Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question Black tank flush....

OK, I'm hearing about "black tank flush" as a (capital C) Cool Thing on the new Airstreams.

Sounds like something that runs water into the black tank to clean it out. Duh! Ain't I the bright one?!

So here's my idea - I've got a black tank drain on the left corner of the trailer, and a vent pipe coming out of the black tank on the right corner - the opposite side of the tank.

Seems to me like water put down the vent pipe would flow across the bottom of the tank and out the drain, carrying with it any solid matter.

So, where to get extra water? How about the grey water tank? Wouldn't it be possible to put the 12 volt RV version of a trash pump to draw out of the grey water tank (setting the pickup a couple of inches from the bottom, to avoid drawing big chunks of stuff into the pump) and pump it down the vent (thru a T fitting near the bottom of the vent) to flush out the black tank?

I'm sure this has been thought of before, and proven to be a Really Bad Idea, for several reasons. I'm just curious why!

Thanks!

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The only reason I can think of is cost. A black tank flush system like is being installed is a $5.00 cost for parts and $20 labor cost to build it in. Who knows what the markup on it is. I do not think you really need a macerator pump. As long as you are using an impeller based pump anything that gets pulled in still gets shredded. A diaphram sytyle could get stuff stuck in the valves.

You solution sounds elegant, and should work as long as seal/mount/install it all with safety and stability in mind. I would not even worry about getting the fitting into the tank, just having it dump into the vent tube should work.

With all of that being said I would suggest some type of safety so the pump cannot move water into the black tank without the valve being open, or you not being aware. Maybe a headlight warning buzzer hooked to the power switch so you know it is on? There should be no need for a check valve as there is one in the pump.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Or just a momentary switch...

...on the pump, so you have to keep your thumb on it to have it run....

"Your solution sounds elegant, ..." Blush! I'm so flattered! Thanks!
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, what seems to work well for us is simply placing the chemicals in the tank the start to break down the stuff in there.

Then we purge that first and the grey tank next. At home, we have a sewer line poke through. I fill the tanks two times and flush them out completely.

Of course, you need a poke throught to make it work. The reason I did this was because most dump sites that I have been to don't have a threaded connector (which I thought the black flush used). Since I didn't want to drag a dumpstation hose through the Bambi, I figured I'd do it at home where I know where the hose has been and I can control some of the variables.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
At the present time we are using a Flush King for our tanks. It appears to work very well & we avoid taking a fill hose in the trailer. The clear fitting allows one to see when the tanks are clean. I have been seriously considering to have a Black Water Flush added when we go to Jackson Center this Fall & talked today to A-S ( Rick ) regarding costs. It's now between the Flush or Fantastic Fan. Most likely it will be the fan, as I think the Flush King will do the "job". Also when talking to A-S today I tried to get from them what all ( meals, etc) is covered in the costs. They appeared to be REALLY unorganized for the event, as they had no idea what may be covered. They did however make a quick charge to the CC. Perhaps a Pig in the Poke?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:24 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What was the cost of the flush? I also talked to Rick and got a ballpark on the Fantastic Fan (which for sure is going in-- I just don't know if I want two since the Bambi as poor cross ventilation.

Eric
Old 07-31-2003, 08:53 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I have been using the Flush King for a couple of months and think it works really well. Totally eliminates need to drag hose into trailer, and gives a good visual check as to cleanliness of the tank.

Eric, I have only one Fantastic Fan in my Bambi, above the dinette/Galley area. With the rear vent slightly open, we get very good "all trailer" ventilation, blowing in or out. With the two vents only about 8' apart, I think two Fantastic Fans might be slight overkill (except for the rain sensing feature). On a longer trailer, I could certainly see the benefit.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rick, thanks for the input on your exp with the fantastic fan. I kind of get my eyes bigger than my stomach when I think of improving things!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:27 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have 2 fans and a much larger trailer than a Bambi. My interest in two fans was purely based on volume of air. Two can exhaust more than one. Plain and simple. Two fans really wouldn't be overkill if your interest is moving air. Sometimes the motion is what keeps you cool, especially when the outside temp is pretty warm.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
2 Fans in Bambi question

I have been contemplating putting in another Fantastic Fan in our 19'. Part of the reasoning is the auto closure in case of rain as well as the added ventilation of either both pulling or a push/pull operation. Has anyone done this on a 19' Bambi yet? I am curious if there is wiring at the vent or will I just need to pull a new wire from the adjacent ceiling light.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Rick at A-S quoted me "around" $400 for the Flush installed. Said they would have to remove the belly pan for the install. I agree that the Flush King appears to work well. No hoses in the trailer & with the clear view elbow connection you can tell when the system is clean. So most likely we will go with the Fantastic Fan at $425. It will have the rain sensor, which will be nice if we need to leave the Mr. Turbo in-residence for a short period. I would think that with a 19' , leving a window open & running the fan on exhaust would be adaquate. Btw, has anyone else had problems with Rick/ A-S not returning calls? Took me 3 days to get thru to Rick, as he would not return calls, even after another worker told me he had my name ,telephone #, on his desk & was to call. When I findly talked to him, I wished I hadn't as he was very unpleasent & not really helpful. Kinda cheapens the A-S thing for me. Anyway so goes life.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Black flush install

A.E.
I am surprised that A/S feels it make it easier to pull the belly pan than to work just from the lavatory area. When I had my lav area out, I could clearly see and reach all the black flush components. The inlet to the black tank is just at floor level toward the curbside wall. There is a hose that goes upto a vacuum breaker mounted on the wall just below the lav counter and then out to the outside connection. They will have to pull the lav area out anyway to do the installation of the plumbing. I will take another look at mine when I bring the Bambi home for next week's trip. Clearly the time to do the black tank is before it is installed, but given that I had no problems cutting the opening for the Thermasan probe (1 3/4") I see no reason why A/S could not do the same. I just used my right angle drill and a boring bit. I did have to angle the bit down some to get it as low on the tank as possible, but the tank is only a fraction of an inch thick, so the slight angle was immaterial. The black tank flush inlet was only a few inches away and at the same height as the opening I drilled. If I can can get some decent pics, I will send them to you. (I failed to takes pics while I was doing the Thermasan installation...stupid me)
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote