Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 6
Ottawa Owner - Parking on Driveway length measurement

Hello Ottawa AS owners,

Can anyone confirm the bylaw of parking RV trailer on your own driveway, how is the length is measured?

I saw people mentioned on this Forum that bylaws only measure the body length? but I could not find any info on city website.

Thanks,
Hongyan
Ericca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericca View Post
Hello Ottawa AS owners,



Can anyone confirm the bylaw of parking RV trailer on your own driveway, how is the length is measured?



I saw people mentioned on this Forum that bylaws only measure the body length? but I could not find any info on city website.



Thanks,

Hongyan


The City of Ottawa Zoning By-law 2008-250 appears to define an RV as a heavy vehicle if it is more than 6 metres (19í8Ē or so) long. In that case it must be parked in a side or rear yard.

I didnít see anything from a quick read of the text of the by-law or in the definitions that specifies how length is measured. I can only assume that it would be from the coupler to the back bumper. However, a by-law enforcement officer might decide to measure just the body of a trailer. Or he might eyeball it and conclude it complies with the by-law. They have discretion.

I donít know about Ottawa practices, but most local enforcement in Canadian municipalities is by complaint, not as a result of active patrols. Most pursue compliance, and only write tickets if you persist in creating an issue for them.

This is not any kind of legal advice, just observations from experience.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post

I didnít see anything from a quick read of the text of the by-law or in the definitions that specifies how length is measured. I can only assume that it would be from the coupler to the back bumper. However, a by-law enforcement officer might decide to measure just the body of a trailer. Or he might eyeball it and conclude it complies with the by-law. They have discretion.

I donít know about Ottawa practices, but most local enforcement in Canadian municipalities is by complaint, not as a result of active patrols. Most pursue compliance, and only write tickets if you persist in creating an issue for them.

This is not any kind of legal advice, just observations from experience.
Thanks, I searched a few threads mentioned the same thing that it is up to the enforcement office to decide how is measured, this kinds of annoying in my decision on what trailer to buy. It is just too much hassle to park your trailer in a storage.
Ericca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
The City of Ottawa Zoning By-law 2008-250 appears to define an RV as a heavy vehicle if it is more than 6 metres (19í8Ē or so) long. In that case it must be parked in a side or rear yard.

I didnít see anything from a quick read of the text of the by-law or in the definitions that specifies how length is measured. I can only assume that it would be from the coupler to the back bumper. However, a by-law enforcement officer might decide to measure just the body of a trailer. Or he might eyeball it and conclude it complies with the by-law. They have discretion.

I donít know about Ottawa practices, but most local enforcement in Canadian municipalities is by complaint, not as a result of active patrols. Most pursue compliance, and only write tickets if you persist in creating an issue for them.

This is not any kind of legal advice, just observations from experience.

@Hongyan - Check the definition of side yard. It may start at the front of the house.


Al
__________________
ďYou cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,019
Ottawa Owner - Parking on Driveway length measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
@Hongyan - Check the definition of side yard. It may start at the front of the house.


Al
From the Ottawa zoning by-law definitions section:

interior side yard setback which means the shortest distance between the side lot line not abutting a street and any part of a building between the front and rear yards


So yes, the side yard would start at the front of the house.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar
 
2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,982
in Ottawa, they only check if there is a complaint

we had a complaint from a bad neighbor, but our old sport fit within the length allowed (20')

when the city did the measurement, they did NOT include the front A frame or the rear bumper, just the body itself
__________________
2023 25' FB FC, hatch, Queen, 30A, 1AC, Awning pkg, Convection uwave.
Multiplus 12/3000-50, 700A Lion, MPPT 100/30, Orion-TR 30, Cerbo GX,GX touch 50, Lynx distributor, dual BMV-712, smart shunt 500A&1000A, RUUVI temp/humidity sensors
NCR , Ontario, VE3HIU since 1978
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:16 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
From the Ottawa zoning by-law definitions section:

interior side yard setback which means the shortest distance between the side lot line not abutting a street and any part of a building between the front and rear yards


So yes, the side yard would start at the front of the house.
thank you both, in Ottawa, majority house does not have a side yard, the house space between your neighbor is less than 3 feet on one side and another side is probably only 8 feet.
Ericca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:22 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
in Ottawa, they only check if there is a complaint

we had a complaint from a bad neighbor, but our old sport fit within the length allowed (20')

when the city did the measurement, they did NOT include the front A frame or the rear bumper, just the body itself
Thanks @waninae39, I saw your post fight with the City a few years back. I am really happy that you confirmed they only measure the body length, but I am just afraid it depends on the city enforcement officer ( you never know if you can get a nice officer to do the measurement).

20 feet body length can give me more selections, I probably can get those 22 feet or even 23 feet models, such as Bambi or Caravel.
Ericca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 6
I saw you upgrade to a 25 feet now, just wondering if you found a storage to park it? I am trying to find out the running cost in the worst case.

Thanks.
Ericca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:25 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
in Ottawa, they only check if there is a complaint

we had a complaint from a bad neighbor, but our old sport fit within the length allowed (20')

when the city did the measurement, they did NOT include the front A frame or the rear bumper, just the body itself
I saw you upgrade to a 25 feet now, just wondering if you found a storage to park it and how much does it cost? I am trying to find out the running cost in the worst case.

Thanks.
Ericca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ottawa ON owners- any BYLAW As parking issues waninae39 Community Polls 25 11-21-2017 04:10 PM
Rear bumper INSIDE length measurement tusocks Bumpers & Bumper Storage 1 11-12-2017 09:55 PM
Parking on steep driveway KarensHere Solo Streamers 23 01-05-2013 02:49 PM
Parking on driveway incline? Bellah Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers 13 01-21-2011 08:48 PM
What length do I use for a campground measurement? TBKP's Overlander On The Road... 7 02-10-2004 06:49 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.