Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
They are high density plastic pieces that go on the bottom of the L brackets for the Equalizer hitch. They pretty much eliminate noise from the bars sliding on the brackets, and will reduce wear and friction between the brackets and bars. Since you mentioned that your Equalizer problem was likely because of friction in that contact area, I wondered if your hitch was equipped with the jackets.
No, I was not even aware they had them, but could have helped with the friction issue for sure. Maybe they did not have them back 10 years ago when this happened to me? Anyway, I know lots of folks use the Equalizers today and are happy, so maybe thats a reason; they added this. I have been very happy with the BO set up, so never gave it another look after my Equalizer bar twisted.

I do still believe the tapered bars with the Blue Ox sway bars and the chain and cam connection, allow movement the Equalizer and others similar, do not have. Those Square bars do not have any spring for tension; just the tension at the head where they connect. I can see the slight bend in the Blue Ox tapered bars when I am loaded up, and I know the chains allows them to "swing" or move left/right when angle tension occurs while backing as well. That's a nice design, IMHO.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #22
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I remove my bars if I am arriving after dark to prevent the noise. I will also remove them when the ground is unlevel when backing into the site. This is just to prevent the bars from being over stressed.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
...just wondering why a 350, surly not needed with a 25'.

Yes on sway control.

I added a Class V receiver to help with weight transfer and welded the insert to reduce slop and reinforce the pin hole.

Bob
����
Cargo capacity higher in 350 as configured vs the 250
(our 1/2 ton had only 1598# cargo that was quickly eaten up by over 1,000 hitch weight, equalizer hitch, two adults, three dogs, gen, gas for gen, and water)
Better resale in this area that recoups more than the difference in purchase price
Little more cost over the 250
10 speed trans with 6.2 gas only available in the 350 not in 250
The extra leaf (vs 250) in the spring pack only cones into play as an "overload" ... otherwise, the 350 is the same as the F250.
Surprisingly, the height is the same for the F250 vs 350

Did I mention cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Be careful with reducer selection. Some have a collar that may not allow the reducer to seat deeply enough for its holes to align with the receiver’s holes.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Cargo capacity higher in 350 as configured vs the 250
(our 1/2 ton had only 1598# cargo that was quickly eaten up by over 1,000 hitch weight, equalizer hitch, two adults, three dogs, gen, gas for gen, and water)
Better resale in this area that recoups more than the difference in purchase price
Little more cost over the 250
10 speed trans with 6.2 gas only available in the 350 not in 250
The extra leaf (vs 250) in the spring pack only cones into play as an "overload" ... otherwise, the 350 is the same as the F250.
Surprisingly, the height is the same for the F250 vs 350

Did I mention cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity ... cargo capacity
Yea but, does the 350 give you any additional... "cargo capacity"??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yes!
...as configured for us....just as I said above.
No argument here... just trying to answer an honest inquiry.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Yea but, does the 350 give you any additional... "cargo capacity"??
Cargo capacity?...YES,Yes,Yes...the '350' has much more room for our 'stuff'.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Westport , Washington
I've read all these debates about trucks, power et cetera.
I ordered my new truck a F350 6.7 before I had the idea I wanted to get an AS. It was for pulling around my boat which weighs in dry at around 11,000. I was trading down from a dually which was a pain in the butt in parking lots et cetera. The F350 is probably overkill but hey...better than underkill. A F250 was probably sufficient but the price difference between the two was minimal so to me it was a no brainer.

It's been ingrained in me right or wrong as a now retired Alaska commercial fisherman (trawler captain) that bigger is better. No one in my part of the fishing game states gee I wish I had less HP...no one. I've worked for companies that designed boats where the hydraulic systems matched what was needed. Bad decision as we always needed to upgrade for more capacity. Upgrades were much more expensive so that how my brain thinks. To me it's much better to error on the side of having more than needed.

I've read a bit where some people think a 350 might be hard on the trailer(s) as I guess there isn't as much give or whatever...too stiff. I guess I'll find out or if that's really the case I'll try to minimize it with a different style of hitch or something.
Kimbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbrey View Post
I've read all these debates about trucks, power et cetera.
I ordered my new truck a F350 6.7 before I had the idea I wanted to get an AS. It was for pulling around my boat which weighs in dry at around 11,000. I was trading down from a dually which was a pain in the butt in parking lots et cetera. The F350 is probably overkill but hey...better than underkill. A F250 was probably sufficient but the price difference between the two was minimal so to me it was a no brainer.

It's been ingrained in me right or wrong as a now retired Alaska commercial fisherman (trawler captain) that bigger is better. No one in my part of the fishing game states gee I wish I had less HP...no one. I've worked for companies that designed boats where the hydraulic systems matched what was needed. Bad decision as we always needed to upgrade for more capacity. Upgrades were much more expensive so that how my brain thinks. To me it's much better to error on the side of having more than needed.

I've read a bit where some people think a 350 might be hard on the trailer(s) as I guess there isn't as much give or whatever...too stiff. I guess I'll find out or if that's really the case I'll try to minimize it with a different style of hitch or something.
F250 and F350 difference primary, is one more spring, which does not come into use, unless you are carying a lot...the ride is pretty much the same for both, IMHO...I tested both when I got my F250 6.7L in 2017. I will say, the 2016 and prior models, were night and day stiffer ride...they changed the suspensions in 2017 going forward...very nice ride in the newer Superduties IMHO..
Old 11-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #30
Riveted...?

2004 25' Safari
Central Valley , California
Thumbs up Same results

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman31 View Post
We tow a 27FBQ with a 2020 350, and use the Blue Ox WD hitch via a reducer. Everything has worked great through many different kinds of weather, and situations.

The Blue Ox keeps everything nice and level, which helps when going over rough terrain and bumps.

We have had to back into some difficult campsites, down slopes and sideways. Never had an issue.

I can't speak for the Equalizer, but we are very happy with our set up.
I use a similar setup as Pak with my Ram: BO with a reducer...Same results as above...No issues...

2013 Ram, 2500, Crew Cab, Cummins, 4x4, SRW, Short Box
2004 25', Safari LS w/ 3" Dexter Lift Kit on Henschen Axles,
Blue Ox
Justinhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Westport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
F250 and F350 difference primary, is one more spring, which does not come into use, unless you are carying a lot...the ride is pretty much the same for both, IMHO...I tested both when I got my F250 6.7L in 2017. I will say, the 2016 and prior models, were night and day stiffer ride...they changed the suspensions in 2017 going forward...very nice ride in the newer Superduties IMHO..
Yup mine seems to be a good ride. This is my first foray into Ford as I've through the years been a Chevy guy. Almost embarrassed to admit it but the only reason we went with Ford this time was adaptive cruise control. We have it in the SUV and so didn't want to do without it on the truck. Chevy didn't have it in thier HD trucks when we ordered the Ford.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Just a FWIW, you can order a Propride with a 2", 2.5", or 3" receiver end. Also, the stinger itself is adjustable and can be set for just about whatever lift you need. Design of the hitch just about guarantees that you can drop the truck tailgate while hitched up, a nice benefit.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Just a FWIW, you can order a Propride with a 2", 2.5", or 3" receiver end. Also, the stinger itself is adjustable and can be set for just about whatever lift you need. Design of the hitch just about guarantees that you can drop the truck tailgate while hitched up, a nice benefit.
Yes.

I started with the F-150 and its two-inch receiver. Tried the adapter on the F-250. Aligning the holes just wasn’t worth the trouble. The PPP is very tight in the receiver. So I got the 2.5”.

Also true that the open tailgate doesn’t touch the hitch anywhere.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Hitch

I have no problem backing up with an equalizer hitch.

Tampa Airsteam just switched to Blue Ox hitches. When I asked why it was a corporate Purchasing decision.

Enjoy the shopping and there is lots of good advice on the forum. The Ford Receiver Hitch is a pretty sloppy fit read up on that.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbrey View Post
We've ordered a Classic 30' so now the wait begins with all kinds of research to do in the upcoming months.

Anyway:
Sounds as if you can back with it versus not being able to back with the Equalizer.
Not sure where you heard this from. I have an Equal-i-zer brand hitch and there are no issues with backing at all. Been using mine for 18 years with my 30' Classic Slide Out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
You may be surprised as we were when we picked up our 2021 F350 in August after waiting 4 months for chips. The receiver is 2.5 inches, which is perfect because it came with a sleeve insert to accept our 2 inch hitch. The only difference is that we ordered the larger engine, 7.3 liter.
We were told that you have to ask for or order the truck with a 3 inch receiver.
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Westport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Smith View Post
You may be surprised as we were when we picked up our 2021 F350 in August after waiting 4 months for chips. The receiver is 2.5 inches, which is perfect because it came with a sleeve insert to accept our 2 inch hitch. The only difference is that we ordered the larger engine, 7.3 liter.
We were told that you have to ask for or order the truck with a 3 inch receiver.
I'll be darned...weird. Mine has the 3" hitch receiver with the next sized step down insert. I didn't ask for the 3"...it just came with the truck. Maybe it's standard with the 6.7 diesel & a 2022.

Yeah quite the wait. Ordered mine in late March right after the order banks opened for the 2022's....I wanted the bigger screen. Dealer screwed up and canceled the order at the end of July. I actually discovered the order was canceled as they didn't know that one of their sales managers messed up. Reordered September 1. They did trim some $$$ off the deal because of it so it all worked out. Now we'll see how the order process goes with Airstream. No more instant gratification.....
Old 11-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Blue Ox makes a 2 1/2" receiver insert. I just up graded to one. I think it was 14,000 or 15,000 pound rated. Go on the Blue Ox web site and see for yourself. I can't remember if I got it from BO or Etrailer. Look diligently, the test of the world runs on 2".
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:39 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
I see now why you have a 3 inch hitch. You ordered a diesel. We have a Gasser. When you order gas engine you have to specify a 3 inch receiver. Although, it seems that no one at the dealership really knows that. Unless of course they are a “truck guy.“
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #40
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Smith View Post

I took a look at a 2021 Order guide. I didn't see the capability to change the standard receiver sizes as specified below. Trim level did not impact receiver sizing.

2.5” Built Ford Tough® Trailer Hitch Receiver5” Built Ford Tough® Trailer Hitch Receiver
F-250 (less HD Trailer Tow (535)) ● ● ● ● ● ●
F-350 SRW – 6.2L and 7.3L Gas engine ● ● ● ● ●
F-350 SRW – Diesel (All 4x2 and 4x4 Regular Cab
and Super Cab. excludes 164” WB and Crew Cab
only)
● ● ● ● ● ●
F-350 DRW – 6.2L Gas engine

3” Built Ford Tough® Trailer Hitch Receiver
F-250 – Diesel with HD Trailer Tow (535) ● ● ● ● ● ●
F-350 SRW – Diesel (4x4 164” WB and Crew Cab
only) ● ● ● ● ● ●
F-350 DRW (7.3L Gas and 6.7L Diesel) and F-450