Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2023, 04:23 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
Chicken or Egg

We have been towing a 2023 International 23FB Twin with our 2020 F150 2.7 RWD for over 7,000 miles without any issues, even through the mountains. While the little 2.7 liter engine is extremely powerful for its displacement, it consumes fuel like a much larger engine when you tax it.

We owned the truck before we even thought of buying a travel trailer, so the size of our truck played a significant role in determining the size of our trailer. Had we known a trailer was in our future we might have purchased a truck with more suitable options.

We are currently looking to swap our RWD F150 for a 4WD F150 with the max tow package, a large fuel tank, towing mirrors and LED headlamps, but the new truck market is insane at the moment. Pricing a loaded F150 is approaching Super Duty territory.

If we did opt to upgrade to a Super Duty truck it would position us to move up to a larger trailer in the future.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW View Post
I’m completely lost in all this weight, trailer gross weight and payload info, sigh. Would some of you very knowledgeable people be able to tell me if I can safely drive around in a 2021 Mercedes gls with the cloud FB 23’ AS? I just cannot figure it all out… so many things to consider. It’s only me and 3 cats.
For every person that says it's OK, there's another that says that you need a bigger/different truck.

Unfortunately, you should understand this (as well as many other "technical" things when towing and using a AS) so that you are comfortable with your decision. Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on what some anonymous person told me on a forum when risking nearly $200,000 in personal property.

eTrailer provides an excellent write up on the limits of trailer towing and how to determine if you've met all the various limits and what goes into each.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-muc...an-I-tow.aspx?

Also, reach out to Andy T. @ CanAm RV in Ontario, Canada. He specializes in setting up tow vehicles.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I second seeking Andy's advice above. He's a professional who actually properly sets up tow vehicle / trailer combinations in his large RV shop.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:00 AM   #84
CDW

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
For every person that says it's OK, there's another that says that you need a bigger/different truck.

Unfortunately, you should understand this (as well as many other "technical" things when towing and using a AS) so that you are comfortable with your decision. Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on what some anonymous person told me on a forum when risking nearly $200,000 in personal property.

eTrailer provides an excellent write up on the limits of trailer towing and how to determine if you've met all the various limits and what goes into each.

Also, reach out to Andy T. @ CanAm RV in Ontario, Canada. He specializes in setting up tow vehicles.
Excellent! That webpage explains things were I can follow them, this I can do! Getting car manual and calculator out. And no, it’s not looking great…
CDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:03 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW View Post
Excellent! That webpage explains things were I can follow them, this I can do! Getting car manual and calculator out. And no, it’s not looking great…
Here is a easy to use towing planner

http://towingplanner.com

I normally use the 15% for TT to give me some margin.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:58 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scho7623 View Post
Hi folks, I’m about to purchase the 2023 Flying Cloud 23FB, and I am now looking for the tow vehicle. What do I need to look for when finding the perfect tow vehicle? What would be your tow vehicle if you were to tow a 23’ AS?
We tow a 2023 International 23FB Twin with a 2020 F150 CrewCab 2.7 RWD primarily because we had the truck before knew an Airstream was in our future. This truck has worked very well for us for over 7,000 miles of Airstream travels.

However, you should consider the possibility that a larger trailer might be in your not too distant future. Having a more capable tow vehicle now, that meets both your present and future needs, is worth considering.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:05 PM   #87
CDW

Houston , Texas
I went ahead and asked the Can-Am RV center in Ontario if my Mercedes GLS 450 4matic 2021 would be able to tow a Flying Cloud 23' or if I should be looking for a smaller AS. here is the reply: (I also asked about a generator...)
------
Hi Christel

Thanks for writing. With the proper equipment, your Mercedes will do an excellent job safely and comfortably towing any Airstream model. A 30 footer if you choose. It wouldn't break a sweat towing a 23.

The receiver will need to be reinforced. Then we would set the combination up with an Eaz-Lift Elite weight distributing kit with friction sway controls. We would install a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 electronic brake controller. There is a wireless option available, the Prodigy RF model.

Think carefully about the generator. Their use is not allowed in all parks. In more than 3 decades of RVing I've never found the use for one but many others do. There are smaller models that an old guy like me can lift, or can be mounted on the A-frame behind the LP tanks.

Regards,
Philip Tipler
Can-Am Towing
London, Ontario
CDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Hi folks, I’m about to purchase the 2023 Flying Cloud 23FB, and I am now looking for the tow vehicle. What do I need to look for when finding the perfect tow vehicle? What would be your tow vehicle if you were to tow a 23’ AS?
A good rule of thumb for towing a travel trailer is that your tow vehicle should weigh more than your trailer. This will give you maximum safety and you will be able to keep up with the semis on the interstate.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:55 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
A good rule of thumb for towing a travel trailer is that your tow vehicle should weigh more than your trailer. This will give you maximum safety and you will be able to keep up with the semis on the interstate.

Not really, and I'd venture a guess that MOST tow combinations don't use this "rule." A Ford F250 is listed as weighing under 7k lbs, which can be considerably less than the trailers it tows and still quite safe. In fact, I wouldn't even jump up to a 3/4 ton until I was towing over 8k regularly.

It's how the weight is carried (high or low COG), suspension type, brakes, cooling, and to some degree, wheelbase. The OP will enjoy his Merc as a tow vehicle.

edit: sorry, I noticed this was your first post! Welcome to the forum! You picked a great topic for your first post. lol You'll find LOTS of opinions on the subject.

