Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Ketchum , Idaho
Safety Chains Save the Day (Gulp!)

This from the morning paper. A pickup with two people and two dogs pulling a trailer loses control and crashes over the guard rail of a bridge spanning a 100’ deep gorge. Trailer stays attached and on the road, truck dangles in air.

I’ve copied the first few paragraphs and photo below. If the link to the article is paywalled, you can probably find it from some other AP source.

Lessons: Check those chains, people! And sway can become uncontrolled in a heartbeat and ruin your day. This hitch stuff is extremely important.

Rescuers save 2 from pickup dangling over deep Idaho gorge
BY REBECCA BOONE ASSOCIATED PRESS
MARCH 16, 2021 08:38 AM

BOISE, IDAHO
Authorities say a set of camp trailer safety chains and quick, careful work by emergency crews saved two people after their pickup truck plunged off a bridge, leaving them dangling above a deep gorge in southern Idaho.

Idaho State Police responded to the accident at about 2:45 p.m. Monday, said ISP spokeswoman Lynn Hightower. A trooper found a man and a woman inside the pickup truck that was dangling, nose-down, off the side of the bridge spanning the Malad Gorge. The gorge is narrow but is roughly 100 feet (30.48 meters) deep below the bridge, roughly the height of a 10-story building. The gorge reaches about 250 feet (76.20 meters) deep at its deepest point.

The only thing keeping the 2004 Ford F-350 pickup from falling was the set of “safety chains” attaching the 30-foot camper trailer, which remained on the bridge, to the pickup. A state trooper and local sheriff's deputy first used an additional set of chains from a nearby semi-truck to help support the dangling pickup truck, holding it in place until additional rescuers with cranes, rope rescue gear and other equipment could arrive.

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

This image provided by the Idaho State Police shows the scene where authorities say a set of camp trailer safety chains and quick, careful work by emergency crews saved two people after their pickup truck plunged off a bridge, leaving them dangling above a deep gorge in southern Idaho on Monday, March 15, 2021. (Idaho State Police via AP) AP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3566095A-6102-4253-845C-FCA58EF0DC19.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	390890  
dcasali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
From East Idaho News. Showing some of the rescue.

Tip O' the cap to all first respoinders.

S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Wow!
And the bolts holding the receiver to the frame held too!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Those must be very good chains AND hooks. I have seen several wrecks where chains have snapped or the hooks have stretched straight.

Impressed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Wow!
And the bolts holding the receiver to the frame held too!
Old 03-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Use heavy safety chains, and heavy latching hooks.
That driver got very lucky.
Slow down out there.
Keep the round side down.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
http://https://www.facebook.com/100000706353895/posts/4234501566583347/
Steve340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
100 foot drop stopped by 2 safety chains

I wonder what the force was on those 2 chains from stopping all that weight instantly?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_1615920433824.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	390896  
Steve340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Ketchum , Idaho
Aerial photo of the scene

From the Facebook page Steve linked to above. More good photos and text there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9ED6ED52-F599-4026-A9D0-06F361042066.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	390905  
dcasali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Wow! The “pucker factor” in the truck cab whilst waiting for heavy rescue must have been off the charts, as well as the “laundry problem”. Those of us in the military know what I’m referring to...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Made the NBC national news tonight. Just saw the story about 5 minutes ago. Rescued the wife and husband and 2 dogs in the truck.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Bless them!

Incredible real life story versus the plot to some movie. I can't fathom the tremendous stress they were under and trying to keep two dogs still. I'm all about getting back on the horse but there might a time when I would say alright been there done that or conversely, well that will never happen again.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Oh wow! I’ve driven over that spot many times.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
When some of us posters go on and on about safety being #1, that's a perfect example.
The fact there were heavy chains on that big tow vehicle, saved their lives.That flat bed semi driver, dropping some high tensil strength chains to it, and backing up on it, probably saved the day.
A trailer coming loose, is a worst case scenario.
Sometimes you just get real lucky.Luck loomed large there.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:48 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Folks,

I found this on another forum and it has a first hand account and details from a member of the rescue team who happens to be a member of this Jayco forum. And according to this post, one chain was holding the truck and then another chain was attached to the semi truck.

In the interest of towing safely, copied from the Jayco Owners forum post:

"This accident happened today in Idaho. Excessive speed, sway, and load mis-management each played a part in this accident. Luckily my rescue team was fortunate enough to rescue both occupants and 2 dogs from this crash.

This F350 single rear wheel truck was equipped with a Reese WDH with a sway bar, but he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack.

The skid marks told the story, with evidence of multiple sway action as he entered a curve on the interstate, which in Idaho has a speed limit of 80 mph. The trailer overtook the truck, causing it to Jack knife, the trailer contacted the right Jersey barrier, and pushed the truck over the left Jersey barrier and over the side of the bridge. The trailer ball was pulled out of the hitch and the truck was dangling dangerously by only one remaining safety chain until emergency crews arrived and secured it with 3 heavy chains to a semi truck who happened to be right behind the accident. The bridge crosses a deep, narrow gorge (approximately 150 feet deep), which had the single remaining chain failed, the truck would have plummeted to the bottom.

In December a similar accident happened in our region where a 1/2 ton truck slid on an icy curve and plummeted 280 feet, killing a father and son. In that incident the complete receiver hitch failed tearing free from the truck, the trailer was approximately 32-34 feet long, again probably over the truck’s recommend capacity.

Reality strikes when load limits are not followed! Please stop asking if my truck can pull my trailer. Please follow the recommendations and KNOW your truck and trailer are a good match, and slow down!"
He posted details and a few pics.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...way-85020.html
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 03-17-2021, 05:14 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Another video, freeze on the 15 second mark and you can see the a close shot of the back of the truck, hitch and trailer chain and the other added chains to hold the truck. Notice also the breakaway cable was laced thru the second chain the if reports are correct the second chain was not holding the truck.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I do not see weight distributing bars attached to the hitch-head.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This F350 single rear wheel truck was equipped with a Reese WDH with a sway bar, but he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack.

That plus speed tells the story. I see so many of these carriers on the back of trailers wondering if folks understand what they are doing. A lesson when you start asking about wanting to put that receiver on the back of your Airstream.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post

That plus speed tells the story. I see so many of these carriers on the back of trailers wondering if folks understand what they are doing. A lesson when you start asking about wanting to put that receiver on the back of your Airstream.

Jack
In total agreement about adding weight to rear of trailer axles.
I'm just looking again early this am, seeing additional info on this wreck, from the rescue crew.Driver was hanging from 1 safety chain.Crazy.Lucky that pro flatbed driver was right behind him, and fished some big hook chains fast,down to that frame.
Amazing, now looking at the rear axle of Tow vehicle half sheered off.
Again, excessive speed kills.It tried to kill this time, but it's just a miracle it was unsuccessful.Just blind luck they lived, and also didn't kill anyone else, including those involved in rescue.
Even professional drivers do really stupid stuff.Excessive speed is almost always involved.Just can't go fast enough.
I started a thread here last week, advice for new people to towing.I was just going to get into the whole excessive speed thing.In most cases, posted limits would be excessive speed for brand new drivers, to combination vehicles.Slow down.
Heres a great example, of what excessive speed , among other mistakes, does out there in the asphalt jungle.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Wow! The “pucker factor” in the truck cab whilst waiting for heavy rescue must have been off the charts, as well as the “laundry problem”.
If you look closely at the picture in Post #7, you can see the driver still in his seat belt. His arm is on the steering wheel supporting his upper body.
Looking straight down into the ravine had to be a life changing moment. Thanks to the first responders, what was ugly could have been tragic.
I'd caution against making assumptions about what caused the accident. It's all speculation.
I will say it's a good reminder to think about what's in the truck bed. A 3000 w. generator untethered flying through the rear window would be a killer. Along with a 30# propane tank.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Safety Chains Save Day

One wonders—what went wrong on that bridge. Trailer starts swaying. Harmonics kick in and next thing, tow vehicle hanging by two safety chains.

One wonders—was it overspeed? was it wind? was it a tire blowout? was it an inattentive driver, head turned 90 degrees to the roadway?

One wonders.

TOP TOP SPEED—59mph. No sneaking into the 60s just ‘cause the road’s straight and true.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote