Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
I'm just learnin'

One petty thing that torques me is the pocket full of keys I have to carry for this little thing ! Two or three of these locks should be keyed alike !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #82
Craftsman

Hey you revived the thread after more than a year.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
I have to agree on the keys.
All the compartments should at least be the same.
Gotta ask why this "design improvement" thread is not a regular "Designers Cafe" hang out? Not a gripe area but an improvment-designs update area.
Stream Safe-
Bob U-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, nobody mentioned a strippo. How about a stripped model for beginners. Take a basic Safari and leave out the microwave oven and use that space for kitchen storage. Leave out the roof air and install a third basic vent. No floor carpet, all vinyl flooring. No bedding, covers pillows etc. Leave out the radio and sound system. Make the fold out table with one top, not two. Install a stove top only, no oven Etc.
Now, I would make this trailer pre-wired for everything. Owner wants to add A/C, Oven, Fantastic fans, Stereo, Microwave Etc. everything justs fits in place and plugs in.
Sell the strippo at an affordable price and let the owner slowly bring it up to the level they want as they can afford to.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:57 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Automated awnings. To put ours up/down is hard for me, but impopssible for my wife.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #86
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dump the cheap windows and put the CCD/Classic windows as the primary windows befitting a premium brand.

I'd also have a much more stringent QC department......and a 5 year warranty (Airstreams use to have a lifetime warranty)...again, befitting a premium brand and backing up the commitment to quality by putting it on the line for the first 5 years of ownership.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #87
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd also improve the dealer network in sales, size and mainly service. There are only a handful of really good service locations around the country.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I would like to see '"thermopane"? windows installed --- windows are the biggest spource of heat and cooling loss. love all the light but the heat transfered there is hube.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Outside:
-incorporated back-up cam as an option
-Silent Methanol Fuel cell as an option (EFOY 600 (25W) is $2600)
-flat sat TV antenna (KVH TrackVision) option instead of the normal antenna
-slightly smaller airco on the 16 ft Bambi.
-LED lights all around, not just for the rear lights.

Inside:
-quieter fridge with temp control, for me the fridge is way to cold.
-LED lights everywhere except for the reading lights
-LCD based water/gas/battery check pannel
-build in iPod holder/charger (12v) instead of a CD player
-Smaller kitchen fan (Bambi 16/19)
-Bathroom door should open in other direction (in 16 Ft Bambi)
-Use of more modern materials inside, like lightweight and durable Alucobond instead of old fashioned, thick and heavy woodpulp panels.
-bring back the disappearing (folding) toilet seat in the 16 ft Bambi with little wasbasin
-all aluminum kitchen top, so it will be lighter and the sink can be a bit bigger
-Table in 16ft should be more rounded (I'm not large at all, but have a hard time sitting down/ getting up) and have a stronger stand.
-Lockable door on under bed storage.. the open when you climb hills.

Most importantly.. Airstreams should go back to their origins.. LIGHTWEIGHT! and innovative solutions!
sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[quote=Silvertwinkie]Dump the cheap windows and put the CCD/Classic windows as the primary windows befitting a premium brand.

Hi, make several choices of windows available; And please don't dump the [Inexpensive] "Cheap Windows" in the Safari line, I actually like those "Cheap Windows" the best.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Ahem....how about improving the door lock system?
After helping Kim in her 25ft CCD 'break' into her trailer at Lake San Antonio after just shutting her door you would have thought that I would have learned or prepared for same such occurance, but NOOOOooooo! I got locked out of my 2004 Bambi CCD trailer at the last Rally in 29Palms in 29 degree weather...just stepped out for a pic of the snow falling...yessirree.....had to call AAA to 'break' into mine...no permanent damage, but I had to think, it 'coulda' happened the nite before when I stepped out to put the trash in the back of my truck at 11:30 the nite before, and I was in my Jammies! at 18 Degrees Fahrenheit! Brrrrrr...rrrrr
It seems the problem is the 'slide' lock just slowly jiggles more to the lock position on it's own, and then 'springs' locked.....dumb!

This has happened to no less than 10 other people in the very same way as happened to me that people from our Rally personally knew!
Sooooo my suggestion is a combination lock!!!

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Brad, I second the automated awnings. There is no way I can handle them without getting whiplash and a rotator cuff tear. I'm not a wuss, but I am an average-sized woman who should be able to manage this task...
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am short for a man, 5'-6" and have a bad back so it was really hard for me to get enough leverage to fully extend our awning on our 30'. That thing weighs a ton. When our rear arm collapsed during a thunderstorm and I had to order a new one, I also ordered a pair of "Lift Handles". They are $28/pair and use a cam action to slide along the slider bar and really give you extra leverage and make all the difference in the world. In fact the second time I used them I slid the internal bar (main arm) out of the external tube and separated the two!

I really don't know why Airstream doesn't just include them on every trailer considering the number of Sr.'s and women that purchase new Airstreams. They really are worth the $28 and Airstream would pay way less with manufacturer's discount or bulk discount or whatever.

Attached is a photo from Zip-Dee's website of the lift handles in use.
Attached Images

WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Lift Handles

I love the lift handles! I am in agreement with Minnie's Mate I believe they should come standard. It makes lifting the heavy support arm a lot easier. You can place the handle at any point along the support arm so that no matter what your height you can maximize the lift. They easily attached and can be removed if you trade AS.

Vickie (Mrs. Towdaddy)
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #95
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sos10
-flat sat TV antenna (KVH TrackVision) option instead of the normal antenna
Though not flat, I did see a special build on the line a few years back where they had the autotrack dome installed. This clearly was not on ANY options list I had viewed and to this day, I don't think it's in any standard literature either.

It's important to understand that the factory is fairly flexible to a point. One can ask and sometimes might be shocked at what can be done.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #96
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS

Hi, make several choices of windows available; And please don't dump the [Inexpensive] "Cheap Windows" in the Safari line, I actually like those "Cheap Windows" the best.
Good point, an option would be great. I've had two sets...one on the Bambi and one on the current Safari. Both have gaps and leak air and sound. I had to re-gasket some of them to keep the outside out, which isn't an issue for the CCD/Classic windows.....but I totally agree, option would be better than to nix totally.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #97
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
Ahem....how about improving the door lock system?
I agree, the lock on our '04 was an issue. I took it apart after I first got it and placed some white lithum grease on the mechs....I haven't had an issue since (now watch, I jinxed myself...next time I go to the trailer, I'll be locked out. ). This has happened to a number of owners.....but I don't know if I've heard it much past the '04 build year.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #98
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I called the factory and asked if I could special order the Safari 30' Bunk with the CCD/Classic windows nearly two and a half years ago and was told no. They wanted to keep the Safari line separate from the CCD/Classic line to "Preserve the investment that those customers had made." It was only about four months later that the Safari 25' FB SE was introduced. So much for protecting those customer's investments!

To change them out now runs about $700 per window. My 30' Safari has seven windows on the sides. That would cost nearly $5000 to replace them. More than I want to spend out of pocket. But I probably would have considered it if I could have ordered them at a lower cost (CCD/Classic window minus the cost of the Hehr windows) and rolled the cost into the financing.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #99
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I called the factory and asked if I could special order the Safari 30' Bunk with the CCD/Classic windows nearly two and a half years ago and was told no. They wanted to keep the Safari line separate from the CCD/Classic line to "Preserve the investment that those customers had made." It was only about four months later that the Safari 25' FB SE was introduced. So much for protecting those customer's investments!

To change them out now runs about $700 per window. My 30' Safari has seven windows on the sides. That would cost nearly $5000 to replace them. More than I want to spend out of pocket. But I probably would have considered it if I could have ordered them at a lower cost (CCD/Classic window minus the cost of the Hehr windows) and rolled the cost into the financing.
I hear ya...I was in the same boat.

Who quoted you the $700 per window? That was an installed price? I have 7 windows total and would consider it myself......
Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #100
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I hear ya...I was in the same boat.

Who quoted you the $700 per window? That was an installed price? I have 7 windows total and would consider it myself......
Yes, that was the installed price Rich Luhr paid to have one put over his dinette table in his 30' Bunk. You might get a discount if you have all of them replaced at one time, I don't know. I believe the Vista View he had installed in his bedroom was less than $300, IIRC.
WBCCI# 4821