Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But waiting for the nag screen to remind you does no harm, and is easier all around, . . .
Unless you're a thousand miles from home w/o a funnel and can only find it in one gallon containers.

Whoever designed the fill tube should be water boarded. Even w/ a funnel, it's not easy. The Peak Blue DEF 2.5 gallon containers help w/ the fill tube they've incorporated for the container.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Unless you're a thousand miles from home w/o a funnel and can only find it in one gallon containers.
When the nag screen first pops up, you've got about 1.5 gallons left. You don't start getting the doomsday timer "XX starts remaining" until it's down to about 0.8 gallons left, which gives you a few hundred miles to find a source of DEF.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I think we are all dazed and confused when dealing with something about which we know little to nothing.

We still find ourselves experiencing that feeling on occasion, when a new issue arises, and will soon have owned our Interstate for 7 years.

And, it's okay.

There is no mind-meld here, and we don't have to know it all at one time.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #44
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Well put Maggie, :-)
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When the nag screen first pops up, you've got about 1.5 gallons left. You don't start getting the doomsday timer "XX starts remaining" until it's down to about 0.8 gallons left, which gives you a few hundred miles to find a source of DEF.
Not sure how the factory math is obtained. If the 4.9 gallons is good for about 10K miles, then one would have about 3K miles to go to empty after 1st warning. I got the first warning w/ about 500 miles left and shortly started to get the "XX starts remaining". Therefore I've elected to top off after about 6K-7K miles.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Here is a useful website link to help explain DEF--at least I thought it was interesting… FAQ Diesel Exhaust Fluid DEF consumption is apparently is related to vehicle operation, duty cycle, altitude, loads, etc.--essentially many variables… The amount consumed according to the link ranges from 1% to 3% of diesel gallons used. There was also other interesting info like what it does, handling, shelf life, freezing point…Hope this helps. Steve
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Great info, thanks.