Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Introducing the cat to the AS

Hi all,

This is the year our 12 year old cat learns to camp. In previous years, we had another cat (who we just lost this winter) who had some special needs and would have likely destroyed the AS - so we hired some folks to check in on the two, feed them, etc. But now, with only the one relatively easy cat, we know he'd be happiest with us even if there is an adjustment period. So, with that in mind...

What recommendations do you have to help introduce a cat to the camping life? I know being in a crate and driving around with us will be the first order of business - but beyond the obvious - what worked for you?

Thanks!
Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
My old cat is 14 we have always had someone come in to feed him when we are gone.

Maybe we could drop him off at your house while we are away. You do the same when you are in Oregon.

Seriously do not know where to start.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Well, first thing I think is find spot for litter box and if your trailer is at your home, take cat out to trailer while it is in the driveway.

As kitty gets used to this, also do the drive around in tow vehicle. Put both together and you can go camping....
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"I know being in a crate and driving around with us will be the first order of business"

I agree with Al U. Minium: introduce the cat to the trailer while it's parked. Let him explore, find safe hidey-holes, and get used to the new smells. Bring in a favorite blanket or cushion, so there will be something comfortingly familiar. And of course provide food and water and a litter pan.

Bring a favorite toy. He probably won't play with it at first, but when he does, you'll know that he's feeling comfortable with the new arrangements. While he's exploring, you can sit inside the trailer and read or browse the web, so there'll be a familiar human present for reassurance.

Start with an hour's visit, then work up to longer periods over a week or two.

As for crate travel... here's what I do, for what it's worth. I have a folding soft crate that I keep in the rear seat area of my pickup. It's large enough to hold food and water dishes and a small litter pan. But my cat doesn't like being cooped up that way, and complains about it. So normally I let her ride in the trailer. She has a cushioned nest under the bed where she stays while I'm underway, and only she comes out after I've been parked for a while. The only time I put her in the crate is in hot weather, when the trailer gets hot while underway, with no open vents or windows and no air conditioning. Then she rides in the crate, where the truck's air conditioner keeps her from overheating.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,
I have the same question/issue. We have a younger cat that is more independent than most. She is friendly to us, but not too many other people... she does not like to be picked up at all and if one picks her up you might need leather elbow length gloves! With that said, she can ride in the car okay to the vet, once we get her there. We want to take her camping and she has often taken naps in the trailer when it is parked at home, my concern is she will do anything to get outside. We are going to try a leash, but she is a handful and so far can wiggle out of just about anything. Has anyone been successful with a super independent kitty? Any tricks are welcomed!
Thanks!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Our cat feels extremely comfortable in the Airstream, and has adjusted well to a highly mobile trailer. However, he loves the outdoors and is always begging for us to open the door. For his protection, our solution is to use an outdoor pet playpen available from Amazon. Its highly rated and our cat just loves being oudoors...and all the while he is fully protected. Takes just 2 mins to setup.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_151908.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	338534
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote