Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Ouch!!

Okay, I did a STUPID this morning. As you can see from the pic, aluminum vs wood...wood wins. I was backing my A/S into the driveway to prep it for the upcoming weekend rally. I have done this many times and know my landmarks, but somehow I was not paying attention and backed right into the eve of the garage. Not even a scratch on the eve, but the aluminum panels of the A/S were another story. I had been thinking about a trip to the factory but the warranty items were so minor that it did not make sense...until now. I have a visit scheduled for Oct 20 to replace the creased panels and do the warranty stuff. I also have the factory looking into upgrading me to a dual battery config as in the '03/04 models. The factory says about $1800-$2000 for the damaged end panels, but my insurance will cover all but $500. I really felt stupid and just so that it is clear, I was just crawling backward when the A/S hit the eve, so it does NOT take much force to do a LOT of damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_0034lr.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	3105  
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Oh no!

I feel your pain!!! Ouch!!! Sorry...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Angry

that's bad...

but he'll soon look sharp again!

cheer up! it happens to all of us. Thank God it's repairable.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Sorry about the dent too. Just wondering, what are the minor warranty items that you have found? Will you have them fixed as well when you take her in?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Minor warranty items

The items on my list are small and alone would never have justified a trip to the factory, but while I am there, YES, they will be fixed. Here is a list of those items

1) When my trailer is perfectly level (ie side to side, front to back), the AC condensate will NOT drain, so it backs up and then starts dripping on the inside. This should be an easy fix and one that I had intended to do myself, but what the heck, I will the factory take care of it.

2) The bracket that holds up the galley extension has broken. I think it may be inadequate for the weight of the Corian so I am going to ask A/S what other ideas they have.

3) It also appears that A/S forgot to attach the galley end wall to the counter top. Again the weight of the Corian galley extension brought this to light as you can see the wall move at the top when you raise the extension and especially when you put any weight on the extension.

4) I almost forgot, I am going to have them replace the bathroom door mechanism with the type on the 2004. The one in our unit barely holds the door and it just plain cheap. The type showing up in the '04 units looks like a FAR better design

All the other little things that were less than perfect, I already fixed or replaced during the makeover of our Bambi.

I am going to have them change out my single battery box for the newer dual battery arrangement. While I am there I am going to pick up some replacement latches (ours has the cool, push to lock recessed types), an additional reading light to install on the curbside above the sofa and I may have them install a second Fantastic Fan.
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548
Old 09-17-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Ouch

Sorry to see the hurt. But your doing the right thing by taking it to the factory. I have the 2001 Bambi (which you have already sent some info on the bunk bed). I had a problem with the four front curved panels and elected to go to Jackson Center and have them do the work. It was done so well that you really don't know the panels have been replaced. I am sure they will do outstanding work on your couch as well. Let us know how it turns outs.

Take Care,

bob caldwell
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Are the broken brackets the clear plastic type? Our wardrobe was held by only two of these, both snapped and the wardrobe came away from the wall (and the galley). Why AS used plastic is amazing to me considering the job they are required to do.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
No not plastic

No, the bracket is metal, but just not upto the task of supporting a heavy Corian extension (almost 15#s, just by itself). Not only are the brackets inadequate, they were held into the composite wood galley wall with only 3 wood screws on each bracket and one side totally pulled out during our last outing allowing that side of the extension to fall and twisting the other bracket which is when it failed. I intend to have the new supports installed with flat washers and lock nuts on the back side. All the brackets and supports in our '02 are either wood or metal and I have pretty much been thru the whole rig during the makeover. I do agree with your statement about using cheap components. Given that A/S has the luxury of doing things right and charging accordingly, it is without excuse for them to do otherwise. I am planning to visit the new Director of Quality (less than 6 months on the job). He is a former member of our local unit and I am very interested to hear his perspective on the culture change that he was charter to "engineer". Should be an interesting visit.
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548