Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Cool RVin' Kittys

Well, we just added a new member to our house, a 7mth old Persian named Lucy who I just plucked out of the pound. She's such a sweety! This is the first cat we've had that is fairly young, our last cat was already a grouchy old lady when we rescued her from the pound.

So I'm not familiar with much in the way of cat training. I'd sure like to teach Lucy to enjoy riding in cars and going on trips with us. Any tips on how to get started? She handled the ride home ok in her travel box, didn't seem too purturbed. I think she has real potential to be an Airstreamin' Cat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lucy.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	3491  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Congratulations on your new addition!

Yeah Steph! It is possible...Lily travels with us all the time. She actually seems to enjoy "her trailer". We started training her to travel by taking her out in the car alot...

I think when if you start when they are young they just adapt to new situations pretty easily. During the "off-season" Lily goes to work with us 2-3 days a week to keep her in the travel mode. I think she just thinks putting on her harness & leash is "normal". When we start packing for a trip she just hovers at the door waiting patiently.

The only thing that's been a bit difficult, is when we go away for a weekend or so when she can't go with us...she looks so sad sitting in the window as we drive off. But she's always very affecionate when we come home.

Good luck...keep us informed on how it works out for you ~

Shari

A camping cat?
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Litter box?

Hi Shari, and welcome Steph!

Our cat is named Lucy also. She's a long hair but is black and white. She's about 11 years old and only started trailer traveling with us last year. She's doing better at it.

As long as we're on the subject of cats again. I got to wondering where other cat owners keep the litter box. We have one with the cover that has a charcoal filter and handle and it's kept in the shower pan. But, we all know that litter gets tracked out and sometimes I feel like I'm sharing the litter box with Lucy instead of Lucy sharing the shower with us. Any alternatives, suggestions?

Forrest
Old 10-15-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Question Where do you put the box?

We're getting real close to bringing our two gatos along for some trailering and I'm wondering where's the best litter box location? Also, when driving does your cat sit up front with you? Free, tethered or caged?

Thanks,
Ken

Fractal & Nina
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:41 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Litter box location

We travel with 2 cats and that is one of the prime reasons I upgraded from a 8' wide 22' to a wide-body 25' so that the litter box could go in the shower rather than in the aisle. The spillproof water dish will go on the seat in the shower. We put small feed dishes down just during feeding time.

The young cat has travelled with me (now us) since she was a couple of months old. I have her leash strapped to the child seat anchor in the extended cab with a carabiner. She sleeps on the console most of the time. If I disconnect her, she rides on my left shoulder facing back most of the time.

The old cat is diabetic and gets insulin shots twice a day. He also eats a special diabetic diet. He is free to go anywhere except under my feet or on the dash. At rest stops, we carry them to the trailer and they quickly learned that it is the time to use the box and eat or drink.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I guess where to put the litter box varies on the size & layout of your trailer.

We got one of those small kitten-sized litter boxes...it's only about 10"x15" or so (I've never measured it, but it's about 1/2-3/4 size of a normal one) and we keep it in the shower. We move it to the aisle when we use the shower, then put it back. Tracking litter is a bit of a problem...but that's why we don't have carpet...it's easy to sweep it up & out the door.

Lily likes to travel "free" she sleeps on the console or in my lap when on the road.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lily2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	3494  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Glad to see other people traveling with pets, I had a pup that traveled with me for almost 12 years! We now have two tortise shells, that allow us to live with them as long as we keep the litterbox clean and the food bowls full We should be bringing home a "new" 1975 31' Sovereign in the next couple of weeks, I am sure the "girls" (Ginger and Missy) will be supervising the general cleaning and repair. If they do a good job they will be allowed to go on at least a couple of trips with us. I mean you do have to get away from the kids aleast once in a while

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
cats

Stewball is our flame point Himmy. He travels very well with us. He just stays on the console with his nose to the air conditioning until he gets cold, then he turns around. We keep his food and litter in the back of the Burb, and we move him and and his stuff to the trailer when we camp. He's one of those "pretty boys" with long fur between his toes and who's feet never touch the ground.

Other than being a "pretty boy", Stewball is a great travel companion.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:08 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How fun to hear about all the other travelling kittys Lucy has already settled right into our house, after only two days! I think she must be pretty easy going about new situations. Friday is her well-kitty checkup with the vet, then we'll see about taking her for rides and getting used to the car. The hardest thing so far has been not giving her too much attention and making the pooches jealous. They'll go nuts if they see her going for a ride without them!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Cat litter problems

I pretty much solved this by installing a 12v cigarette lighter-type plug close to the litter box location. I keep a little 12v car vacuum plugged in and it takes only a second to sweep the area.

In my new Classic 25, I will install a 12v socket under the bathroom sink and keep the little vacuum right there.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-16-2003, 02:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Tracking the clay litter is a problem for us too, especially where it may scratch the hardwood flooring. We just bought a bag of "Feline Pine" to try. I hear good things about it.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

We use one of those large litter tracking mats,it seems to reduce it quite a bit . As far as pine based litter, my cat would never.............. she has a bad enough time when i switch brands . Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:09 PM   #13
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Tracking litter is a bit of a problem...but that's why we don't have carpet...it's easy to sweep it up & out the door. Shari
I don't know how you store stuff...but if you have the room for a large bag of litter...
have you tried the "NO TRACKING/CLUMPING" litter. I don't buy my litter at the big stores (Target, K-Mart, etc.)...I get it from specialty pet shops; I find the cost ends up less because the claims are more true.

Anyway, if you can, try it out...I think you'll be pleased at how little comes out with the cat's feet. I had a ragdoll and her paws were LOADED with crevices and fur...and a small scatter rug right outside the bathroom seemed to collect all she tracked with her.

I'm getting a new kitty as soon as Bear is finished....and I'm getting pretty jazzed about it.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #14
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
by the way, my ragdoll was very very finicky about what litter I put down for her. The 'no tracking' stuff I got, was very soft sand...and didn't hurt her precious little footsies at all. Her previous owner had declawed her (OMG!)..and that made her little paws even more sensitive (don't ask why...it just did).
Old 10-03-2004, 07:16 AM   #15
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
I don't know how you store stuff...but if you have the room for a large bag of litter...
have you tried the "NO TRACKING/CLUMPING" litter. I don't buy my litter at the big stores (Target, K-Mart, etc.)...I get it from specialty pet shops; I find the cost ends up less because the claims are more true.
I travel with two cats and I carry litter in two places.

Part of it is in three big metal coffee cans with plastic slip-on tops. These cans, I place in the back of the cabinet in the bathroom, behind the little vertical wall with a strip of foam under them.. The cans ride on all of the piping back there and the foam prevents them from wearing into the piping. The rest of that space over the pipes stores spare toilet paper rolls. That space would otherwise be wasted.

In addition, in the wardrobe, I carry two squarish plastic jugs of about 2-quart capacity each, along with two similar plastic jugs of cat food.

With careful scooping, this amount of litter carried us through a 28-day trip with 2 cats.

I use clumping litter that comes in the big square plastic buckets. I have a litter catcher pad under the litter box, cut down to fit the shower. I just shake that out into the litter box. There is very little tracking elsewhere, and what little there is, I collect with a wet paper towel before showering. The plastic buckets are recycled at the Wildflower Center where they are used in the gardens until they finally fall apart.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Change of litter

I found it almost impossible to not get at least a few grains of litter down the drains, so I changed to a wheat-based litter which is biodegradable (but expensive!). I tested some by shaking a few grains in a jar of water. If any gets into the holding tank, the sloshing when underway will simply liquify it.

The cats accepted it without complaint and it is fairly low tracking.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Cat hygiene

Instructions on how to wash your new Thetford or Sealand toilet:

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo and 1/2 gallon water to the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your trailer or motorhome. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely,
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:52 PM   #18

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Priceless!
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Our two four-legged travelers

Here are our two little travelers - Laurel - a 13 year old, retired grand champion chocolate point Siamese, and Delmar an 11-month old pain in the... just kidding! Actually he couldn't have been a more delightful addition to the family. We adopted him last winter - he'd been rescued at three months from - of all things - the Burger King parking lot in San Marcos, Texas. He remains pretty uncertain of strangers, but once he gets to know you, he OWNS you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGEa.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	12298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGEb.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	12299  

Name:	IMAGEc.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	12300  

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
We got our trailer about the same time as adopting our kitties. We'd hoped we could take them out, but it's really not worked out that way. The cats are terrified of anything outside of the rooms they live in--unlike past cats we've had, they won't go down to the basement or step a paw outside the house.

Our hope is that once finished with the trailer, we'll try to take them with us on a couple of weekend trips where we'll spend lots of time with them. Then maybe they'll settle in. The big issue is whether they should travel up front with us or in the trailer. I've heard arguments for both.

Mary