Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #1

2004 16' International CCD
Scituate , Massachusetts
unattended pets

I have 2 small dogs who frequently travel with me. Many hotels don't allow pets to be left in the room unattended. I respect their concerns about potential damage and barking even though I know my "kids" can be trusted. What I don't understand is why many campgrounds have these restrictions. Why can't I leave my quiet pups in the air conditioned splendor of MY trailer for a few hours while I go out to eat or shop?
Jetset Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Beats Me. We Do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset Jenna
Why can't I leave my quiet pups in the air conditioned splendor of MY trailer for a few hours while I go out to eat or shop?
Our two Airstream dogs routinely stay in the trailer when we are out hiking or sightseeing. We limit our absences to two hours or less. Until I read your post, I thought the "no dog left behind" rule meant you couldn't leave them unattended outside your trailer.

Well, now that we've opened this can of dog food and confessed our confusion and wrongdoing, I'm sure we'll generate a good deal of clarification.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We've left our dogs in the trailer, but I know they are well behaved and don't bark unless someone gets too close to the trailer (like looking in a window). For the most part, I wouldn't worry about it, because if your dogs are good no one will even know they are there. The rule is so that they can throw out people who leave unruly dogs unattended, and annoy their neighbors.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Another possibility

On our way back from Salem, we stopped at a campground in LaPine, OR and they stated that you were not to leave the air conditioning running if you left the campground. If discovered, they would disconnect the power. Their reason, the cost of electricity. Pets in a closed trailer, hot weather and no air conditioning is not a good thing.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Have you ever wondered why our society is governed by so many rules? It is for all those who abuse society - thus a new rule everyday is imposed on those citizens who are normal law and courteous abiding people.

To those people to whom rules are legislated for in the first place - do we honestly think that they would abide by them We just keep imposing restriction after restriction on our selves until life itself will no longer be any fun!!!

If we citizens were more nervy and pinned notes to trailers or boats of those yappy critters (who lets face it - are just simply scared little fur babies waiting for their parents to come back) then maybe there would not be so many rules...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
On our way back from Salem, we stopped at a campground in LaPine, OR and they stated that you were not to leave the air conditioning running if you left the campground. If discovered, they would disconnect the power. Their reason, the cost of electricity. Pets in a closed trailer, hot weather and no air conditioning is not a good thing.

Bill

Wow!!! Whether it be me sitting in my trailer all day or my dog or a kid for that matter with the AC on - after I have paid my fee and they came and shut the power off - I'd be renting Lou's miniature Snauzzzzzzer to do a number on that camp ground owner.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I travel with my pardoner -Zap - a yellow Lab, golden mix and we have not had any troubles but we pick after, don't bark, and she keeps me undercontrol. It took me awhile to understand that some people just do not like dogs. So now we avoid those folks. If my dogs not welcome then we move on.

It also took me awhile to understand that there are some people out there who should not have a pet of any kind because they just are not willing to assume the responsibilities that come with owning a pet. they don't pick up or only do so if they think someone is watching - they leave their yappy little dogs unattended and then pretend thay didn't know. These are the folks that cause we good pet owners and our pets to suffer - sooo that why I have wheels under me. Happy trails to you
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Can't imagine any campground turning off the power. What if you left a teenager in there who was asleep or not feeling well. Seems like they should just raise their rates and let you use the power. I most generally leave my two dogs in the trailer when I'm shopping or out in the boat. It's too hot to take them. I honestly think they would be fine even if the AC went off for a while. These little Argosys with their cream roofs don't get that hot sitting under the trees. Don't get me wrong, it's hot, but not hot enough to kill a dog in a couple of hours. HOWEVER, it was 108 here in Oklahoma today. Not hardly worth leaving the house.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If it's really hot I don't take the dogs with us, at least not if we're going to be doing stuff they can't tag along. That's part of why I didn't go to international, I had the dogs with us at silver falls and didn't want to leave them alone, and it was too hot to take them with us (and who wants to go visting trailers with dogs tagging along).

Likewise they didn't go to Trout Lake with us because we knew we would be at the arts festival for several hours on Sunday.

So it depends on the trip, and where we're at, and what we're doing. I wish we could take them everywhere, but it's the heat ,more than them disturbing the peace, that worrys me.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
_

. , .
hi jetset jenna and welcome to the forums!

care and feeding of pets....
always an issue when traveling...
wise to carry a copy of vaccination records
vet info
and spare tags and collar....

bill......i would not stay at a campground that informed my up front that leaving ac on while gone is forbidden...how do they know i'm gone or when....way too many related issues, so thanks for the heads up bill on that place.

like many others jenna,
i've left my dog in the cool trailer, even where the 'rule' is noted...
usually i ask about it and they explain about leaving for days, dogs tied outside or inside but with doors open and so on...

if at all uncertain how that applies 2 me....
i just ask, "i'm going into town for groceries or fuel...can i leave my dog for a few hours?"
never been told "no"...

but usually if i'm driving and can, i take em anyway....

things can happen in the trailer....
-i've had circuits overload and turn off the ac,
-i had an a-c DIE last year while in a state park and i was out for a bike ride...and a brand new one too! luckily i returned before the temps started to rise inside...but still it was close...
-i came home once only to find someone trying to get 'inside' my trailer...while the break in would have been sad, having my dog hurt or loose in a strange state would have been a heartbreaker...
-what if you had a co2 leak or lp gas leak? again very unlikely but just consider all these possibilites...
-also left once for long bike ride...only to have a freak rainstorm hit the campground while i was gone....knocked out power and the 'rain sensor' feature closed my fantastic fans...so no ventilation...till i returned.

seems i read here someone who rigged up the fantastic fans to OPEN and come ON if the a/c stopped? that's pretty great thinking for the dogs....

one other thing about rv parks and dogs......usually the owners have a pooch or 2....so they are mostly concerned with 'problem' dogs... i make a point of taking my dog for a walk once the trailer is settled.....let the owner see my dog behaving well, on a leash, not barking...and so on. often they will want to come meet the pooch, again improving the bond between me/the dog and them...now when/if i ask about leaving him they are much much easier with this issue and other dog things....

so mostly i've found that 'no leave' issue in practice,
less problematic than the written form...

it helps to have a dog that is better behaved than i.....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I don't want to sound like a bad parent, so I must say that one of my hairy friends has seizures and must have meds twice a day. I have to take her or take her to the vet 35 miles away whenever we go to the lake. Of course her brother goes too. "Imma" and her brother "Paden" are Poms and get mighty upset if they know we are going trailering. Imma gets "too" upset for her health, so we always go as four. I will continue to take my chances with the A/C, since a little heat is the lesser of two evils with these kids. Of course, it's not always hot in Oklahoma, we have some very nice days in the Spring and Fall. Actually there is a cold front moving in tonight and it will only be in the low 90's this week-end. OH BOY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	23795  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I always pay by credit card to earn points. If I came back to find my power shut off...I'd simply call the credit card company when I left (earlier than expected I might add) and shut off the charge. Dog or no dog, if they don't deliver, neither would I!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Wow!!! Whether it be me sitting in my trailer all day or my dog or a kid for that matter with the AC on - after I have paid my fee and they came and shut the power off - I'd be renting Lou's miniature Snauzzzzzzer to do a number on that camp ground owner.
Yeah, I find this bizzare at least. Me thinks they need to go after the folks who run the air with the doors and windows open at the same time. This seems to be quite common.

We do leave our two in the trailer when we are gone. We always close up though and put on the air. That pretty much isolates them from outside sounds that would make them bark.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

Bill
Yeah, that is pretty bizarre, and I'd be pretty peeved, too.

We have a policy on it, too, but it's based not just on noise, but also on observation of a few poor canines left out in the heat, without water, food, or even consolation. (Ok, we provide the water and consolation, but when the owners return, we provide some unsolicited advice on how to be a responsible dog owner.)

Lynn
Old 07-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Why do camp grounds have the do not leave your dog unattended rule? Owner's do not know what their dogs do when they are left unattended in a strange place, their trailer. True, your dog may not bark when left unattended at home but they are accustomed to those surroundings. Your trailer is a different place for them, they are away from their normal surroundings and nervous. I was surprised at how many barking dogs I encountered during my month of camp hosting. These poor guys would howl from the time the owner's left to when they heard the car return. The owner's never knew and would swear their dog never barked. When I talked to them they would say it was the very first time the dog barked when left alone, I doubt it, they just never knew. My Springer never barks except when we leave him alone in Chummy. Most of the time fellow campers are close by in the camp grounds and the walls of of trailers and motor homes do not provide that much sound insulation. Three, four, or five hours of barking can be very annoying. Then think of poor Fido and the stress he's going through, his life is over, he thinks he has been left in this strange place. We leave our dog home with someone looking after him if there is some reason we would need to leave him unattended for any long period (hour or more) when we take him camping he is part of the planned activities and with us. We will even search for campgrounds that have dog runs and swimming areas so Cromwell can enjoy his outing as much as we do. However, if the camping is going to entail a long shopping trip or sight seeing which does not allow dogs he stays home where he will be happier than staying alone in Chummy.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I was living in my A/S down here in Florida, my dog was "unattended" for 9-10 hours a day. The campground I was in very pet friendly. In fact, the manager said he would rather have a campground full of dogs, then kids! I had an electric meter at my site, so I paid for what I used.

In 4 months she only went once in the trailer, while I was gone for 12 hours at a WBCCI rally.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
I have left Tony our Fox terrier unattended in the trailer with air conditioning many times- and yes he does bark for a short while when we first leave, but then quiets down- just like he does at home. BUT we had an annoying experience recently at Disney World where we were in a pet loop with other pet owners, but the people in the site next to us did not have a pet. AND they stayed at their campsite all day! (excuse me, but don't most people go to Disney to go to the parks or other activities?) Anyway, Tony did his usual initial barking routine when we first left, but we biked around the corner out of sight to see how long it lasted before we left. The "neighbors" then started going over to the trailer yelling at him to shut up and stood ther shaking their fists in anger. How they ended up in a pet loop and staying around the campground all day I'll never figure out. We ended up putting Tony in the Disney campground kennel during the days when we went into the parks, which worked out very well. They are very friendly and kind to the animals, so it's a good option if you need it. And each day he "earned" a cute good behavior certificate!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Not My Dog!

Well,

Our dogs never, ever bark when we are gone. At least that was the theory we chose to believe until we discovered that Be-Bop-A-RheeBop-Rhubarb-Pie-Ruby, our alpha-female Jack Russell Terrier and the instigator of all that is trouble with canines detected that we were out of HHHR (her human's hearing range).

She would then start a velociraptor's Howl From Hell that would put to shame Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles'. She would egg on Senator K. Thorvaldson, a whippet turned Cujo by Ruby's bat-like bite and he would bark and howl the ancient Druid keener's funeral lamentation. Then, the normally quiet and demure Maxwell Evarts Perkins, Dogger of Art & Literature enjoins with his older whippet soprano screeching and reverberative gratings. Glass begins to break, birds fall from the sky and the coating slides off the AS.

However, they have learned the technique of instant silence when they hear the particular sound of the diesel engine on the purple pickup (from about a half-mile away) and assume the posture of: "Why did you come home and wake us up?"

And, how can you not love them?

DJ
DJ Bassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #19
_

. , .
welcome dj bassett.......

funny very funny
and a clearer picture could not be painted....

ck's experience hosting should give everyone insight into how the perfect pets behave while left along...

everyone should drive around the corner and walk back....sit awhile and listen to the children in neighboring trailers go at it.....yap, yap yap....

not my prefect dog of course.....

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
We travel with our golden/lab mix and we leave her unattended for short periods. I made a business-card sized sign that I put in the window by the door that states: Dog inside. In case of emergency, contact owners at (cell phone numbers). We've never been called - thankfully, but just in case there is a problem we could be contacted. I also had an ID tag made for her collar with our cell phone numbers on it. We love our dog - that's why we bought her the trailer!!!

(I know it says K9s2go - but we're down to one........)
k9s2go is offline   Reply With Quote