Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
san pedro , CA
2017 Ford Ultimate Trailer Camera & TPMS

After 2 years of trying to figure out which AS to buy, we committed on a 2018 Tommy Bahama.

Would like to use Ford's trailer camera & TPMS systems which integrate into the truck, but do not want a wire running on the outside of the AS up to the hitch area (wife will kill me) ....anybody have any experience with installing this so the wire is not visible....will the factory cooperate if it is not in production to install it?

Thanks
Airdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Richmond , British Columbia
I just took delivery last week of a 2017 F350 Super Duty with the rear camera and TPMS. The Ford dealer have never seen one before so I didn't want them touching my trailer for the install. I have booked mine into an AS dealer that has a good service rep (not the dealer I bought mine from) and sent them a lot of info so they can read up prior to the install. My 27FB has the rear camera system already installed so I'll end up with two rear cameras, and plan on having one aimed down the road and one towards the ground for back-up assist (though the wife is great for backing me up).
Agree with you on the wiring...too bad Ford didn't go wireless with this.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
I also have a 2017 F350 with the trailer camera and TPMS system. I haven't installed the TPMS yet, but I have installed the camera on the rear of my AS. I ran the wire underneath along the frame and attached it to the frame. It works really well.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2017 Ford Ultimate Trailer Camera & TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
I also have a 2017 F350 with the trailer camera and TPMS system. I haven't installed the TPMS yet, but I have installed the camera on the rear of my AS. I ran the wire underneath along the frame and attached it to the frame. It works really well.

Where did you mount the camera it self?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Quote:
I ran the wire underneath along the frame and attached it to the frame. It works really well.
I am interested in how you got the camera wire from the camera mount position to underneath the frame?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Where did you mount the camera it self?
I have it temporarily mounted below the license plate so I can easily remove the camera. I prefer to have it above the rear window below the clearance lights, but haven't worked up the courage to install it there yet. I prefer not to drill into the AS shell if possible. I'll post pics when I come up with a way to install it above the window.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by abone View Post
I am interested in how you got the camera wire from the camera mount position to underneath the frame?
I ran it into the bottom of the rear bumper and drilled a hole in the cover. I insulated the holes I drilled with thick rubber gromets to protect the wire. It works so far. Long trip (2000 total miles) coming up in September so that will be the test of the stability of the setup.

I'm not the first person to want this, but I wish there was a way to have the camera on when driving to check what's going on behind the AS. I know there are wireless camera systems that allow this feature.

I also with the Ford trailer tpms reported temperatures as well as tire pressure.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Quote:
I ran it into the bottom of the rear bumper and drilled a hole in the cover. I insulated the holes I drilled with thick rubber gromets to protect the wire. It works so far. Long trip (2000 total miles) coming up in September so that will be the test of the stability of the setup.

I'm not the first person to want this, but I wish there was a way to have the camera on when driving to check what's going on behind the AS. I know there are wireless camera systems that allow this feature.

I also with the Ford trailer tpms reported temperatures as well as tire pressure.
This is why I wanted to have two cameras. The Airstream system I have now is wireless and the camera is mounted high up, pointed down the road. The screen is on all the time. The Ford camera will be a backup camera only.

Would it be possible to post a pic on how you mounted the camera and the wiring routing to the bumper? You said you didn't drill a hole in the shell so am interested in how you attached the camera. Thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
san pedro , CA
Did you attach the camera low on the trailer rather than up top? Never mind ...read too fast...I like the idea of leaving the AS camera up hi and mounting the Ford Camera low. Perfect
Airdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
National City , California
Smile

I mounted ours inside looking out the rear window, ran the wire loom through the inside and then out at the front floor where other wires were going out toward hitch.
Went pretty easy, I spent more time thinking about it and planning the run than the install took.
I did not want to drill holes in the skin!
NordSailOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
I also have a new 2017 F-150 Lariat with the max trailer tow package and a bunch more technology but my dealer had no clue about an integrated trailer TPMS. Sounds like it much be an accessory that plugs in next to the 7 blade railer plug and includes rear camera and a wire to the A-Frame for a TPMS receiver and the added valve stem sensors.

If that's it, what does it cost for part? Sounds like I should install myself.

Ford should include this on their max tow package or at least show it as an option when selecting accessories.

Thanks!
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
The TPMS cannot be used on steel carcass tires

This is an exact quote from the Ford installation instructions. Pretty bummed, since my new F250 superduty has the integrated system that would let me avoid another monitor in the cab. Was one of the key features I wanted in my TV. Checking on the Ford forums, there is a mixed view on whether the system would work fine in most cases, and it's just Ford making sure they CYA. But also some folks speculate that this steel can mess up the signal transmission. I'll keep up to date on this topic, but I'm not spending the money and hassle of install, only to then have to live with non working system. My Michelin LT tires have two steel belts as well as polymer cords......will buy an alternate TPMS probably the simple flow through design. Anyone got strong opinions on various options??

Alex
a1ofm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
I also have a new 2017 F-150 Lariat with the max trailer tow package and a bunch more technology but my dealer had no clue about an integrated trailer TPMS. Sounds like it much be an accessory that plugs in next to the 7 blade railer plug and includes rear camera and a wire to the A-Frame for a TPMS receiver and the added valve stem sensors.

If that's it, what does it cost for part? Sounds like I should install myself.

Ford should include this on their max tow package or at least show it as an option when selecting accessories.

Thanks!
Jim
I believe it was a $725 option on our 2017 F-250.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ofm View Post
This is an exact quote from the Ford installation instructions. Pretty bummed, since my new F250 superduty has the integrated system that would let me avoid another monitor in the cab. Was one of the key features I wanted in my TV. Checking on the Ford forums, there is a mixed view on whether the system would work fine in most cases, and it's just Ford making sure they CYA. But also some folks speculate that this steel can mess up the signal transmission. I'll keep up to date on this topic, but I'm not spending the money and hassle of install, only to then have to live with non working system. My Michelin LT tires have two steel belts as well as polymer cords......will buy an alternate TPMS probably the simple flow through design. Anyone got strong opinions on various options??

Alex
Not sure if the tires on our 2017 Airstream Classic are steel belted or not but the TPMS does work for us.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
Ford trailer TPMS and steel carcass tires

Thanks Nord for the info. Great to know your system is working.

I have a 2017 Classic too. Tires are Michelin LT 225/75R16.

Part of their construction is promoted as being benefited from combining 2 steel belts alongside other polymeric structure.

I'm guessing AS installed same tires on all model year, so I should be OK and the caution from Ford is likely overblown.

They do make a blanket statement on the install instructions that reads;

"Note: The TPMS sensors cannot be used on steel carcass tires"

Thanks again for the insight.

Alex
Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
I would not trust any dealers for much. If I had a new truck would not feel good with them working on it to begin with. Let me fully understand your situation here. I think you are wanting the camera on your AS to be used on the monitor that is already part of your truck. If this is the situation forget it because if you get lucky and get it working in beginning it will gave you trouble later on. You could even lose your monitor completely in truck someday who knows. Leave well enough alone and be thankful you have a new truck to begin with. Just put AS monitor in temporary place for towing and take out when not using. Keep us informed of how this comes out.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Glen Allen , Virginia
thanks for the interest, but no, i am only interested in the TPMS system, not the camera. I can buy either or both. And you are correct that the dealer has limited knowledge. and even less interest in tackling a basic install..so i will end up with an aftermarket system, that will work without having to remove and disassemble wheels and tires, and does not claim incompatibility with common tires....Ford! You have had record reductions in sales...really! why do you make it so difficult for loyal customers to access basic facilities such as trailer TPMS because your General Counsel indulged in the "parade of imaginary horribles" and persuaded you to disclaim use of a basic feature that works just fine. Jeez. Let the engineers run things, not the lawyers!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ofm View Post
"Note: The TPMS sensors cannot be used on steel carcass tires"
Hmmm, I wonder if people are reading more into this than it deserves. I'm not a tire expert, but reading that I've done on tire construction often uses two terms: tire carcass and belts. Don't know if someone at Ford is using the term incorrectly and really meant "steel belted tires". Goodyear at least does manufacture a steel carcass tire - the Unisteel G133/G159/G171 Truck/SUV Tire. It is reported as a very tough tire. So with many people putting LT tires on trailers, if you use one of these, then the sensor may not get picked up.
Totally containing a radio transmitter inside metal will definitely impede the signal. But don't most tires have rubber and fabric as the sidewall? That shouldn't have much impact on the signal.
I would expect that they are using the same transmitter that is in the truck tires which does not monitor temperature, so it doesn't surprise me that the trailer sensors won't report temperature.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
MidTown RV, the AS dealer in Penticton BC installed my system last week.
TPMS works as it should, required a short drive to set and read the pressures.
Mounted the Ford camera down low, as the AS camera is up high aimed down the road.
We ended up drilling one hole for the Ford camera, behind the license plate, well sealed with a grommet. The tech did a great job in fabricating a bracket out of aluminum which he attached to the existing license plate bracket.
He ran the wire down behind the skin, under the belly pans at the rear, then out to the front.
Real pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedFullSizeRender[346]_LI.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	287309   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_6082[345]_LI.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	287310  

Old 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if people are reading more into this than it deserves. I'm not a tire expert, but reading that I've done on tire construction often uses two terms: tire carcass and belts. Don't know if someone at Ford is using the term incorrectly and really meant "steel belted tires". Goodyear at least does manufacture a steel carcass tire - the Unisteel G133/G159/G171 Truck/SUV Tire. It is reported as a very tough tire. So with many people putting LT tires on trailers, if you use one of these, then the sensor may not get picked up.
Totally containing a radio transmitter inside metal will definitely impede the signal. But don't most tires have rubber and fabric as the sidewall? That shouldn't have much impact on the signal.
I would expect that they are using the same transmitter that is in the truck tires which does not monitor temperature, so it doesn't surprise me that the trailer sensors won't report temperature.

I just installed the Ford TPMS option on my 2017 Classic and 250 last week. The sensors are different than those on the truck according to the guy in the parts dept when I bought one extra sensor for the spare. I had the local discount tire install the sensors. I installed the new harness and receiver - it was a breeze. System works as advertised
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote