Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2003, 08:07 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
I have seen the dual cam HP setup on 3 Classics so far. I believe that the gas line had to be unclamped while doing the install but after the cam brackets had been installed they had been put back in the same area. I am sorry to not have more details. But I will say I have seen them on the new Classics and the owners loved them.

Sorry again for no more details.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey thanks JP for the info....I've been looking at hitch upgrades for a bit now since ordering the 25' Safari. With that large of a unit, I just don't feel that friction sway is a good choice, but at the same time, I didn't want to mod out or conflict with the gas line. With this info in hand, the HP seems like the right choice (especially for those that don't have about three grand lying around for a hitch system... ).

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:46 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

My concern is that the frontal mounting arm might conflict with the gas line on the curbside.

Anyone comment on this?

Eric
Eric,
When they installed my dual-cam on the Safari, they just unscrewed the clamps guiding the gas line and pulled it aside to get things mounted. Seems to be something that they are quite acustomed to do. I think that new HP unit pretty much eliminates the issues with the bolts in the gas bottle tray area.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The gas line is held up to the bottom of the tongue with a coupla clamps that are riveted to it. Drill the heads off the rivets, let the line drop, install your hitch clamps, then rehang the gas line below, using spacers between the gas line clamps and tongue, and longer screws or rivets.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #25

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI

Now you're complete. How does the wallet feel?

(we understand: we had bought a new SUV for the AS and then found out it didn't have enough torque. Sold it losing much and got a used truck)
I haven't figured the cost of the hitch work although at dealer's cost it will be significantly less. Right now I'm on the honeymoon. Old trailer sold, insurance cancelled. One other significant expense will be sales tax Now if we hold off the payment of the tax and registration till January we can escape the first year of annual personal property taxes (assesed on the valuation of the trailer) that our fine county levies.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-25-2003, 06:18 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Eric---we have a 19 Bambi & had a Reese HP Dual Cam put on for the reason if we should ever go bigger the hitch should be o.k. When they installed the dual Cam, the holder the gas line was in was unfastened & then reattached after the Dual Cam was installed. Really no biggie. I really like the set-up & it's easy to hook-up, etc. I think you would be satisfied with one. Good luck with the new dream.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:30 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks......I'm going to go looking for a price on it in the next week or so. I am unsure what can be salvaged out of my old setup of the 1200lb bars, hitch and horseshoe mounts.....

Anyone know?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:48 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
I'm not sure with the HP model but when I bought my SOB a few year back, I did have to change out my spring bars since the ones I had were not heavy enough and did not have the predrilled holes for the dual cam attachments which mount on the end of the bars. The snap up brackets, hitch, and ball (all other components) were all reusable.

That's the nice thing about the Reese. You can upgrade components over the years since the dual cam is an add on to existing hitch equipment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15