Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2022, 12:56 PM   #1

2020 27' Globetrotter
Port Orchard , WA
SUV and 27 ft Airstream

I am contemplating getting a 27 ft Globetrotter and would like to tow with an Expedition or Sequioa, but the hitch weight of 875 surely exceeds the 700 hitch weight of the two SUVs. Is this a dangerous towing situation? I know a lot of you are towing with this setup.
TomKriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKriek View Post
I am contemplating getting a 27 ft Globetrotter and would like to tow with an Expedition or Sequioa, but the hitch weight of 875 surely exceeds the 700 hitch weight of the two SUVs. Is this a dangerous towing situation? I know a lot of you are towing with this setup.
Are you talking hitch weight without a weight distribution hitch? There is a hitch weight with and without a Weight Distribution Hitch in my manual.

The rule of thumb is that if your towing capacity is say 9,000 lbs your hitch weight with a WDH should be 900 lbs (10%). That’s how they figured my F150. I configured my hitch weight with WDH at 1230 lbs. This gave me a towing capacity of 12,300 lbs.

I think you will find on this forum…that this will open up the entire conversation on the proper tow vehicle which will lead to an endless discussion on what kind of tow vehicle you should have for a 27’ Globetrotter. Some will say the set up is doable. Others will say you will be a danger to yourself etc.

Then you will get into the endless discussion about payload, etc.

My suggestion is that you talk to someone that has experience on setting up this type of vehicle to tow. I suggest you PM Andy Thomson at Can-Am RV. I asked him about using an Expedition at one point and he said it was doable. I have a 28’. Good luck on getting a straight answer.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Remember, the 875# is the published weight for an empty trailer. Once loaded for camping the tongue will be around 1000# or more.

There are some that say the published hitch weight is just listed as 10% of the tow capacity and is capable of more while there are others that take the number as the max.

As to whether it's a good idea to exceed the specifications, that is up to you. I wouldn't want to be the one that told you it was OK and then you have an issue in the future.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
P.S. You might also want to look at the Jeep Wagoneer. I’ve heard some pretty positive things about their abilities.

Also you will find that you may be able to order the right set up if you can’t find it on the lot. But you will need to find a knowledgable sales person. Most are not.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
P.S. You might also want to look at the Jeep Wagoneer. I’ve heard some pretty positive things about their abilities.
While the Wagoneer can tow 10,000#, the problem with the Wagoneers is the payload. Almost all are in the 1300# - 1500# range with some as low as 1200#. These numbers are barely enough for passengers in the 7 or 8 seats and a little luggage. The are definitely not designed for a trailer with 1000# tongue weight and anything more than a driver and a passenger in the vehicle.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
Quote:
You may want to take a look at the Durango R/T Tow N Go or Durango SRT. The Tow N Go does a great job towing my FC 25 FB and would handle a 27 FB without any problem if properly set up. The max tongue weight is 870 lbs and it can tow up to 8700 lbs. Its various features make it an awesome tow vehicle. However, it is a mid-size SUV and not as spacious as an Expedition or Sequoia.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
2018 Expedition & 27' TB

We initially had a 2018 Expedition to tow our 27' Tommy Bahama using an Equal-I-Zer hitch. With only the wife and two dogs inside the truck and everything else in the trailer, the rear axle was always at least 500 lbs. overloaded. It also seemed that the trailer was pushing the truck sideways after making sharp turns. The truck seemed to have enough power and braking reserve but it did take some getting used to the 5000 rpm of the engine when going down significant grades. The current GMC 2500HD feels more secure and it has a larger carrying capacity.

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:17 AM   #8

2020 27' Globetrotter
Port Orchard , WA
Thank you for your comments. Now if I dig deep enough, I will find tongue weight, with a WD hitch, to be about 10% of towing weight, so it is close.
TomKriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:23 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Thank you for your comments. Now if I dig deep enough, I will find tongue weight, with a WD hitch, to be about 10% of towing weight, so it is close.
It may be best to aim for 15%

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-01-2023, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I'd suggest stepping up to the next size SUV. If even the book weight is too high then certainly the actual weight will be way too high. There's no point ruining the otherwise good towing experience of an Airstream having to white knuckle in an undersized tow vehicle.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I towed my 2013 27FB with a 4WD 2003 Ford Expedition for many years. I recall its rated tongue weight was about 950 lbs, and tow rating around 9500 lbs, and payload 1,600 lbs. The big negative was its relatively thirsty and gutless V8 engine.

I'd be surprised that 20 years later Fords Expedition isn't even more capable with the right trim package.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
The weak link with any of the late model SUVs will be payload and gross rear axle weight. I tow a GT 25FBT with a 2018 Suburban. With 2 adults, 2 toddlers and very minimal stuff in the back of the burb, plus the tongue weight of the GT, I am maxed out on both payload and rear axle weight. That’s with a ProPride WD hitch. I plan to go to a 3/4 ton pickup. The new SUVs are just not as beefy as the old 3/4 ton Suburbans and Excursions.
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
I tow a 27’ GT, and did extensive research on all the SUVs on the market to see if any of them could tow it. A few of them technically could (Nissan Armada looked the best, btw), but *barely*

25,000 towing miles later, I’m very glad I didn’t try to push that limit and got a HD pickup instead.

Flaws in the original analysis: I underestimated how much stuff we would carry (we do looong trips and I don’t like missing things), and we sometimes find ourselves towing with full tanks for unexpected logistical reasons (dump station we expected to use was locked, for example), and that’s a lot of weight.

Instead of sweating weight, I just throw the tool chest, 3 e-bikes, 2 kayaks, generator, Starlink, grills, etc, in the truck and go.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Can you best case get it to work by some definition? Sure you can.

One definition, by the published numbers: That sounds great and we're done right? Well, just what do the published numbers mean? You can head off to YouTube and watch a bunch of videos. Different manufacturers seem to have "interesting" ideas. The most basic is the "official" SAE testing. That runs you over a stated course at 45 mph and nothing should break. You then boost the number to a "sea level equivalent" and have a number to give marketing. The number rolling through the hills on the same course might be 20% less than that number.

Another definition, whatever some random guy named Bob liked when he last was out: One might ask just where Bob was driving, how much was in the trailer, how fast he was going, how much he likes white knuckle driving, how often he did this or that, how truthful he's being .....

Yet a third definition, whatever a pro will sign up for after he's hot rodded the rig: There are folks out there that do this sort of stuff. There's tricks here and there. They aren't stuck to one formula, each lash up gets a custom treatment. How much can you trust this or that specific individual? ( probably a lot more than some random dude named Bob ....).

A somewhat techie sort of definition: I want to have margin in the design. There should be an allowance for stuff happening. If I'm running within 20% of a limit, that's not ideal. Yes, this means you *know* and can evaluate those limits. It also can get nonsensical if you are looking at a number that's actually a difference between two limits. Still, it's not a bad starting point.

We went shopping with a Honda Pilot. Even on a small AS, that didn't seem like it would work. We went to an F250. After some running around and trips to the CAT scale, that eventually turned into an F350. Yes, this is on a 30'.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #15
GB

2016 27' International
1997 34' Limited
Saint Cloud , Florida
I tow a 2016 IS 27FB with a 2016 F150 Crew Cab 3.5 Ecoboost and Equilizer Hitch. While I believe I am within the limits of the truck, I feel that I am at the edge went towing. Particularly in the area of breaking and when big trucks pass me I feel like I am being pushed around.

I am looking to upgrade my TV to an F250.

I think that an Expedition or Sequioa would have less towing capability than an F150.
Just my thoughts.

Good Luck

"Everyone buys on emotion and justifies with logic.
That is why I own 2 Airstreams... I needed them."
gblackburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
The question I have would question tongue weight if all gear is loaded at rear of trailer? Does that or can that reduce tongue weight too?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:07 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Danville , California
Quote:
You can tow just about any trailer with an overloaded hitch. The problems come with stopping, wind, and maneuvering; all problem elements are compounded by an emergency situation. The laws of physics dictate when and how well you survive a situation. You and your loved ones are precious cargo; so are the innocents who share the road.

Your actions and decisions ALONE, put precious cargo at risk. YOU ARE THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY.

I have towed a 30’ Classic with an F250 diesel for 17 years. In that time I have experienced a few “situations” most not of my making. Each of those situations tested my rig and myself to the limit. None of those situations would have resolved well with the trailer in control, which is what happens when you overload.

Once you decide to go on the road with an overloaded or mismatched rig you may find in the future that you would give anything to have for a do over on that decision.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
x2 Bob T.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
As in the first response, this will go on and on with side discussions of proper truck, proper hitch, proper this and that.

We towed a 25' FB for ten years and 62,000 (or so) miles with a 2007 Tundra and had no problems. The cargo capacity was very tight and we probably exceeded it by a few hundred pounds. On the other hand, the Tundra looked very overbuilt (some of us speculated 15 years ago that Toyota had engineered to easily be able to bring out a 3/4 ton, but they never did). The only thing that I didn't like was the Tundra brakes were not as good as I would have preferred.

The 25-27' mid-range size Airstreams have always been the topic of whether a half ton is fine or do you need a 3/4 ton? The bigger is better crowd will always go one or two levels up from what most people are ok with. There are also people who always argue you can tow with a Smart car (exaggeration for effect), but since this is America, the bigger is better crowd is always, bigger. And some people happily tow mid-range Airstreams with a Tacoma or other smaller trucks that are clearly not well matched (be in an accident with a smaller truck and surely that will be noticed by the insurer and anyone making a claim against you).

One thing you must master is calculating actual weights with weight distraction hitches. This is poorly understood. A WD hitch transfers weight from the tow vehicle rear axle to the front axle and the trailer axles. That takes weight off the hitch and can be calculated exactly after you get a BS in engineering, but there is a simpler way. Not having to have figured this out for a long time, I cannot remember the proportions—either 2/3 or 1/3 of tongue weight (that includes the hitch head and anything else you may have added to the tongue and then added to the hitch wt.) is transferred off the hitch wt. Surely someone will remember the actual rule of thumb in later post. With a half ton tow vehicle, cargo wt. is often a problem as it is with many SUV's (hint—remove the rear seats on three row models). Cargo wt. on half ton trucks can range from less than 1,000 to more than 2,000 lbs. The actual hitch weight is subtracted from cargo wt. and then you see if you have to divorce your wife, amputate some limbs and remove more seats (the dog will run alongside for a mile).

Also note that over time trailers and tow vehicles are like us—they gain weight. After carefully calculating how much we could put in our trailers, more stuff shows up each year, then after a few years some stuff is removed, but later, more stuff shows up. Perhaps most rigs after 5 years are overweight because we needed that cast iron frying pan, couldn't part with our anvil collection or just wanted more food.

Towing wears a truck or SUV. Pick one with a very good reliability rating. Our Tundra doesn't work as hard these days, but at 15 years and 142,000 miles it runs like new, has had a major brake job and little else besides O2 sensors. Half of those miles have been towing (that's why I rebuilt the brakes).

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post
The question I have would question tongue weight if all gear is loaded at rear of trailer? Does that or can that reduce tongue weight too?
Yes it would but it would be dangerous because the trailer would become unstable and harder to control.

The recommendation (and typical behavior for American travel trailers) is that 10% to 15% of the total trailer weight be on the tongue with AS around 13% for an empty trailer.

That is why the tongue weight of a fully loaded trailer is usually about 150# more than empty because of the 1000+# cargo capacity of the trailer.