Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

25C 6 sleeper black tank

Anyone know why the black tank on the 6 sleeper is smaller than the other floor plans? Seems to me it should be larger. Also, do you know if factory can install a larger one if you order one built?
SASS #41766
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:26 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sounds like it might be an issue of the positioning of the toilet which forces the black water tank to be in a different area of the frame. That would be the only reason I can think of.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:46 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Melvin,

I'd double check with A/S on this just to be sure. The reason I say this is that the website, the sales brouchure and the actual sticker said vastly different things when I was looking at the Bambi (dealer hadn't a clue either). In the end, a call to A/S answered the question.

Jack is right, the head on the 6 sleeper is in the back like the Bambi (which is also the same size tank). The other Safaris have it midcenter.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #4

Safari C model

I have spent a lot of time on this because i wanted to buy this model. Because the C has both the dinette and the couch they have scrimped on the bathroom - by placing it in the rear they had to forfeit the larger black water tank. The other issue I have with this model is that other sleepers have to come through the master bedroom to use the bathroom and the sink is outside of the bathroom. So I am leaning toward the other25 foot models.
rtierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
My '99 6-sleeper has a 23 gallon black tank and the newer models show an 18 gallon tank...not sure why the difference as the floorplan is the same.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Practically speaking the black water tank fills more slowly than the grey water tank. By the time we run out of water the grey is getting full but the black still has room for more... so we dump and refill. So far we have not had to visit the dump station early because the 18 gallon (23, or whatever it is) black tank filled first.

Whatever the tank sizes - they are never big enough. Except when you are towing up a mountain - when they are all too big, at 7 lbs/gallon water is heavy!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Standarizing is the reason

Starting in midyear '02 production, A/S standardized all the bathroom plumbing and tanks that were of the same layout. So all the units with the rear bathroom (ie 19' Bambi, 25'SS, 25'CCD) the black tank is 18 gallons. As Silvertwinkie stated, information is confusing on the matter. The switchover on the 19' Bambi occurred on MY unit # J514492. My window sticker said 8 gallon black tank, the brochure said 18gallon, so I called A/S. They looked up the serial # vs production run and told me that mine was the first 18 gallon black tank on the 19' Bambi and that they had standardized things to make production more consistent and cost effective. The switch on the 25'SS occurred during that same period.

I can concur that the 18 gallon has not shown to be a problem. Just remember that all that is going into the black tank is what you put into the toilet.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

18 gallons has been enough.

It seems that the 18 gallon black water capacity is plenty for us. We've never had the 18 gallon black water tank capacity be an issue with 2 adults and 2 teens camping for as long as a week. The gray water tank capacity is always an issue. Constantly reminding the kids to take very water-efficient showers. I'm thinking of getting one of those small rollaway gray water tanks . . . if I can figure out where to store it. I'd like to put it under the trailer next to the sewer pipe holder. Any ideas as to how to secure one would be appreciated.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:24 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
25 SS bath / Bambi Bath size

Can anyone tell me if they know if the 25 SS bath is the same size as the Bambi Bath. We are considering a bigger trailer and the 25SS looks nice. However, I would like a bigger bath than our current Bambi 2001. Can comments would be appreciatted.

Thank You,

BobCaldwell
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:42 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bob,

Coming from a Bambi as well, I know exactly what you're talking about. I just ordered an '04 Safari 6 sleeper about 3-4 weeks ago.....

I have to say that I believe that the bathroom in the 6 sleepers is close to identical if not totally identical to that of the Bambi. The trade off is that it has a 4" wider bed (due to the Safari 6 sleeper being the wider body coach comparted to the Bambi).

Given the amount of time I spend in the head, I tend to accept it. The shower I find is very spacious.......for me, I'd liked having more bed space than head space.

Eric
Old 10-13-2003, 07:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Silvertwinkie,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it might be just a bit bigger. I took the toilet in our Bambi and turned it slightly toward the shower to give a little more leg room. It would be nice to have just another 3 or 4 inches. I too think the shower is more than adequate. Do you think that those few inches on the bed will make a noticeable difference? I would tend to think you would notice it. I do like the 25SS model except for the maybe the bath. Did you every look at the 28SO model and if so do you think it is worth the additional dollars? Thanks again for the input.

Bob Caldwell
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:11 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, a few more inches would be nice. Even at 5'7, it can be a bit tight. I think that 4" in the bed would be a slight improvement. If you are used to the current 48" configuration, bed, 52" can't hurt any more than that.

As for the 28' S/O or non S/O, I believe it really boils down matter of desire and use.

My opinion is simply that I do like the layout of the 28' Safaris and I really like the proposed 30'. The thing that struck me about the 25' SS is that it appears to have a bit more wardrobe space compared to the Bambi and some of the other Safari line. For me, I could go bigger, but the 6 sleeper more than meets or exceeds what I am needing in a trailer now, and in the future (8-10 years out) Plus, then to me there is the cost....at the price of the 28' Safaris, you start to get well into the Classic range.

There is that one big shortcoming and it is the bathroom. Speaking strictly myself, I was happy to accept that shortcoming for the larger unit, both couch and dinette, more storage (gobs more compared to the Bambi), dual sink, dual fridge, dual axle, more windows (mostly larger than the Bambi), etc. That's what did it for me. I should have my SS in mid December.

Regards,

Eric
Old 10-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
28 versus 25

we love camping in state parks and from what we were told many parks limit RV to max 25'. That was a clear signal to us, so we chose the 25'.

The 28 does have a larger bathroom which is accessible to everyone without having to go through the bedroom, which can be a nuisance especially at night. Although the shower in the 28' opens up right into the trailer. I personally dislike that, everyone sees you in your robe. In our 25' you can get dressed in the bth room (it's tight but I do it all the time if we have guests over) and walk out all prepared. Also you can close the bedroom separation screen and have some extra room. Just wish they had put it PAST the wardrobe not before so I could access it when changing, that was not too bright of AS.
Plus in the 28' you can walk around the bed, great extra space right there. Also easier to make it. A problem in the 25'.

As far as all the rest goes, it really does not have anything more than the 25', so unless these two things are really important for you I'm not sure an extra $15,000 are justified.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Bob, the 28so also will require "more" of a tow vehicle if that's an issue...9100 lbs vs 6300 lbs gvwr for the 25c... Luke
luke warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
I hate the small enclosure for the toilet as well. I also hate the room seperator for the rear bed area from the rest of the coach. Solution when you want privacy and do not want to have everyone enjoying the view.

The rail runner for the room seperator is perfect for putting those large shower curtain hooks on. Buy a single curtain with those big loops at the top - hook them through the shower hooks, and then you can have the door wide open and a single pane is enough to cover from the streetside to the door...

Also adds a ahem decorative flair....
Old 10-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just curious are there two room seperaters on the 28' Safari? I know our '01 27' unit had two. One for the bedroom and one further forward that would allow the bathroom, hallway, closets and bedroom to be closed off from the kitchen and forward sections of the trailer. We used to close this which gave lots of room for dressing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote