Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Another Option for 2nd Propane Switch?

I have started the exploration into the second propane switch that so many have posted in the past. Based on one recommendation I have removed the passenger side jump seat and can see the wire bundle. Will work tomorrow with an amp meter to find the hot wire to the factory propane switch.

I was planning on pulling wires to the location over the galley where there are currently four switch (three lights and the water pump). There is a 4" space between two of the upper cabinets. I pulled the small wood cover between the two upper cabinets to take a look at access. In that area there are three wires with spade connectors not in use or connected - two gray, one white. That is in addition to all the other wires. I am guessing these wires are including in a production wire loom for some option that I do not have in my AI. Does anyone know what they are for? And does anyone know if those wires run down through the same bundle under the passenger jump seat? Did not have time tonight to continue digging.

If so, I plan on grabbing them for the second propane switch. And to simplify the project I will install the switch on that small block of wood that covers the area between the cabinets. Just need to open the upper cabinet to turn on propane.

Sorry, not sure why these pics are uploading sideways. Tilt head to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center cabinet wires.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	313655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center cabinet wood.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	313656  

Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I installed our second switch in the electrical panel locker. That is immediately above the outside switch, and thus easy to get to. More importantly, it is immediately above my side of the bed and the furnace controls. On cold mornings I reach up to turn on the LPG switch and then turn on the furnace. Then I lay back under the covers until things warm up. It is also near the generator start switch and the water heater switch. Only thing it is not near is the stove. So my location is near 3 of the 4 things that need propane!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The overhead panel is a perfect place for the propane switch.; Easy to wire.

When we plug in at an overnight stop, first thing I check is the power display to insure that we actually have power. The propane switch is about 6" away from the display and I turn it on at that time. The propane switch is on our check list to turn off when getting ready to leave.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

I bought a switch and for the life of me I can't remember where I put it away....

I have been trying to find the wires for that switch without success...

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The 2018 wires may be in a different place, but mine were below the curb-side rear cupholder. This area is immediately above the outside LPG box and the two wires (red I think) go through the floor at that point. I just cut into one of the wires (doesn't matter which one) and ran a wire up to the new switch and back down. If I recall, I just sacrificed an old lightweight extension cord.

I have gotten into the habit of turning the switch on just before using the LOG, and off immediately after use.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Western , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Stitchy View Post
I have started the exploration into the second propane switch ...

I was planning on pulling wires to the location over the galley where there are currently four switch (three lights and the water pump). There is a 4" space between two of the upper cabinets. I pulled the small wood cover between the two upper cabinets to take a look at access. In that area there are three wires with spade connectors not in use or connected - two gray, one white. That is in addition to all the other wires. I am guessing these wires are including in a production wire loom for some option that I do not have in my AI. Does anyone know what they are for? And does anyone know if those wires run down through the same bundle under the passenger jump seat? Did not have time tonight to continue digging.
This is where I placed my additional propane switch ( see Pic). One of the three wires is hot when the master switch is on. I connected to this one so as to turn the LED in my switch on when the switch is on. I do not know about where they are in the loom. As you can see from the pics I ran two wires behind the wall thru an overhead bin to the panel area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP switch 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	313676  
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Wiring Loom #

A previous post on the second LP switch installation gave the wiring loom number. Anyone remember it?
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
A previous post on the second LP switch installation gave the wiring loom number. Anyone remember it?
Memory says it is "6". Doesn't matter which of the two wires you switch.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Call Airstream tech support and found out the three loose wires in the upper cabinet are for an optional power switch for sat dish. The wires run aft to the cabinet where the coax is located.

I have decided to put the second switch on the jump seat right above the propane sensor. Will use a LED switch so it is easy to see from everywhere.
Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Maybe "68" ???
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
I choose to wire my switch inches away from the solenoid valve. The valve is on the drivers side attached to the LP tank and gives easy access to an existing through hole in the floor that is used for the fresh water intake and from there up behind the frig/freezer across to the control panel.
It required removal of the frig and freezer - 8 screws, and of course cutting out the rectangular opening in the control panel.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Newton , Massachusetts
I’m a new owner of a 2018 AI GT and working on adding the 2nd switch. Are the wires underneath the cup Holder? Just trying to sort out all the details so would appreciate any guidance specific to the 2018. What model switch did you use for the overhead? Thanks!
Hammy Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy Jr View Post
What model switch did you use for the overhead? Thanks!
I used a switch matching the other rocker switches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
I choose to wire my switch inches away from the solenoid valve. The valve is on the drivers side attached to the LP tank
JAYP - This is the excellent location to pickup solenoid
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
JAYP - This is the excellent location to pickup solenoid

Alex / JayP
Can you explain the advantage of having the switch inches from the selenoid?
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Alex / JayP
Can you explain the advantage of having the switch inches from the selenoid?
SCHMITTE - just convenience for me - for putting switch on R/S kitchen galley cabinet (I have Lounge model). If I had a GT, I probably put on the C/S
Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #17
Contributing Member

A reminder

Just a reminder that any added switch MUST be in series with the outside switch. Regulations state that the propane supplier MUST be able to deactivate the solenoid for safety. Filling propane with the solenoid activated will probably destroy the regulator.

There are multiple red wires in the bundle under the cup holder. Be careful you get the correct wires. Cut into either of the wires leading to the outside switch and insert the inside SPST switch there. Either switch off will deactivate the solenoid.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
SCHMITTE - just convenience for me - for putting switch on R/S kitchen galley cabinet (I have Lounge model). If I had a GT, I probably put on the C/S

Thanks. I have a GT and installed my switch just above the propane alarm on the CS. Super easy and very convenient Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	348908
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I too couldn't figure out how having a second switch inches from the solenoid was convenient. Down on the floor under the counters hardly seems convenient. I think he means that the 2nd switch's new wires tap into existing wiring near the solenoid, not that the switch itself is there. Tapping into the wiring under the cup holder was more convenient for me given where I wanted to put the second switch, but to each his own...
Old 08-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I think he means that the 2nd switch's new wires tap into existing wiring near the solenoid, not that the switch itself is there. .
TITUS - Yes, that was how I did mine with switch mounts on side of galley cabinet.