Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Pro Pride Hitch Assembly-Handles to Carry It?

As all PP hitch owners are only too aware, that hitch assembly unit is one heavy chunk of steel. I want to preserve my lower back muscles as much as possible.

Has anyone out there figured out a solution for lifting that unit, i.e. with a handle of some sort? I've seen some responses mentioning that they have...but can't seem to find those threads using search.

If you do have a solution, a picture would be appreciated!

Thank you again!
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
As all PP hitch owners are only too aware, that hitch assembly unit is one heavy chunk of steel. I want to preserve my lower back muscles as much as possible.

Has anyone out there figured out a solution for lifting that unit, i.e. with a handle of some sort? I've seen some responses mentioning that they have...but can't seem to find those threads using search.

If you do have a solution, a picture would be appreciated!

Thank you again!

I bought a 2” Ratchet strap from Home Depot (about $8) just to get the handle which I think is ideal to fit on the stinger but not be too high to interfere with my tailgate. Will post a picture later when I get a chance
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is my old Hensley stinger pictured, but still use it with the pp and flapsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130927_150230_105.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	414685

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Has anyonehttps://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post2515297 out there figured out a solution for lifting that unit, i.e. with a handle of some sort? I've seen some responses mentioning that they have...but can't seem to find those threads using search.
Hey BogeyPro, I posted on this a while back. It’s this post (and a few others afterwards) in my Traveling with Tatay thread.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3460.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	414698

This is the Home Depot 2” Ratchet strap handle installed
Old 04-19-2022, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Hey BogeyPro, I posted on this a while back. It’s this post (and a few others afterwards) in my Traveling with Tatay thread.
Great idea.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Wow, I had forgot how much fun that thing was to horse around on my old rig, a 2016 FC30. I basically just two-handed it, as best I could. The handle/strap thing looks like a really useful accessory, I have to say.

Does anyone know how much it weighs exactly?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sorry, the direct link to that post didn’t take.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post2515297
Old 04-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Wow, I had forgot how much fun that thing was to horse around on my old rig, a 2016 FC30. I basically just two-handed it, as best I could. The handle/strap thing looks like a really useful accessory, I have to say.

Does anyone know how much it weighs exactly?
51# for the stinger; 84# with rocktamers attached

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-20-2022, 06:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
At home I use my harbor freight hydraulic lift table. I bought it years ago for changing out kitchen oven. I've found dozens of other uses for it since then. Now I use it to remove and install the stinger. You just sort of balance the stinger in position (I suppose I could get some foam blocks or something to stabilize it), roll the table up to the back of the truck, and then lift it in place and slide in.

Of course on the road it does not do me any good. Trying to lift that table into my truck would be as bad as lifting the stinger.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...art-61405.html
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I really don't find the stinger any harder to mess with than my previous Blue Ox hitch attachment. What I don't like is getting my hands all grimy from the thing. Thus the handle on the hitch makes perfect sense.

By the way this is one good reason for us older folks to do strength, balance and functional training; as well as learning to lift properly. It will increase our enjoyment with less back issues!!!

Excellent resource: Ageless Strength (strong and fit for a lifetime). It takes you through basic to more advanced strength workouts. It's not about barbells and weight machines. Very practical exercises for balance, strength and functional moves. Highly recommend. Very little gear needed.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I really don't find the stinger any harder to mess with than my previous Blue Ox hitch attachment. What I don't like is getting my hands all grimy from the thing. Thus the handle on the hitch makes perfect sense.

By the way this is one good reason for us older folks to do strength and balance training; as well as learning to lift properly. It will increase our enjoyment with less back issues!!!

Excellent resource: Ageless Strength (strong and fit for a lifetime). It takes you through basic to more advanced strength workouts. It's not about barbells and weight machines. Very practical exercises for balance, strength and functional moves. Highly recommend.
It's not any harder than any of the rest. BTW, no lube is necessary on a stinger. If you do think you need it, use dry lube made for mountain bike chains. Grease just attracts sand and grime, making the situation worse than just leaving it dry.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Daquenzer, I totally agree on all points. The handle is mostly to avoid awkward handling and lifting. It also makes it very easy to handle the full stinger assembly (with rock tamers, which I think I'll leave at home more often now that I'm not going to Alaska). With the handle you don't have to stoop lower to get the stinger in and out of the truck's hitch receiver. All of this even more helpful with the larger and heavier stinger that I use with my F-250.

I had back surgery in 2003. It took me many years to realize that strength training, particularly in the core, was essential to me having a problem-free back. I have a few pilates exercises that I learned in PT that I can do anywhere, including in the trailer, and I do them regularly. Especially on trips, where long days driving in the truck can really come back to haunt me if I'm not careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post

By the way this is one good reason for us older folks to do strength, balance and functional training; as well as learning to lift properly. It will increase our enjoyment with less back issues!!!

Excellent resource: Ageless Strength (strong and fit for a lifetime). It takes you through basic to more advanced strength workouts. It's not about barbells and weight machines. Very practical exercises for balance, strength and functional moves. Highly recommend. Very little gear needed.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
I leave the stinger connected to the hitch on the Airstream, and disconnect the other end of the stinger from the Ford. Thus, I never have to lift it.

Seems to work fine!
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Clever solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
Attachment 414698

This is the Home Depot 2” Ratchet strap handle installed
Pete B55, this is a clever solution and just what I am looking for! I'll check out home depot for that ratchet strap. Regarding the bolt used to attach the handle, did you buy another one for that handle, or are you using one of the three bolts that came with the hitch assembly?
Old 04-20-2022, 10:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thanks, nryn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Sorry, the direct link to that post didn’t take.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post2515297
I do like that Kayak handle solution you got there! Not sure how I'll install a grommet into the ends though. But definitely worth considering.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
For my Hensley, I bent a piece of steel and welded it to the top. Then I used aluminum tubing to make a holder on the a-frame. I think the tubing is 2.5" outside with a 3/16" wall, so it provides a loose fit. It was a cutoff from my local Metal Supermarket. I know if looks like it would be hard on the shins, but you'd really have to be kicking at something under the trailer for that to happen. I can lock it in place with the hitch pin if I think it necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05342.ARW.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	414723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05343.ARW.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	414724  

Name:	DSC05344.ARW.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	414725  

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It's not any harder than any of the rest. BTW, no lube is necessary on a stinger. If you do think you need it, use dry lube made for mountain bike chains. Grease just attracts sand and grime, making the situation worse than just leaving it dry.

From time to time I put on rust inhibitor. When the paint wears off rust can occur. That’s the grimy part. Otherwise I put on silicone spray so that it goes in and out with less friction.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Pete B55, this is a clever solution and just what I am looking for! I'll check out home depot for that ratchet strap. Regarding the bolt used to attach the handle, did you buy another one for that handle, or are you using one of the three bolts that came with the hitch assembly?

I used another 5/8-3” bolt through an empty adjustment hole on the stinger. I would not suggest utilizing the Propride bolts as those are grade 8 torqued very high. The softer metal of the handle would probably deform compromising the torque.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
I do like that Kayak handle solution you got there! Not sure how I'll install a grommet into the ends though. But definitely worth considering.
Grommet kits are readily available at hardware stores and sports stores, around $10-15. All you need is a hammer. They are handy to have around. This is the one I use (for more than this project).

The kayak handle adds practically no weight to the stinger. But really, bolting on any handle is an improvement.