Welcome!
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:58 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we asked andy if our Q5 3l was fine for our FC25FB. he stated no issues.
he also undated our hitch so that is was more stable .

we have no issues pulling our As with a Q5 SUV
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:26 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post

Not really, and I'd venture a guess that MOST tow combinations don't use this "rule." A Ford F250 is listed as weighing under 7k lbs, which can be considerably less than the trailers it tows and still quite safe. In fact, I wouldn't even jump up to a 3/4 ton until I was towing over 8k regularly.

It's how the weight is carried (high or low COG), suspension type, brakes, cooling, and to some degree, wheelbase. The OP will enjoy his Merc as a tow vehicle.

edit: sorry, I noticed this was your first post! Welcome to the forum! You picked a great topic for your first post. lol You'll find LOTS of opinions on the subject.

Welcome!
I agree a Mercedes GLS can tow a FC 23 nicely. The GLS is around 5500 lbs, a bit shy of my rule of thumb, but it's a pretty rock solid vehicle.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:03 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
A F450 DRW weights in around 9K so what you recommend towing a Classic 33 with since it's GVWR is 10K?
and
Old 02-05-2023, 06:26 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
I do think it is a “good rule of thumb” and coincidently it’s the “law” in Western Europe. I don’t know what rules apply to this issue here in the US (a state issue perhaps) and I guess we are free to do as we wish (within reason I suspect). We are just too happy towing the 23’ International Serenity with a 3/4 ton 6.7L turbo diesel. It’s mostly about preferences , feelings and of course cost. As a concession I’d agree that with all the right weight distribution and sway control devices a solid SUV would do the job but for us not as good as a big truck.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:46 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
A F450 DRW weights in around 9K so what you recommend towing a Classic 33 with since it's GVWR is 10K?
You can probably do OK if you get the 8' bed with the longer wheelbase, but frankly you're getting to the limit of travel trailer safety at 33'. Anything longer than 30' I'd probably be looking at a 5th wheel instead. Not to say you can't tow a 33, but you can't tow it very fast and still be safe, IMO.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:39 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
You can probably do OK if you get the 8' bed with the longer wheelbase, but frankly you're getting to the limit of travel trailer safety at 33'. Anything longer than 30' I'd probably be looking at a 5th wheel instead. Not to say you can't tow a 33, but you can't tow it very fast and still be safe, IMO.
I have not seen many people with 30 and 33 foot Airstreams going by that rule that would require a F350/F450 Dual Rear Wheel truck as a tow vehicle. The F450 is rated for 24,500 pound trailer and 37,000 pound gooseneck that a would be required to tow an 8800(30 foot) or 10,000(33 foot) pound Airstream.

I towed my 33 foot Classic with 2500 Ram gas with 3100 pounds of payload and did just fine - would a DRW pull it better - sure - but not required for safety.
and
Old 02-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #96
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Geuss View Post
I do think it is a “good rule of thumb” and coincidently it’s the “law” in Western Europe. I don’t know what rules apply to this issue here in the US (a state issue perhaps) and I guess we are free to do as we wish (within reason I suspect). We are just too happy towing the 23’ International Serenity with a 3/4 ton 6.7L turbo diesel. It’s mostly about preferences , feelings and of course cost. As a concession I’d agree that with all the right weight distribution and sway control devices a solid SUV would do the job but for us not as good as a big truck.
When we lived in the UK the guidance was 85% of tow vehicle weight but the laws now reference 3500 kg, which is 7700 lbs, before a special licence is required. It is important to realize that the tow vehicle weight requirement was grounded in the use of surge brakes, where the slowing of the tow vehicle activates the trailer brakes. It isn’t relevant when using electric trailer brakes.

Just another folklore myth.

In North America the laws regarding maximum trailer weight are part of the commercial transport laws, not generally applicable to private use.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:19 AM   #97
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:

A personal choice; we upgraded our Tahoe 5.3L to 6.2L 10 speed. Has worked out just great for the two of us with a lot of summer/mountain driving.Click image for larger version

Name:	20A34A82-C8F5-4548-83B2-49814C4151F8.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	427940
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:01 PM   #98
Airstringers

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
Tundra to F250

Been pulling my Bambi with 5.7 Tundra. Great everywhere but downhill in the mountains.
Just bought a ‘23 23 foot Flying Cloud. Now seriously considering a Ford F250. Not for pulling power but for payload. I’m maxing out the Tundra which only has 1250#. Deduct 300# passengers and 500# tongue weight… only 500# left. Sounds like a lot?
Guitars, mandolin, hitch, compressor, table, chairs, tools, jack, boards, other misc… I eat that up real fast.
(Not sure if I count 260 # of fuel)

I’m looking for anxiety-free towing.
Bellah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:40 AM   #99
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah View Post
Been pulling my Bambi with 5.7 Tundra. Great everywhere but downhill in the mountains.
Just bought a ‘23 23 foot Flying Cloud. Now seriously considering a Ford F250. Not for pulling power but for payload. I’m maxing out the Tundra which only has 1250#. Deduct 300# passengers and 500# tongue weight… only 500# left. Sounds like a lot?
Guitars, mandolin, hitch, compressor, table, chairs, tools, jack, boards, other misc… I eat that up real fast.
(Not sure if I count 260 # of fuel)

I’m looking for anxiety-free towing.
I beefed up my Tundra with a Roadmaster Active Suspension, heavier tires, and new shocks. I pull a 25FB with it, and have completely anxiety free towing. Use 2nd gear on steep descents.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:48 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post

That link for eTrailer has some good information. I liked their discussion and guidance on wheelbase. In all my years of towing with different rigs, I have found that wheelbase and distance from rear axle centerline to ball make a noticeable difference in towing stability.