Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Porsche Cayenne Trailer Brake Controller

Hi All,

Anyone have a suggestion for a trailer brake controller for a Porsche Cayenne? It doesn't need to be specific for a Cayenne as the TV has pre wiring. Just curious if anyone has a controller installed under the dash, as well, I am open to opinions options etc...

Thank you!
illya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

1971 21' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by illya View Post
Hi All,

Anyone have a suggestion for a trailer brake controller for a Porsche Cayenne? It doesn't need to be specific for a Cayenne as the TV has pre wiring. Just curious if anyone has a controller installed under the dash, as well, I am open to opinions options etc...

Thank you!
I use the Tekonsha P3 controller on my 2014 Cayenne Diesel. It works great and I have it mounted under my dash. You will need to go to your local VW dealer to get the parts to make the harness between the vehicle wiring and the controller. Porsche does not make or stock the part. My Porsche dealer now has a contact and parts list to order from the VW dealer. How funny is that?

You can get the 7-way plug adapter from suncoastparts.com

The new wireless controllers seem to be trendy and have to order one for my 2020 GLS as Mercedes has made installing a wired controller a PITA. I am still skeptical but dont have any experience yet to recommend.

A word of caution if you are towing a 25' Globetrotter with a Cayenne. You are officially 230 pounds overweight on the tongue with or without a distribution hitch. And that is official from Atlanta and Stuttgart. The Cayenne looks good on paper as a tow vehicle but has some shortcomings. It has to do with the way the tow receiver is mounted/integrated in the bumper.

Hope this helps.
forbin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Thank you so much for your input.

On the tongue weight for the 2021 Cayenne, I haven't been able to find information, so thank you. I took the globetrotter to test it at the dealer and it seemed fine, not to say that "seemed fine" makes it fine. Quite frankly, it was amazing how the Cayenne auto adjusted the suspension.

On the hitch, please elaborate more. I currently use an equalizer, where the ball height can be adjusted quite a bit in order for the airstream to be level.

Last, the P3 is the controller I was most inclined with, but wasn't sure about the connection, as well as the aesthetics under the dash.

Please do comment back. I have no ego when it comes to learning.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #4

1971 21' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by illya View Post
Thank you so much for your input.

On the tongue weight for the 2021 Cayenne, I haven't been able to find information, so thank you. I took the globetrotter to test it at the dealer and it seemed fine, not to say that "seemed fine" makes it fine. Quite frankly, it was amazing how the Cayenne auto adjusted the suspension.

On the hitch, please elaborate more. I currently use an equalizer, where the ball height can be adjusted quite a bit in order for the airstream to be level.

Last, the P3 is the controller I was most inclined with, but wasn't sure about the connection, as well as the aesthetics under the dash.

Please do comment back. I have no ego when it comes to learning.

So I wrote out a long reply and when I went to posted, it errored out and I lost everything. Here is the digest:

My experience is up to the 2018 model year so I went and did research on the new 2019-2021s. It seems the new towing capacities are even lower than 2018 and olders:

“Steel cross member with vertically positionable trailer ball head, max. towing load 7714 lbs. (3,500 kg) (braked trailer), max. drawbar load 308 lbs. (140 kg).. Trailer plug mount and plug adapters are not included, see the related items below.”

Towing capacity is not the same as tow rating. You need to take the lowest number of your setup. Marketing people…sigh . The 2018s and older were rated up to 7736 lbs towing and 616 lbs hitch weight.

You also need to check out the weights on your trailer. This is from the Airstream website:

https://www.airstream.com/blog/the-c...-towing-guide/

Mind you, these are fully loaded capacities. The only proper way to determine weights is to take your trailer to the scales and balance accordingly.

Hitches that support weight distribution will have separate rating with or without WD. The Cayennes don’t. You can use a WD hitch but will not help increase your max hitch weight. There are also limits on the drawbar length, 6" still I believe. On all my Cayennes there was a sticker on the hitch receiver with the limits.

Porsche, BMW, MBUSA all recommend against using WD with air suspension. You can ruin the air struts and sensors and possibly cause an accident because the WD throws off the leveling logic and can put negative pressure on the suspension. On my Mercedes they said that the WD couldn't lift the vehicle beyond its natural ride height.

That said with the newer Cayennes and I have had 4 is that they are no longer well-suited to tow Airstreams, even the smaller ones due to the new drawbar weight restrictions. Shame on Airstream to sell trailers to people who show up with this vehicle because there is the chance to damage a vehicle, cause an accident or create liability.

Back to the P3… I use black commercial hook and loop Velcro to mount my controller under the dash so I can remove it when it is not in use. The wires can be tucked up under the dash by the peddles when not in use to make it look better.

You will need to go to the VW dealer to get the molex 4-wire plug to create the harness and wirenut that to your controller pigtail. It seems that the new Cayennes still use the old connecter:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ontroller.html

You will also need the 7-pin wire connector you can get from suncoastparts.com
Tekonsha has a new wireless controller that mounts on your trailer. There is a wireless transmitter with an accelerometer that determines voltage to the trailer brakes powered by your cigarette lighter. I know people that use it and I will be forced to use it on the GLS since it doesn’t come with brake wiring. It seems to work with less wires and would look better:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P0ZA86...v_ov_lig_dp_it

To that end, my advice is worth what you paid for. I did a lot of research on the Cayennes before buying it. Doing this new research I will probably have to move to a MB GLE or GLS to tow my ‘71 Globetrotter. The GLS has a hitch rating of only 600 lbs even with a 7700 lbs capacity when I just now researched it! I have a Ram 2500 Cummings to tow my 27 Overlander and 32 Excella. I have seen people tow 23s, 25s, and 27s with a Cayenne but they are all overloaded except the 23s by the numbers. Again, to have a safe rig that doesn’t void warranty or get you cited in an accident, the only way is to go to the scales and properly balance the rig.

I hope this helps.
forbin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. Minimal cab intrusion and excellent performance. I have had 2 so far, one on a Q5 and one on a Touareg.

https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...ake-controller

As mentioned, you will also need the harness available from VW.
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Update on Tongue weight

Just as an update. The 2021 Cayenne states on the receiver, and in the owner's manual, that the max tongue weight is 770 lbs. Still not the 880 lbs of the Globetrotter.

I still need to weight the actual tongue weight, which I will do after swapping the batteries for the lithium ones.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

Newbury Park , CA
Can we talk more about Cayennes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbin42 View Post
So I wrote out a long reply and when I went to posted, it errored out and I lost everything. Here is the digest:

My experience is up to the 2018 model year so I went and did research on the new 2019-2021s. It seems the new towing capacities are even lower than 2018 and olders:

“Steel cross member with vertically positionable trailer ball head, max. towing load 7714 lbs. (3,500 kg) (braked trailer), max. drawbar load 308 lbs. (140 kg).. Trailer plug mount and plug adapters are not included, see the related items below.”

Towing capacity is not the same as tow rating. You need to take the lowest number of your setup. Marketing people…sigh . The 2018s and older were rated up to 7736 lbs towing and 616 lbs hitch weight.

You also need to check out the weights on your trailer. This is from the Airstream website:

https://www.airstream.com/blog/the-c...-towing-guide/

Mind you, these are fully loaded capacities. The only proper way to determine weights is to take your trailer to the scales and balance accordingly.

Hitches that support weight distribution will have separate rating with or without WD. The Cayennes don’t. You can use a WD hitch but will not help increase your max hitch weight. There are also limits on the drawbar length, 6" still I believe. On all my Cayennes there was a sticker on the hitch receiver with the limits.

Porsche, BMW, MBUSA all recommend against using WD with air suspension. You can ruin the air struts and sensors and possibly cause an accident because the WD throws off the leveling logic and can put negative pressure on the suspension. On my Mercedes they said that the WD couldn't lift the vehicle beyond its natural ride height.

That said with the newer Cayennes and I have had 4 is that they are no longer well-suited to tow Airstreams, even the smaller ones due to the new drawbar weight restrictions. Shame on Airstream to sell trailers to people who show up with this vehicle because there is the chance to damage a vehicle, cause an accident or create liability.

To that end, my advice is worth what you paid for. I did a lot of research on the Cayennes before buying it. Doing this new research I will probably have to move to a MB GLE or GLS to tow my ‘71 Globetrotter. The GLS has a hitch rating of only 600 lbs even with a 7700 lbs capacity when I just now researched it! I have a Ram 2500 Cummings to tow my 27 Overlander and 32 Excella. I have seen people tow 23s, 25s, and 27s with a Cayenne but they are all overloaded except the 23s by the numbers. Again, to have a safe rig that doesn’t void warranty or get you cited in an accident, the only way is to go to the scales and properly balance the rig.

I hope this helps.
I appreciate your advice and I need to understand more about these weights and such. I have a 2016 Cayenne w/ a factory tow package. We're getting a 25FBT International. I thought we crunched the numbers properly, but now I feel like maybe not. I did see max. hitch weight on the Cayenne of 617, and now I see a hitch weight of 827 for the trailer BUT...here's my question...we're getting a ProPrideP3 hitch that has weight distribution. Doesn't that mean it takes weight off the hitch and distributes it throughout the tow vehicle?

Also, doesn't the 7-way-pin plug brake the trailer when I hit the Cayenne brakes? I understand I need that additional manual brake, but my neighbor, who has a 25ft Safari wasn't sure about that.

I want to be as safe as possible, but I don't want to ditch my Cayenne and buy a truck either.

Also, since you're so full of info...what about extended side mirrors? What do you recommend?

Thanks for any and all advice,
Newbie Tracy
TracyRA12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:17 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Porsche Cayenne Trailer Brake Controller

Hi Tracy,
Congratulations on getting your 25 soon. You should be able to tow it easily with your Cayenne and ProPride hitch. The hitch will help to spread out the load, putting some of the weight on your Cayenne front tires and some on the trailer tires too. I tow my AS with a 2014 Touareg TDI.

You WILL need to add a brake controller. There will be no braking signal from your Cayenne to the trailer until you put the controller into the system. You may also want to have Porsche add the Towing Module and do the programming to you vehicle so that it recognizes when a trailer is connected. Or maybe is is already equipped with it?

Regarding mirrors, I use Repusel towing mirrors. They are a European company with a good product. Ships quickly from The Netherlands I believe.

https://www.repusel.com/ENGLISH/cata...ategories_id=1
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:32 AM   #9
knight-rider

2021 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
I have installed this one in my 2017 Cayenne - https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51170. It fits nicely on the dash below the steering wheel, slightly on the right. You need a bit of flat surface to install this one. It blends really well in the dash, and has all the functionalities you need on a brake controller. It works perfect! I have factory tow package. So pre-wiring for brake controller was already there. It was very easy to install this one.
knight-rider is offline   Reply With Quote