Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Del Rio , Texas
3-way towing

I'm not sure if this is the best location for this post...but here it goes. I recently purchased a 1968 26' Overlander International. I tow this trailer with a 2008 Ford F250 V10 Pickup. I do a lot of traveling with 3-6 dogs. I also have a 6 dog Jones Dog trailer. I would like to be able to pull both trailer at once. I have never really done a 3-way tow, but I often see other people on the highway pulling a trailer with a boat, small car, or other small trailer behind their larger RV trailer. Although I have never seem anybody doing this with an AS. I realize I will have to have the receiver hitch added onto the rear of my AS, but what other considerations should I keep in mind? Is this even a good idea? Does anybody here have any experience pulling a smaller trailer behind their AS?

Thanks,
Dan
68-Ovrlndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-Ovrlndr View Post
I have never seem anybody doing this with an AS.
That says it all! The frame on the Airstream won't take the stress of the extra load.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the best location for this post...but here it goes. I recently purchased a 1968 26' Overlander International. I tow this trailer with a 2008 Ford F250 V10 Pickup. I do a lot of traveling with 3-6 dogs. I also have a 6 dog Jones Dog trailer. I would like to be able to pull both trailer at once. I have never really done a 3-way tow, but I often see other people on the highway pulling a trailer with a boat, small car, or other small trailer behind their larger RV trailer. Although I have never seem anybody doing this with an AS. I realize I will have to have the receiver hitch added onto the rear of my AS, but what other considerations should I keep in mind? Is this even a good idea? Does anybody here have any experience pulling a smaller trailer behind their AS?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,

You cannot add a hitch to the back of your 68 Airstream.

If you do, you will cause what's called the dreaded "rear end separation."

That means the rear end of the trailer frame has separated from the trailer shell. That's a bad no-no, and usually expensive to fix.

Keep in mind the strength of an Airstream is the shell, not the frame. The shell holds the frame up. Adding a hitch to the rear, will pull it away from the shell, rip apart some of the bath furniture, and in time, cause a rotterd floor at the rear.

Your 68-26 is very prone to that separation.

That same separation, can be caused by lack of proper running gear balance, excessive rated tow vehicle and/or excessive rated torsion bars.

Airstream's were designed to have a soft ride. Anything you do, to stiffen the ride, or cause unnecessary vibrations, will pay negative dividends, usually quickly.

The hub and drums on the axles, in 68, were notoriously out of balance. If the trailer was parked for a long time, other problems would surface as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,

I used to pull a 17' boat trailer with boat (about 2500 pounds) behind a 24' Argosy without problems, but I didn't do it for long. I stopped because I really didn't like it, not because I had problems.

I was towing it with a '73 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, 350 engine, and 4.10 rearend gear. The truck would pull either the Argosy, or the boat like it really wasn't there. But put the two together and it was horrible. I used a WD hitch for the Argosy with sway control (been so long ago that I don't remember which one), but with the two trailers together, sway was always an issue any time I went above 55 MPH.

I think if your dog trailer was really light, like maybe less than 1000 pounds and had a light tongue, you could probably get by with it, but from my experience, I wouldn't recommend it.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:

Thanks,
Dan

Cool - I didn't know such a thing existed. Can you give me some idea of price on these? Just a ball park??? I've been thinking of finding an old teardrop or something to use when I just want to transport my pups and this might fit the bill! Though I'm betting it exceeds my wallet right now.

Oh - and I had no idea a 3-way tow was legal. I'd be a nervous wreck doing it - especially if my pups were at the end of the chain. Course, I am very green at towing still....
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Laura,

Towing laws vary from state to state about towing multiple trailers, so check your state laws.

I saw some nice dog trailers the last time I was at the Cabela's store, so you might check there. Basically, think hunting dogs and that's where you will find them.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
If you had a newer Airstream you might be able to figure something out- but I agree with Andy (based on the trailer you have) big NO-NO! You will surely cause trouble for your trailer and as a owner of 4 fur-kids I would be way to nervous to have them out there like that. Not to mention that the trailer are good for hunting dogs- but if you are talking about throwing your house dog- pug, terrier, or other smaller dog- chances are they will hate it! And no- the other option of putting them in the trailer is not a good idea either (although not as illegal as a 3rd trailer).
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I think you would be better off with a camper shell for your truck with a crawl thur back window. 3 way towing is not legal in all states and in some states where it is legal there is a total length limit. Oklahoma allows it but total length I believe is 65 feet. I found this web site - should answer lot of questions.

Howstuffworks "Trailer Towing Regulations"

One other thing - In the information above - the max towing speed for Oklahoma is 75mph but when checking with my insurance carrier it is 60mph. There are always alot of things to consider when towing, Especially going from state-to-state.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote