Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
East Woodstock , Connecticut
2018 F-150 Mirror Questions

Two years absorbing wisdom from the forum, first-time post. My wife and I are happily planning to explore in our 2015 19' International. We are ready to move from a 4-Runner to a 2018 F-150 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Axle, Max Tow package. I'm considering the XLT vs the Lariat model due to a nearly $7k price difference. My challenge is the XLT cannot be ordered with both the BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) and the power telescoping tow mirrors (the Lariat does have power telescoping, BLIS, tow mirrors). I am considering adding the tow mirrors as an aftermarket accessory may be a good solution. My current dealer is NOT interested in installing the Ford telescoping mirrors post-purchase.

My question regards the best options to order from the factory, should I order the BLIS with cross traffic alert and Trailer Coverage and attempt to replace with Power telescoping, BLIS, tow mirrors? Or should I order the manual telescoping tow mirrors and attempt to replace with Power telescoping, BLIS, tow mirrors? I've read online that all F-150 models come with the same mirror wiring harness, but I'm unsure of this. I also am unsure of how complicated this change is, and if other dealers/shops will be able to complete.

I know that I need the telescoping mirrors and am assuming that the power folding and BLIS features are going to be important as I'm towing. So at this point, I'm really up in the air as to the best mirrors to order. Thanks for any advice.
stream19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
If you have power folding you won’t need power telescoping. There’s no reason to move them in and out, just leave them out all the time.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
No big deal to pull out the tow mirrors, or fold them in when needed. You still get the running lights w blinkers...

2017 XLT 3.5 Eco 10speed.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
The OP wants telescoping mirrors that extend out further than the standard mirrors (not just folding mirrors) AND he wants the BLIS (blind spot information system) that warns of other vehicles in adjacent lanes. The problem is that Ford doesn't allow you to get both options on an XLT; you can get EITHER manual telescoping mirrors OR the BLIS system, not both. Leaving the mirrors folded or not folded isn't relevant to his dilemma as I understand it.

To the OP, I suspect you'll find that retrofitting power telescoping mirrors or the BLIS system after purchase will be difficult and expensive if not impossible, especially with regard to BLIS since I'm almost certain that would require different computer firmware and software. If you want to stay with an XLT you'd probably be best off ordering BLIS and then adding aftermarket extension mirrors.

I expect you've worked the build and price feature on the Ford website, and I might be missing something, but it looks to me like the base difference between an XLT and Lariat is more like $4K, rather than $7K (the difference between the XL and the Lariat is closer to $7K). $4K is not insignificant, but you do get a fair amount of extra standard features which are kind of nice. I'm going to guess that trying to retrofit the options you want with parts, labor, and other necessary mods will end up costing a big chunk of the $4k that you would be saving with an XLT. Good luck with your choices.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
We opted for the Lariat trim package on our 2017 F250 because it gave us BLIS and the extendable tow mirrors. After 6 months of full-time travel, I find that I'm not paying much attention to the BLIS and never extend my mirrors. We've not yet had any incidents towing our 28' Flying Cloud. I will say that I really appreciate being able to fold my mirrors in when traveling on narrow roads and when parked in tight spaces. I also appreciate the rear facing camera on the trailer.
Free Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
AVS
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Chino Hills , California
If your thoughts on these features are purely in regards to towing, then I would think about getting the tow mirrors and forego the BLIS system. Although I do have BLIS and occassionly use it when towing, I find that having a rear view camera on the trailer is much more useful.
If you can see a vehicle behind and to the side, you can quickly and easily tell if you are clear to change lanes.
If you can only choose one or the other, think about the mirrors.

If you don't have or want the rear view camera, then my point is moot 😊

Either way, enjoy your new truck!
AVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
If any particular model has the choice of either option, you can get this or that, then the wiring is there for both. The cost is minimal and leaving it out on specific vehicles would only slow down the assembly line process
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
2016 Ford F-150 @ BLIS

When I plug in my trailer to the F-150 the BLIS shuts off with a warning that you have to press the OK button for the message to go away.

I looked for extendable + BLIS mirrors, found them for $2,500, and passed. I just use the slip-on CEPA mirrors. Works for me for now. I may change out the OEM mirrors with BLIS for extendable tow mirrors without BLIS in the future.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The BLIS is nice-ish, I guess, but with the towing mirrors adjusted probably you really don't have a blind spot. Even without the trailer, those mirrors are fantastic. The large convex section at the bottom arcs to the point that vehicles are visible to you without the mirror while they're still showing in the mirror.

For me the only downside of the big honking mirrors is the fact that when I drive the car I feel like its mirrors are miniscule! I went with the Lariat for the around-view camera and LED headlights, and I wouldn't trade those features for $4k, though if you compare feature-to-feature you're getting way more other toys for the price difference.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I went through the same thinking process with a 2017 XLT (lower price AND better payload!)...

I went with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fit System 81850 Snap and Zap Tow Mirror Pair (2015 and Up F150)

There are lots of add-on mirrors out there, but I don't know how they can beat this. They are literally seconds to put on and off, look great installed, and do a good job for scanning traffic coming along side the trailer.

FWIW...
davloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Thanks for all the suggestions. There are many pros and cons to consider.

To address the pricing issue that mikeinca noted, the difference between the XLT and Lariat is appx. $4K on the Ford build website, I did not mention that there are appx. $3K of cash incentives available on the XLT and not the Lariat. According to my dealer this will not likely change. Fords pricing and incentive programs are for a different thread. Thanks again for all of the great insights.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
2016 F150 XTL here (power, heated, auto dimming regular mirrors but not BLIS). When I priced out swapping my power mirrors for power towing mirrors the cost was about $2700.

So, I bought a pair of manual extend/manual fold genuine Ford towing mirrors for under $300 from a Ford dealer. When I prep for a trip I swap out my mirrors, takes 5 minutes. Pop off one panel, unplug the harness and take our 2 screws and 2 nuts. When I return from the trip I switch back. Adds very little to the overall trip prep.

To me it provides the best of both worlds since when not towing I have all the bells and whistles on reasonably small mirrors and when I am towing I have all the visibility. I do not find that any of the power stuff matters when I am towing anyway.

Between the 1/2 acre tow mirrors and the AS rear view camera I can see just fine.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
I have a 2018 Lariat with regular mirrors and BLIS. The truck is still relatively new but so far I have been completely satisfied with the visibility offered by the smaller mirrors. I'm sure visibility would be even better if you add the clip-ons like others have suggested.

I had the larger tow mirrors on my F250 and haven't missed them. They are big mirrors that stick out even in the most retracted settings, and you have to keep an eye on them when driving next to other large vehicles in traffic.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I have a 2017 F-150 Lariat with BLIS and power extending/folding mirrors. I love the truck overall, but unlike some folks here, I find that the mirrors do not provide an adequate view of the road behind the trailer, even when fully extended. Vehicles behind me are blocked from view by the trailer once they get closer than an eight of a mile or so. Driving the truck alone, they're fine, but when towing, I wish they'd extend another six inches.

As for the BLIS, it's a good idea, but the small amber dots in the far outboard corners of the mirrors are easily overlooked. I'd prefer larger indicators located closer to the base of the mirror, and hence to the driver's normal field of vision.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Mirrors are important for sure. I did not have tow mirrors on my F150 Platinum; I bought the CEPA mirrors: 2015-2018 Ford F150 Towing Mirror- CIPA 11551 & 11552 on Amazon (around $50 bucks). My buddy has a Lariat model with the manual tow mirrors; couple observations: the Lariat model is nicer equipped then the XLT for sure. The tow mirrors are nice, but a pain since they are also manual. The CIPAS would be my recommendation with the F150 if not power from the factory. Maybe more costly to add those power mirrors after market. The CEPA mirrors worked great, are inexpensive, and were easy on/easy off. Not sure cost/compatibility of power add on mirrors aftermarket?

My F250 King Ranch has all the bells including power extend tow mirrors. I like that I can fold when in tight spots, like my garage or when traveling in tight traffic. They (F250 mirrors) do stick out father then the F150 mirrors with the tow mirror CEPA extensions but that's the F250 package I live with.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have the Bliss System with the 2017 XLT. I really like it. Not just for towing, but when driving in traffic in the city without the trailer. Good Blind Spot detection. I bought the add on mirrors and they work fine. With the rear view camera (essential in my mind), you really have a pretty good handle on traffic. The only time the rear camera is not good is at night and when it is raining. I think I priced out what it would cost to change the mirrors on my 2017 and it was something around $700. Not worth it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I just installed these. http://syppo.com/2015-2018-ford-f150...p-half-chrome/
Took about an hour and they seem great. I read one review that said the shook but I don’t see that at all.
I’d do it again esp for the price.
Good luck
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Driving in heavy traffic not towing I find the blind spot detection invaluable. Very hard to spot those low roofline sedans beside the truck when changing lanes to the right, especially if one has to move over quickly in traffic. Power extending is awesome. I often forget about the mirrors until the first time notice when underway. Now I just push a button. Previously had to find somewhere to pull over or just drive on without adequate rear view vision. Get the Lariat and don't wish you did later.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Thanks, interesting solution. Are the mirrors really that easy to swap?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #20
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
You should ask over at f150forum.com

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote