Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Saw a trailer jackknife yesterday

Coming home from dinner last night, we were following an SUV pulling a trailer. This was not a travel trailer; it was a car hauler. The tow vehicle was a Toyota 4 Runner and the vehicle being towed was a Toyota Tundra on a car hauler. The roads were slick and beginning to freeze.

As we cruised along on a sleepy mountain road at under 30 mph, the jackknife and spin happened on a curve, right in front of us. It was almost as if it was happening in slow motion. The vehicles came to a stop in the middle of the road, with the tow vehicle facing back towards us and the trailer off at an angle. Fortunately there was no major damage and the vehicles didn’t slide off the road into the river. After a little work, the driver was able to disconnect the trailer, reposition the tow vehicle, and get out of the road.

The remarkable thing to me was the slow speed at which this event transpired. It was very obvious that once the weight of the heavier trailer started pushing the tow vehicle, it was all over. The slick streets meant that the tow vehicle had no chance to resist the force of the heavier trailer. The trailer absolutely manhandled the tow vehicle.

The whole thing reinforced my policy of never towing in icy conditions, and never towing a trailer that weighs more than my tow vehicle. I obviously think about towing dynamics more now that I tow an Airstream, and it was really interesting to watch this jackknife unfold.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Reminds me of a couple of adages: "God looks out for children and fools", and "if you can't be smart, better hope you're lucky."
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I wouldn’t want to test this, the Hensley would have caused the trailer and tow vehicle to remain in unison while sliding avoiding a jackknife situation. Like to hear thoughts on this.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I wouldn’t want to test this, the Hensley would have caused the trailer and tow vehicle to remain in unison while sliding avoiding a jackknife situation. Like to hear thoughts on this.
It may have prevented it in this low speed example. However, I don't believe any hitch can keep things together in all situations. If you hit the guardrail/barrier on the right and over correct left, you can make bad stuff happen no matter what you have connecting your TV to your trailer. Case in point:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aho-gorge.html

https://idahonews.com/news/local/the...ath-experience
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Towing on an icy roadway is always a risk and should be avoided when possible. I have serious doubts that any hitch can prevent bad things from happening on ice. Highway bridges and overheads ice before the roadway and should be crossed with extreme caution once temps fall to near freezing.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
How much torque can a Hensley absorb before it breaks? Seems to me that there is a breaking point for all types of hitches, and if that trailer starts pushing hard sideways I'm guessing that all bets are off, especially if the trailer is heavy.

My point is that while some hitches are better at preventing things like this, none can help with extreme situations. Relying on a hitch to get you through driving on icy roads doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's no way a Rav 4 is rated to tow a Tundra (6000#) on a car trailer (2000#). The Rav 4 is probably rated to tow 500#.
Let's not turn this into a "You need an F-350 to tow a Bambi." thread.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
What would one expect…an accident waiting to happen
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2000 31' Excella
Mukilteo , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Thank you for sharing what you witnessed. Very scary, and reaffirms my anti-ice camping stance, even though we tow our little Caravel with an F250 SD 4WD 😂. It just happens to be what we have 😏.
Luna1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
There's no way a Rav 4 is rated to tow a Tundra (6000#) on a car trailer (2000#). The Rav 4 is probably rated to tow 500#.
He said it was a 4 Runner, not a Rav 4.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
What I was about to say. A 4Runner is more competent than a RAV4. However, I would have had the Tundra towing the 4Runner, not the 4Runner towing the Tundra. (Assuming they were both functioning vehicles.)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We have had the same thing happen in front of us on a bright sunny day and a flat / dry road. The vehicle was a fairly normal car and they had a large riding lawn mower (and some other gear) on the trailer behind them. They would up in the ditch, but nobody seemed to be hurt.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Weight/balance?

I had two Tacomas (the subject TV was a 4 Runner… SUV version of the Taco) and then two Tundras. I’m guessing that the Tundra + trailer exceeded the GTWR of the 4 Runner. Given the weight distribution on the Tundra and it’s length, the tongue weight may have substantially exceeded the tongue weight rating of the 4 Runner. Those factors plus ice plus night sound like a recipe for a mishap.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I wonder how well balanced the trailer was, you would assume the tundra was loaded forward facing and the trailer was nose heavy but not necessarily.
Or
Was there no weight distribution and too much tongue weight resulted in the front of the tow vehicle being light and unable to steer

I also wonder if the trailer had brakes and if a tap on the brake controller would have straightened out the combination when the jackknife started happening.
Lots of car haulers have surge brakes only
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Stanton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Reminds me of a couple of adages: "God looks out for children and fools", and "if you can't be smart, better hope you're lucky."
quote I like is that you never want the tail wagging the dog.
Silver.Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
"The roads were slick and beginning to freeze". If the mishap were caused by hitting ice, then size of tow vehicle is immaterial. Several factors could have caused the event--poorly positioned load, no brakes on trailer or inadequate brakes, worn tires-- all could have contributed. From your description, it sounds like he hit an ice patch to me. Proper matching of TV and trailer is important but not the only factor--your average semi has an approximate 4 to 1 loaded trailer weight to tractor weight ratio.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I'm so embarrassed!
Maybe next time I'll shut up! I swear my lizard brain saw Rav 4.

I see a 4 runner is rated to tow 5000#, closer, still about 3000# over.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
No harm, no foul....I was just clarifying to keep (hopefully) the discussion on track. Wish I could say I have never switched what I saw and caught it when I re-read things.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
The Tundra that he was pulling didn't appear to be operational. I didn't see any weight distribution setup. I think he was towing on the ball. He was only a few miles from home. Almost made it...

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:55 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
The Tundra that he was pulling didn't appear to be operational. I didn't see any weight distribution setup. I think he was towing on the ball. He was only a few miles from home. Almost made it...
Hi

This is one of the classic gotchas: I'm only going a short ways down the road, I'm sure I can make it. I gotta get this home and all I have is this rig.

No, I can't even count how many times *I* have pushed this or that limit in the same fashion. Ten more bags of concrete in the back of the car? I gotta get home .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote