Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Escaped Cat

Hiya,
We went to our first rally at the Top of Georgia this week. I had a great time. The people there really made an effort to include Tom and I in all the activities. Tom left Friday morning so i was on my own last night.
I went down to the clubhouse to play cards. My siamese cat, Bucky decided it was time to make the great escape. I walk this fellow with a harness and the only place he liked going was across the bridge to the other side of the creek.

He took his little kitty paw and slid the small plastic window in the screen door opened and took off. When i got back from the game (3 hours later) he was gone and the window was opened. I ran across the creek and called him and he came. Needless to say how scared i felt.

To avert distaster in the future does anyone have any ideas how i can secure that little window so he can't slide it open. It needs to be something i can do as Tom will be gone maybe two weeks. And Yes i know i could keep the big door closed, or use duct tape to keep it secure.

Any ideas welcomes. I go back up there on monday.

Thanks
Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Is your cat strong enough to open it if you use velcro?
Old 03-27-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Edie,
He weighs 20 lbs. he is huge and quite strong. The velcro doesn't connect very well. I left shortly after I attached it, so I haven't seen him attempt to open it.
Until I am sure it will work I need some other ideas.
Like I said I will be returning there for an extended period on monday. I would like to know he is secure.

The Betsy part of Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

Old 03-27-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Escaped!

Sounds like it's time for that trip to the vet. Poor thing. You'd better take him before Tom gets back. Men are queasy about having things like that 'done'.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I read somewhere that cats don't recognize new surroundings and if they wander off they might not remember how to get back.
It's related to the cat behavior of patrolling their territory...your house for instance....They don't have pack mentality and must rely on themselves to (check the house everyday) so if you move furniture for instance, *that* is new to Tom.
I learned that lesson after I lost Spike (a neutered & pampered male) at Donner Summit...he was having some lunch--saw a small weasel and ran the other way...and that was that. I used every trick I knew but after 9 hours I wrote it up as a life lesson. You never forget.
This is a dearly held opinion: You'll always be taking a chance when Tom is off his leash in new surroundings.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Talking Lol!

Quote:
I read somewhere that cats don't recognize new surroundings and if they wander off they might not remember how to get back....You'll always be taking a chance when Tom is off his leash in new surroundings.
Tom is Betsy's husband...Bucky is the cat

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

never mind....
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Betsy,

You could drill a small hole in the metal between the upper and lower section of the screen that is slightly behind the closed position of the slider. Once the slider is closed then insert a thumbscrew that will be a back stop for the slider. You will be able to get to the thumbscrew, but he will not be able to get the slider past the threaded part that sticks out. It does not need to be long, just long enough to stop him from sliding the door.

Another option, that will take more searching, would be to find a spring latch that pops into a hole. Drill a hole thought the track where the slider runs so once it is closed it stays that way until you push the spring latch out of the way.

Some of this type of stuff can be found in the baby proofing section of the Hardware store.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: LOL!

Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
Tom is Becky's husband...Bucky is the cat

Shari
It is the same thing...
Seriously, how about a small bungee cord to hold the panel closed?
Terry
Old 03-27-2004, 06:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Gregg,
That is ok , tom gets confused if I move furniture around. But i don't think he will let me take him to the vet to have done what you have suggested.

On the other hand bucky has been to the vet. Since he follows me everywhere at home and in the trailer I suppose he was trying to locate me. He is a very spoiled and pampered fur-baby.

I am printing out your suggestions and hopefully I can get something that works. If all else fails. Duct tape will work. After all it does hold the world together.

If anyone else has suggestions -- please post.

Betsy & Tom & Bucky the cat
Attached Images

WBCCI #6978

Old 03-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
No further suggestions, I just wanted to say I was glad Bucky came when you called him. Losing a pet on a trip is my worst fear! He's looks like a real sweetie. Hope he doesn't figure out how to circumvent your pet-proofing efforts

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Please Becky, don't send Tom to the vet!

I was suggesting doing it while Tom is away, because most men don't like to consider what the poor animals have to go through in the interest of population control. I'm glad to hear that Bucky is 'fixed' although I personally cringe when I think about it.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Mark
It certainly is not a pleasant thing, I can understand the men not being happy at the idea. But believe me that pets, both males and females are so much better off being "fixed" . Bucky is a pure applehead siamese and to keep what is a rapidly disappearing breed pure they "fix" them at a very early age. I think bucky was like 7 weeks old. His life is good and he has no bad habits like spraying.

I am just very thankful he returned. One of the main reasons we got the airstream was so we could take him with us. So once this door issue is resolved. The fun can begin again

Betsy

..... who's becky??
WBCCI #6978

Old 03-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon
Mark

..... who's becky??
Betsy,
Sorry, I thing I dislike about these replies is that you don't see the original message, so I have to rely on my somewhat faulty memory.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If you're going to leave the outer door open, have some way that small children can't open the screen door to "pet the kitty." They may be too young to read any sign you put on there, but they can sure figure out screen door latches. We've come close to having that happen in our driveway when we let the cats out in the trailer.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #16
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Lightbulb

Needle and thread could sew a screen patch or cloth over the sliding door.
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I returned to the top of georgia campground this week. And am happy to say the velcro idea worked. He tried and tried to get it open but was not successful.
I forgot to take any of his cat toys and he had to resort to playing with a sweet potato.
We went on a few walks across the creek. Mostly the weather was miserable cold, wet and windy.
We're going back on wednesday --- I hope the weather has improved.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

Old 04-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I forgot to take any of his cat toys and he had to resort to playing with a sweet potato.
Sweet potato? I don't think I would have thought of that for a cat toy. Hmm...
Old 04-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
After bringing back a dog from Costa Rica...

.... and then having to gradually find out what height fence she CAN'T scale... i can say that having the locator "chip" implated brings a lot of peace of mind. It's the size of a grain of rice, is implanted by the shoulder with a big hypodermic, and cost only 20 bucks or so. All shelters & most police stations have scanners that link you, your pet & a national registry.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We feel your anxiety. We just returned from a week with our Siamese, Mistletoe, in our A/S. The first time in her life (11+ yrs) she's been out of the house. She is just getting back to her 'old' habits...may not do that again .
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote