Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
What would I like to see in new Airstreams? What would make me buy a new one?
Well let me tell ya…. That four season option would be one thing! Cutting the weight bloat would be another. And a second door would be a huge plus. Those are the Big Three.
Let me identify the market segment I would belong to…. For us, our Airstream is mobile quarters while traveling. The trip is the thing, not necessarily the destination. Except for the dog shows! That’s one of our primary reasons for travel…. To show the dogs! We generally stay on the show grounds so we are near all the action, and have our creature comforts close. We’re empty nesters, with pockets that are not all that deep. We spend a few weekends a year in campgrounds nearby, and take several lengthy trips each year.
Outside cell phone antennae would be nifty. I want the trailer protected from brownouts, power surges, and all power filtered and conditioned to protect my sometimes finicky electronics devices. Cable and CAT connections would be handy. A spot found to install generators for up to 50 amps, perhaps enclosed and a fuel storage area, or a planned space for me to install later.
As for those magazine racks you guys are all hot to have….. ummm….. no….. no wait! I could store the laptop in one!
I want the interior simple. Get rid of the carpeting! ALL the carpeting must go! I don’t run a vacuum at home, why in the world should I while on the road? Give me cushy, light weight, impervious flooring! I can always change out throw rugs for a different look or when they are dirty. And while I’m thinking about it, give me a kitchen sink with spout I can actually get something under! Like a Moen hi-lo setup. And how about some sort of pressure regulator or booster where I can actually get some water pressure there, more than a mere trickle! And some place other than the shower to store my outside collapsible trash can, broom, mop, small bucket, and (gasp!) ironing board! Figure out a way to have the microwave without wasting space around it or having to pull stuff out to use it! That pull out counter in our 1983 is one of my favorite touches, use it all the time!
In the bathroom, I can’t say I am discontent. Two more power outlets would be helpful, and using a riser unit for all toilets would be a good idea.
Bedrooms… better mattresses for sure! And those beds should be hinged to pull up so you can store long items in the area between the storage drawers. We did this when we first bought our 83… there I can stow grooming arms, short flagpoles, and several longish items, including support poles for the sunshade. And adjustable reading lamps over the bed! Maybe a halogen lamp on an arm that could be locked down for travel.
The closet…. I wish it had a sturdier bottom shelf! I stack heavier items there, under hung up shirts. Bruce finally reinforced the shelf so it would actually support some weight!
Living room… well, options to let those that select, have those recliners or reading chairs rather than the sofa. When I think on it, those chairs that make into a bed aren’t a bad idea. Of course, you would lose the under sofa storage but what do you REALLY use it for? I store bedding, table linens, booze, and my sunshade there. In any event, changeable covers for all upholstery! I really like that idea! Regarding window treatments, I don’t care one way or the other… I like my roller shades but would LOVE something like is on airline windows, where it rolls into concealed area. And I really want tiebacks of some kind on those drapes! I need to get those out of the way of the dogs… Calla hangs out on the end of the sofa and keeps watch through the curved windows up front.
Outside, well again, at least two more outlets! And better lighting, front and back, and maybe a low placed step light, with a light that actually lets me see where to stick the key to unlock!
Ya know? If I really thought about it, I bet I could come up with a whole list of things! Like using corrugated product for interior walls and cabinet cases, laminating other materials to fronts and backs… light, strong, and still able to make a fashion statement if desired.
Oh jeez. Let me think about this a little……. There have GOT to be some things that would improve an Airstream….. just one or two!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
A few more ideas...

Thought of a few more:

For us folks with no kids (empty nesters or just by choice) but with pets (which, there seems to be quite a few of us out there), how about an option for a pull out pet bed, perhaps stored under the sofa?

Or an option to have the same United Shade covers on all the side windows as are used on the ceiling sky lights and port windows (they are accordian style and work great! Much better than the roll-up tension shades). I know that the skylights and port windows don't open, so that might be an issue, but there has got to be some clever enough people at A/S or United Shade who could figure out how to make it work with a window that does open.

Don't know if there is even any RV appropriate technolgy out there, but how about a dishwasher option? We seem to entertain enough using our A/S that hand washing that many dishes for a dinner party is a real pain.

Or an option to have a stainless steel countertop next to the kitchen sink that will drain right into the sink to ease with dish drying, prepping foods, etc. Plus it will make the galley look more like a gourmet kitchen!

How about a tow hitch option for the trailer to easily attach a bike rack, ski rack, or other gear? I know this would start to add some weight to the rear and will accentuate sway, but maybe on those equipped and loaded as such, just balance it out by loading more weight to the front of the trailer?

An option to have a dedicated wine fridge would be wonderful - one where we could lay our bottles down sideways and have some sort of securing device for transit mode, with a digital thermometer to regulate the right temp for reds/whites/champagne - in fact, dual temp zones like those featured in a sub-zero wine fridge would be great!

Option to have an external LP gas hookup that we could easily attach a line to and connect our propane BBQ to (the after market T-adaptor we have is a pain - we have to disconnect with a wrench each time we have to fill the tanks, then re-attach. A simple connector located somewhere along the LP gas line or maybe in a lockable box on the street side or near the front would be great.)

An option to have an affixed ladder to access the roof for repairs/cleaning/polishing, etc.

An option to have higher end cushions for the dinnette area and sofa -e.g. thicker, maybe with a synthetic pillow cushion that feels like down.

An option to have a built in vacuuming system, like you see in some homes where you just connect the hose to a wall port, or just sweep dust and dirt into a suctioning vent, with the catch canister accessible from the exterior.

Well, as more ideas hit, I will post again!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
good heavens

all i ask of my trailer is a cute, safe place to sleep when on the road. it still thrills me that the lights turn on.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
And, how about for flooring using some sort of that plastic molded sawdust type stuff that is being used in other construction methods. It would be impervous to water damage, it could be manufactured in single sheets exactly to the correct size, and it would not rot, mold mildew or absorb anything. It should have decent R Factor, and more than adequate strength as well without breaking the weight parameters.

Replacement floors could be made for those needing the full monte due to floor rot.

I am not an engineer and so there is probably someone out there that can give me a jillion reasons why this is a bad idea...then again, maybe it would work...

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dump the cheap windows on the Safari line.

Other than that, keep making new floorplans and revising the older ones.

For example. I'm looking at the 25' SE, but would have loved the 31' Dinette if it had some more space between the couch and the dinette like the 30' without having a pass through bathroom in the main hall.

Alas, it's still the coolest coach on this rock, even without my suggestions!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
On the all season side, I would like to see double paned windows all around. Adding vents that blow hot air UP the trailer walls and windows will help cut down on interion condensation. I'd also like to see better insulation inside the walls.

Last night was a cold night in the trailer. I had time to think about these things while the heater was trying to warm us up.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
On the all season side, I would like to see double paned windows all around. Adding vents that blow hot air UP the trailer walls and windows will help cut down on interion condensation. I'd also like to see better insulation inside the walls.

Last night was a cold night in the trailer. I had time to think about these things while the heater was trying to warm us up.
Ditto with Chris (and if you think your night was cold, we are at 9.300 ft elev and boy, it drops below freezing regularly up here now!). But realize that with the CCD model, since there is no lining on the ceiling or walls as in the Safari or Classic model, when it drops below a certain temp, condensation on the interior aluminum finish will happen. It happens on the Safari and Classic models also, it's just that one can't see the condensation as it is absorbed or hidden by the lining. We usually have our shower vent on to pull some of the condesation out of our AS.

Maybe instead of having forced air heating, an option to have radiant heat under the floor would be great for the winterized option model (or any model for that matter). It would also solve the issue for those of us with dust allergies or who don't like the smell resulting from using the forced air heater.

Perhaps instead of using the standard fiberglass insulation inside the walls, how about the option to use structurally insulated panels (SIPS) as used by timberframe homes. These consist of, typically, a urethane core sandwiched between two OSB boards - great structural strength, high R insulating value, etc. These could work great on an airstream, especially a winterized version!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

get someone with a little style to pick out the fabrics........ugly!!!!
they seem to have no taste in ohio.................
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

This thread has some overlaps with one with 61 posts about 14 months ago at
http://www.airforums.com/forum...zed+frame+nick

My main thoughts remain as:
1. Corrosion resistant frame. How about a galvanized frame as an extra cost option?

2. Rot-resistant floor. How about dipping the plywood or OSB in one of the new, safer, chemicals? (i.e not CCA)

3. Stainless steel fastenings on exterior fittings like light covers and antennae? The zinc electro-plated steel screws corrode within a few years. Stainless fastenings are very little more expensive when purchased in bulk, and there are very few of them.

4. The fresh water tank filler to be on the other side of the trailer, where the water supply will be.

5. Ducted wiring runs, accessible for maintenance and upgrades.

6. Plumbing pipes to be accessible for maintenance and replacement.

7. Access plate to maintain dump valves. I could hardly believe the instructions in the manual.... "first take your aircraft style snips and cut a large hole in the bottom of the trailer...."

8. Reliable level gauges for the tanks

9. Shock absorbers that can be removed without removing axles or bending brackets.

10. Entrance door hinges that can be removed and maintained without cutting holes in the inner skin. Captive nuts would deal with that.

11. An intelligent 4 stage battery charger and converter as a factory option. (This may be already an option, I don't know)

12. Windows bolted in with stainless nuts and bolts. The existing plated self-tappers make it very difficult to clean the outside of the window frames without injury to one's hands, or tearing a cloth etc. They also look horrible.

13. Overall, a recognition that any part may need to be replaced or maintained, and that the engineering should reflect that reality.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #30
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mechanical access

Quote:
Overall, a recognition that any part may need to be replaced or maintained, and that the engineering should reflect that reality.
Just ran into that yesterday. I was adding a 12v outlet below the wardrobe for plugging in my Constant Breeze fan. Reaching in through the removed drawer opening to attach the wires is pretty tight, so I started to remove the floor of the wardrobe. Surprize, it doesn't remove! The water pump and a lot of plumbing is under there and I wonder how one would ever replace the pump or fix a leak, let alone simply remove the water pump filter to clean it out or for winterizing.

I'm thinking about installing a marine deck plate directly above the water pump for access.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:30 AM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
12v outlets

An external 12v outlet for plugging in a 12v compressor would be a welcome addition. One on each side near the tires would be perfect.

I have installed a 12v outlet in the refrigerator compartment, which solves the problem on the road side. The curb side is a bit more problimatical, but a second outlet just inside the door would allow one to easily reach the tires on all trailers except, perhaps, the rear tires on a 34'.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Add a two way valve by the water pump to allow pumping of RV antifreeze. Problem for me at this point is to add the valve, I need to relocate the pump due to the wheel well being so close to the pump.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #33
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
how about an onboard air compressor that could air tires, supply an air ride suspention and be plumbed to instantly winterize the trailer!

i agree with nick about the hardware issues, and almost have every screw on the trailer changed to stainless.

john
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Dump the cheap windows on the Safari line.

that, would probably mean a second loan......so what do you want egg in your beer?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
how about ..... plumbed to instantly winterize the trailer!

ill drink to that!
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 08-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
An external 12v outlet for plugging in a 12v compressor would be a welcome addition. One on each side near the tires would be perfect.

I have installed a 12v outlet in the refrigerator compartment, which solves the problem on the road side. The curb side is a bit more problimatical, but a second outlet just inside the door would allow one to easily reach the tires on all trailers except, perhaps, the rear tires on a 34'.
get one of those toy dart guns, then you can shoot the cord over to your outlet....
norby

Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Good thread. Some of the improvements on my wish list, docking light, 12v outlets on both sides of trailer, more light on the jack area, power mgt center, etc were done last month. See thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=tin+hut

I would like a better turn key winterizing system as well.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I was adding a 12v outlet so started to remove the floor of the wardrobe. Surprize, it doesn't remove! The water pump and a lot of plumbing is under there and I wonder how one would ever replace the pump or fix a leak, let alone simply remove the water pump filter to clean it out or for winterizing.
I find it quite astonishing that the water pump is inaccessible. One would expect to clean the filter once a year, at least. On my 1988 Excella there is a removeable floor in the wardrobe for pump access, and there is a kerbside 120 volt double receptacle. In this thread we are listing possible improvements, but in these two examples the model has deteriorated over the past 18 years. I presume the company is responding to their percieved priorities of purchasers of new trailers. If such purchasers put TVs, fabrics and faucets as higher priorities than longevity and ease of maintenance, any company will reflect those priorities to maximize sales and profits in the interests of its shareholders. Still, the company could perhaps save by NOT fastening down the wardrobe floor!
Nick.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #39
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I'm totally with Jack on the winterizing valve:

"A pre-installed Camco (or something like it) winterizing kit on every unit that leaves the factory.

To install this valve after the fact involves moving the pump toward the front of the coach, as well as re-working a little bit of plumbing.

The kit is under $20.00, and to install it at the time of assembly would require minimal additional time.

I know when I bring my CCD in to Jackson Center next spring for warrenty service I am going to have the service dept. install the one I bought. My guess is that I will have to pay for this."
Old 08-29-2005, 10:33 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Great Ideas, but---

Lots of good ideas but I'd like to add-- for short people like the wife or kids??-- a wall switch for the over head lights--how about replacing the step light with a motion sensor light or at least replace the existing light with one that has some light. Seems we always leave when it's daylight & return when it's dark. Also it would be good for warnings when uninvited guests are out & about. A built in quality water filter, along with a quiet pump. Did someone mention an external WiFi antenna??? A built in front level. There's more Stay tuned.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote