailers or RV's. Has anyone found something that overcomes the Atlas lack of storage that can accommodate a couple of bikes.
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Check out Stowaway2.com
We have the large cargo box for our Interstate and love the swing away feature. We have researched and may add a separate bike rack on the rear door to have flexibility depending on our trip plans. They have a cargo rack/bike rack combo for $689. We like the closed box and have found it to be weather proof. We fill it with our outside gear and makes campsite set up easy. It can hold up to 250 lbs.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One solution: Play with an Interstate for a while and the storage in the Atlas will seem gigantic

There are a number of threads running around about receiver mounted storage platforms. Even the good ones hit the basic hitch limits of the vehicle ( = you only get a few hundred pounds of "stuff", even with the best of the best).

The level of shake rattle and roll on the tail end of an RV is pretty significant. That's what drives a lot of the "not for trailers or RV's" restrictions.

Another alternative is a small trailer. There are indeed disadvantages to this "solution", so read up on what's been said already. Cost wise there are some that are competitive with the bigger racks.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I would seriously wait on adding a big huge storage box to the back of your Atlas. It will make your unit longer and more ungainly, even if nothing goes wrong back there. If you need that much more room, you should probably just sell your Atlas to one of many eager buyers you're likely to find, at a great price for you, and then buy a bigger Class C or maybe even a Class A.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Having traveled with a cargo box on our Interstate 24GL I can say that it did not impede our travels or parking. We usually find parking spots that allow us to back in and let our rear hangover end up over grass or occasionally take up two spots. The cargo box doesn’t change that. It is large and holds 16 cf of gear, but I wouldn’t call it huge. The one trade off is when you us your hitch the blind spot assist is disabled. That is the case no matter what you might put in your hitch receiver. The swing away feature allows you to open one rear door fully and the other short of 90 degrees. If we are setting up for a few days stay, we empty the cargo box then remove it. As an added bonus it can serve as a rain/bear box when turning in for the night when camping. But ultimately it is what works for you. Happy travels!
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
Try this,

A member of the Atlas Facebook group bought one of these and had it painted the identical color of the Atlas.

https://nicova.ca/en/product/

It will give you added storage and a bike rack
Old 01-07-2022, 03:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
on another note we found folding chairs that fit in the large side compartment. 2 of these will fit

https://www.kumaoutdoorgear.com/stor...-bear-chair-9/
Old 01-12-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still haven't decided. We will likely take an upcoming trip with only the bikes on the receiver bike rack and see how that works before trying something bigger.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:18 PM   #9
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
We also have a StowAway 2 Max. Holds a lot of stuff and very solid construction. Had it "Airstreamed up" so it would pass the design committee, aka DW. It's a nice option to have, but we take our e-bikes everywhere and it's one or the other, so at this point it stays in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	413397  
Old 03-27-2022, 04:29 PM   #10

Winchester , California
Atlas Storage

I installed the Yakima Exo system. It has many different configurations for storage,racks,shelfs,bikes,skies very user friendly...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atlas storage.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	413628  
Brian Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atlas View Post
I installed the Yakima Exo system. It has many different configurations for storage,racks,shelfs,bikes,skies very user friendly...

How do you like this configuration? What items do you store in the storage box? We have two Trek E-bikes - what bikes do you store on the top part?

Thanks!
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:08 PM   #12

Winchester , California
Sorry late reply

I have a Ranger Traeger wood pellet grill folding tables and area mats for outside the main door stowed inside the box. As far as the bikes go my wife and I have Specialized electric pedal Assist bikes kept on the rack above. They aren’t light but once mounted the unit together is very stable and very secure. The nice feature is the box swings out of the way to access the bikes very easily. Overall I am very pleased with the quality. Hope this helps.
Brian Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Yakima makes a pretty cool two-in-one setup called the Exo.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Sorry Brian, I have no idea how I missed your picture of your Exo setup.

Has anyone tried the swingbase Exo on the Interstate? Wondering if the rear door still opens when the swingbase is off to the side.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Sorry Brian, I have no idea how I missed your picture of your Exo setup.

Has anyone tried the swingbase Exo on the Interstate? Wondering if the rear door still opens when the swingbase is off to the side.
Hi Hawk.

No, the door will not open fully but just right up the the cargo bin. If you remove the cargo bin when at a location which is what we do as its easy to take off then the door will clear the middle post and will open fully with the the hitch base still in place. I just use a bungee cord to hold it open when I need to. When the bike rack second section is up, it’s the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	422641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	422642  

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	422643  
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for.

Do you still like having it for storage even so?

I’ll have to contemplate the purchase as that’s a bit of a bummer since I already have other options. Glad you can take the box off though to get the door fully open at least.

Still a neat concept and needed at times for the lack of space we have inside!

Many thanks for the pictures and info!!
Old 09-19-2022, 05:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post

Do you still like having it for storage even so?
Absolutely. Our two 300 Ah batteries and inverter took up a lot of real estate back there. We carry our grill, cords, mat etc. in the cargo bin.

We got it more importantly because we wanted a cargo carrier and a bike rack as well. When the bike rack is on, you can open the swing base out and then swing the bike rack 180 degrees and are able to open the cargo carrier. We even bought the table for the top section and have used it a few times when not traveling with the bike rack section.

It’s very flexible and I’m thinking of getting the snowboard section for it and somehow modifying it to be able to carry a kayak. That’s a project for for the winter though.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:51 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Saw the StowAway2 box on the back of an Atlas about a month ago. I didn't ask about it, but it appeared to work for them. Based on the web site, it appears they can customize it to accommodate things like doors on an Interstate. It is much smaller than the Exo setup.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Atlas Outside Storage

Thanks everyone for your responses. I ordered the Yakima EXO with the storage below and bike rack on top and installed it today. Only issue is the inside bikes handlebar is close enough to the coach that I know it will scratch it with the expected vibrations and shakes. Turning the handlebars sideways during travel is not a problem and will be my solution. My question for those who have the EXO system, did you experience the same thing. I don't see a way to slide everything out away from the coach even a little bit.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I ordered the Yakima EXO with the storage below and bike rack on top and installed it today. Only issue is the inside bikes handlebar is close enough to the coach that I know it will scratch it with the expected vibrations and shakes. Turning the handlebars sideways during travel is not a problem and will be my solution. My question for those who have the EXO system, did you experience the same thing. I don't see a way to slide everything out away from the coach even a little bit.
I'm so glad that you asked this question and I decided to take a look. It's the night before our trip with everything loaded up and the bikes on the rack and I just noticed that our license plates are blocked when I went to take the picture. It's almost 8pm East Coast time and now I have to do some work to move the plate to top rung on the stairs for a clear view.

You have about 4-5 inches of clearance but I have the ladder to block it and if you don't with some nice bounces on the road it will hit the back of your Atlas. Maybe consider putting in some type of fabric material on the handlebars of the bike.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	423265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	423266