Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
CAT Scale results

I stopped at a state scale today(Pensacola Florida) and received the following weights. My goal is to determine the net effect of tongue weight on my truck while using a WDH. The unhitched tongue weight is 1200 using a Sherline scale. That includes (2) FULL 30 POUND lp TANKS, AND (2) Trojan T105 batteries at 48lb. each.

Tow vehicle and trailer together - 13960 lbs.
Trailer axles with tow vehicle off the scale but hitched - 6020
Tow vehicle alone, not hitched - 6760

It appears that the net effective tongue weight is 1180 lbs.

13960 - 6020 - 6760 = 1180

I would think the Blue Ox hitch would take more weight off the tongue. Am I just not understanding this process?
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. I think you need some different weights to get the right calculation.

You need your TV alone (got that, 6760 - which is a combination of your steer plus your drive axle - what are those numbers?) then you need your TV and TT across the scales without any WD applied (this will give you 3 numbers - TV steer - which will be lighter than TV steer alone because of the tongue weight, TV drive which will be heavier because of the tongue weight, and trailer axles), then your final pass is TV with TT connected and full WD applied - this will now show you how much of your TV steer loss was restored and how much was pushed off your TV drive axle to your TT axles (which will now be higher with WD applied).

From there you can calculate tongue weight.

I'll see if I can find a link to the threads that cover this in great detail - but try the search function for "cat scales" or "how do I weigh my trailer" and see what you come up with. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hi. I think you need some different weights to get the right calculation.

You need your TV alone (got that, 6760 - which is a combination of your steer plus your drive axle - what are those numbers?) then you need your TV and TT across the scales without any WD applied (this will give you 3 numbers - TV steer - which will be lighter than TV steer alone because of the tongue weight, TV drive which will be heavier because of the tongue weight, and trailer axles), then your final pass is TV with TT connected and full WD applied - this will now show you how much of your TV steer loss was restored and how much was pushed off your TV drive axle to your TT axles (which will now be higher with WD applied).

From there you can calculate tongue weight.

I'll see if I can find a link to the threads that cover this in great detail - but try the search function for "cat scales" or "how do I weigh my trailer" and see what you come up with. Good luck!!
X2 fifthwheelst.com follow 4 step tow safely plan. It does calculations for you once you put in relevant numbers. Easy to follow.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Trumpetguy - I think I sent you the link to this thread in a PM but am placing it here for the discussion and suggestiong you check out replies 44 and forward. I had something incorrect in my tongue calculations that Gammaray corrected after my post.

It can be intimidating at first but it's a really worthwhile exercise. Lots of folks will give you great insight from our scale tickets and you'll be amazed how much that helps dial in a great ride!

Good luck!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-135792-4.html
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Thank you.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote