Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinj79 View Post
They have not been replaced but seem to work fine, the trailer rides level and seems to take bumps OK. But good to know about the modern hub options, thanks.
I just put new axles under my '75, you can read about it here.

The more or less definitive test is to lift the trailer by jacking up on the frame or the mounting flange (never the axle itself) and observe how far the axle moves as you take the weight off it. When it was originally built, the axle's "starting angle" was 22.5 degrees down from horizontal. If the axles stays at 0 degrees when you unweight it, or only drops to 5 degrees or so, it's time to look at new ones. If you still have good motion, things may still be working as designed.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
The OEM furnace is installed, but my dad got tired of fixing it so he put in a catalytic space heater to take the edge off cold mornings.
A catalytic has advantages and disadvatages. Advantages: no moving parts, simple. Disadvantages: heats objects not spaces, ventilation necessary to avoid croaking.

You will probably find you will not find anyone to work on the old furnace and parts are difficult if not impossible to find. It is not rocket science to replace and as with axles lots of stuff in the anals of the forums if you do a search.

If you are anything like me, you will try to resurrect the old dinosaur but end up replacing it anyway.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
A catalytic has advantages and disadvatages. Advantages: no moving parts, simple. Disadvantages: heats objects not spaces, ventilation necessary to avoid croaking.
Or mission radius is about 2 days from San Diego, so all I really need is warm-up on cold mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
You will probably find you will not find anyone to work on the old furnace and parts are difficult if not impossible to find. It is not rocket science to replace and as with axles lots of stuff in the anals of the forums if you do a search.

If you are anything like me, you will try to resurrect the old dinosaur but end up replacing it anyway.
That's probably what I would have done, except my dad already went down that road, so I'll learn from his experience. I can always replace it with a modern unit if I need that much heat (unlikely).
merlinj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lucan , Ontario
Quote:
What's a good chemical to clean the plastic sink and tub? I tried a dish-detergent solution but there are still stains. I was hesitant to step up to comet...

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Glang227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
They have both fixtures and bulbs that fit in Factory Fixtures such as 1156 bulbs. I replaced all my outside lights and most of my inside lights. I figure I spent about $200. It was well worth the money. One ticket in Florida for a burned out bulb is $118.
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Brookfield , Illinois
On the topic of the yellowed sink & bathroom stuff:

here's the thread for how to whiten up yellowed plastics.

And the recipe for Retr0Bright.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
One of the best inventions of this century,
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote